Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teachers Supporting Sleeved Teachers

I'm a teacher too. I had my surgery on June 17th..... I'm looking fwd to feeling better in the classroom! More Energy! Yeah!

I'm already 30 lbs down!!!!

How's everyone doing?? I'm getting nervous!! I'm afraid I might back out...'August 1 is sooo close!!!

I only wish I had done this sooner. I am 7 months out and have my life back. I still have a way to go but know it is absolutely something do-able! What you are going through is normal. There are good days and bad ones, and fear of such a change is normal!! Trust in the decisions that got you here and in the doctor!! Let us hear from you.

Hello everyone, I am not a teacher yet, but I am finishing my last year of school which consist of two student internships. By the time I step into my internship classroom I will only be a week and three days out form surgery, so I'm not sure how I will feel and I know I still will not be able to lift anything too heavy. I wanted to ask all of you should I explain to the teacher I am working with my situation or only if I absolutely need to? My worst fear is that he or she will think I am being difficult.

Congrats on getting to your final internships. I am sure this is a very exciting time for you with both your WLS and your new career. You probably will be feeling better by the time you go back to school. If you are asked to do any heavy lifting you could just tell your cooperating teacher that you just had surgery and right now the doctor told you no heavy lifting. You do not need to say what kind of surgery if you do not want to. Can't imagine you would have to do much lifting anyway. Good luck and enjoy your final year! :rolleyes:

Hello everyone, I am not a teacher yet, but I am finishing my last year of school which consist of two student internships. By the time I step into my internship classroom I will only be a week and three days out form surgery, so I'm not sure how I will feel and I know I still will not be able to lift anything too heavy. I wanted to ask all of you should I explain to the teacher I am working with my situation or only if I absolutely need to? My worst fear is that he or she will think I am being difficult.

Hello everyone' date=' I am not a teacher yet, but I am finishing my last year of school which consist of two student internships. By the time I step into my internship classroom I will only be a week and three days out form surgery, so I'm not sure how I will feel and I know I still will not be able to lift anything too heavy. I wanted to ask all of you should I explain to the teacher I am working with my situation or only if I absolutely need to? My worst fear is that he or she will think I am being difficult.[/quote']

I can't imagine you'll do much lifting at all. I wouldn't even worry about telling your cooperating teacher about it. By 8 days out i felt great, and ad resumed most of my daily activity. I did my student teaching 13 years go, but the first few weeks all I did was shadow the teacher and help the kids in centers. I did kindergarten and grade 5! Could be a totally different situation by now LOL! Good luck with your surgery, and your student teaching!

I just finished my first week of school after having surgery in June. I am tired but I do have to say teaching is so much easier physically with 35 less pounds. Bending over to tie shoes and to talk to students is much easier. Wishing everyone a great school year full of student success and health success!

This was a post from one of my past teacher aids that worked in my office with me.

"The good dishes that stay in the cabinet, the crystal vase that has never held flowers, the party dress that hasn't been to a party... what are you waiting for? Enjoy them! This is the life you've been given. Live it and love it!"

I think it is very insightful for such a young person and we need to take her advice! Work that sleeve and begin to really live our lives!! :)

Hi I'm a 9th grade high school teacher. I am ONE week away from my surgery and am hoping I can return in a week. My surgery is on 9/11 so I'm hoping to heal as much as I can over the weekend! I requested 10 days but crossing my fingers that I won't need them. I am using all of my sick days at once :(

How are my fellow sleeved teachers? Anyone have advice on what I should stock up on? Does anyone know if we can take gas medication to help relieve the gas pains?

????

Hey pep,

Welcome!! I bought the Gas-X strips and never used them. If you'd like, PM me with your name and address and I'll send them to you. I'm just over 2 months out and figure if I haven't used them at this point chances are I don't need them!!

Most amazing feeling to start school and my students in shock! One of my high school students sent out a text to a few that graduated last year telling them they had to see me. Next thing I know, they are school checking me out. I love being healthy and having more energy to teach. It's so exiting!

Sw 203 cw 153

June 19

I had surgery on a Wednesday and could have easily gone back on a Monday. After day 5 you are fine if you are like me.

Hi! I'm a teacher in Texas and I agree. I could have easily gone back to work earlier too. I wish I read this before my surgery. I had to take the only 7 days I had for the year :(

Quick question: when was surgery and how was your weight loss. You and I had the same staring weight and I can't wait to see me in the 150's!!!!

I don't know if having hiatal hernia surgery also made the difference but I had required training this summer 8 days after gastric sleeve surgery but I was in so much pain at the training that I was not sure if I was going to make it through the training. At lunch I had to go home and take pain meds to get through the afternoon. I have a high tolerance for pain and I was dying.

I am in a fourth grade teacher in Texas. I was sleeved Oct. 8. My doctor said I could go back to work on Monday, but I don't see how...I am so tired and still experiencing some pain. My principal wont be happy with me...but I have to do this for me. I need a few more days.

I teach 5th grade and was just sleeved 10/8.