Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op Abdominoplasty and Inner thigh lift-Warning LONG :)

Good morning all! As promised here is my recap from my plastic surgery on July 2, 2013! I'll try to be as brief as possible because nobody wants to read a six page recap, but they want the dirty details :)

March 2010-Bariatric Surgery-Gastric Sleeve started at 265 lbs 5'5" tall

May 2013 down to 185 lbs (80 lbs down) could have dropped about 15 more but I've been around 160 and with my body frame I look too skinny less than 160 and I knew I'd lost about 15 lbs for sure with PS so I wanted to cap it off somewhere were I wouldn't be unhappy.

March 2013 I start the Plastic Surgeon search and since my insurance will be covering the Abdominoplasty, I started with those in my insurance plan of course. Anything above and beyond my tt, i would be covering out of pocket so of course I got a few different consultations to see what would be the best options for my legs.

I decided on Dr Daniela Rodgriguez out of Saint Clair Shores, Michigan who previously did a Lower Body Lift on a good friend of mine, also post op Bariatric surgery and she also did just a tt on a co-worker, also post op Bariatric Surgery.

I also had a ventral hernia that had to be repaired so we decided on the following: Ventral Hernia Repair, Abdominoplasty, and Bilateral Inner Thigh Lift. VOILA! Secured my loan through Fundmydr.com and then paid the remaining portion out of pocket ($5000 loan, 12 months same as cash loan from Fundmydr.com and I paid $3000 out of pocket).

July 2nd booked as it worked fantastic for my work schedule and for those I'd need for post op care. Bummer it was holiday week but things just fell into place with work and that being the most important, we took it. :)

Day before surgery nerves are a little rough and if you tell me that you weren't nervous one bit, you're full of it :) Took that day off for a mental and house prep day: did laundry, bought groceries (having been through the sleeve I stuck with a similar post op diet of Gatorade, popsicles, broth Soups, Jello until I knew how I'd feel), gassed up car, paid bills, just basically took care of all things I would have to do that week but didn't want to deal with when I came home on Wednesday.

Morning of surgery I'm doing ok, just want to get it over with at this point. Show up at hospital for a 9 am case bbecause I got bumped from original 730 time slot because someone wanted their boobies done and apparently that case takes less time so they got to go first :) Fine by me, I was just happy to be there :)

Surgery was approximately 7 hours, orginially boarded for 5, but we all know how it goes and I'm ok with her taking longer to make sure all is done properly and to the best of her ability.

Stayed overnight and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you have the opportunity to stay, take the option to do so and let the hospital staff keep you comfortable. I know some have had the tt alone and went outpatient but adding in the hernia and the legs I was a little overwhelmed with the leg discomfort and am very glad I decided to stay. When people tell you the first

48-72 hours are the roughest, they are telling the God's Honest Truth! I'll try and post pictures so you can see what I mean about the leg cuts so you'll understand why I mean those were the worst part.

I did have the ON-Q Numbing Ball (had this with my sleeve so I was aware of what this was) and I that inserted before they closed me up and it just emptied out yesterday so it lasted me just about 5 days and seemed to help in addition to the Vicodin. Dr sent me home with Keflex, Vicodin, and Valium (to help with muscle spasms) and so far so good.

Have an abdominal binder on my stomach and my legs are wrapped with bandages until I see the Dr on Wednesday, then I'll get my full on garment once my drain tubes come out. Pretty much doing baby wipe baths with some help in the hair department from my mother to make sure I stay clean :)

Drain tubes are a bit of a nightmare with the logging of the number of CCs they are taking out of my body and the draining of them, but it's a necessary evil :) I have four of them: one in each hip and one in each leg but it could have been worse as I've heard of people having up to 10 drains (God Bless them for sure!!! ) Going to the surgeon's office tomorrow (Monday July 8th) to see the NP to get at least my two leg drains out and hopefully if the two on my hips stay under 30ccs all day and night tonight, they can come out too, if not the hips have to wait until Wednesday.

I'm not a fan of taking pain meds so I've been weaning down from one vicodin every 4 hours to taking one every 6 hours and will gradually get to taking one every 8 or as needed. Taking the Keflex every 4 hours and the Valium for the majority only at night but I did take one or two during the first two days home just to relax me to rest. Still numb near my incision sites but I'm told that lasts a while :)

All in all, it's been just as I thought it would be with the pain of my legs being a bit of a surprise but handling it well. Also, lower back pain was a bit of a surprise but makes sense because you are hunched over so be prepared for that lower back ache.

The most important things is to rest, listen to your doctor's instructions, rest, listen to your body, rest, take your pain meds on schedule to keep the majority of the pain at bay, rest....did I mention rest? :) I'm not an idle person so this was a challenge for me no doubt!

I'm new to this site so I'll see if I can post some pics on here of some befores and afters! If I do it right, you'll see a picture of this "fake penis" that will help those who had the leg incisions where squating down on the toilet is really tough and painful for the first few days. Found it on Amazon.com for about 10 dollars.

Thanks for the ears and eyes for that matter! It's nice to read the knowledge of those who have been before me and pass on my knowledge to those that will come after!

I appreciate the support and the positive reinforcements before surgery and please don't hesitate to ask any questions about something I might have forgotten to mention!

Jennifer

P.S. Having trouble with pics so if you don't see them here, please check my profile :)

Thank you for sharing.. I am 18 months out and NEED a TT. The legs I can live with. I'm only 5ft tall and have lost about 65 lbs, but working out steady and losing inches all the time. This abdomen has to go ...I'll be looking forward to more information and PICTURES. Take care , wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Happy! I posted pics under my profile and I hope I set it up right so you can see if not let me know and I can make it more public if I need to! :) Yeah, my insurance paying for the tt was the spark because I was worried that when benefits changed for 2014, what if they decided to not cover it at all or what if it was twice as hard to get it approved!

OMG!!!! I just looked at your pics. Hurts me so bad. You are one tough woman....

Where can I find the pics. I don't see them on your profile. I wanna see I wanna see!! Lol

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and thank you for sharing. Can't find the pics either, please repost.

Just had my TT on June 11th and a bilateral arm lift. The TT has been rough. Swelling is pretty awful. My arms have not been that much of an issue. They both look great. It's just going to take time for the swelling to dissipate. I might wait a few years on the thighs. This has been enough for now :) Congrats!!!

Thank you for sharing.. I'm serious about the Tummy Tuck. My legs are not right, but I can live with them. I have a few questions. What did your insurance require to have this done? I heard you had to lose 100 lbs but I see that you didn't. Did you have issues other than rash? Did they do liposuction with the tummy tuck? It looks like some fat is missing too. You look so much thinner. Someone posted how great your surgical lines look and I have to agree. I have seen some messed up photos. Thanks again, you've given me inspiration.

WOWZERS, your surgeon did an amazing job! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

You are such a brave women! It looks like alot of pain but I am sure it was worth it to ya because you look fabulas. Can you post after pics from healing a few weeks? Oh Please!!

How do I get to your pics under your profile? Thanks for posting about your xperience. How are you?

Just saw your pics, the sites where the drains are, are they going to make "dog ears" that are going to have to be corrected later? Also, you showed pics of what I think are your thigh incisions, but not of the actual thighs themselves, before and after, to get an idea. I'm most concerned with my thighs and arms, because the abdomen can be dressed and disguised but the arms and thighs can't. Maybe it's just the way I've lost the weight but my upper thighs are just empty shriveled pudding skin and no matter how thick the fabric, they look quite misshapen in pants, more like a pair of funky arms rather than legs :/ I have to wear a long leg body shaper several sizes too small and loose legged trousers in a stiff fabric in order for my legs to look nice.

Hello Hope you are doing well. Would you post some new pics so we can see how your doing. Thanks for sharing your awesome :)

Hi MAMAuntie, just wondering how you're doing and how the healing has gone. Would love to see some current pictures of your surgery!