Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There are no stupid questions...right?

I was just looking at the thread below with pics of the evacuated stomachs removed during surgery and omg. Huge. My somewhat dumb question is, what happens to the space left in our abdomens? That is a big cavity left behind! Do the rest of our organs shift and fill up the space or what? Can't things get twisted and/or caddywampus in there?!

I was just looking at the thread below with pics of the evacuated stomachs removed during surgery and omg. Huge. My somewhat dumb question is' date=' what happens to the space left in our abdomens? That is a big cavity left behind! Do the rest of our organs shift and fill up the space or what? Can't things get twisted and/or caddywampus in there?![/quote']

I really don't think our stomachs are that big. They blow them up to check them for leaks is what I was told. Lol don't ask me why they check the part cut out for leaks. I guess if it has a leak there's a high chance you have one in the sleeve?

Things shift around just like if you have a hysterectomy, appendectomy, etc. or when you are pregnant. If you can accommodate an 8 pound fetus it's clear there is a lot of flexibility in there.

I always wonder if those Drs that blow gas into the removed stomach do it to show the patient how stretchable the removed part was and how big you could have filled it with food- though I'm sure not as big as they blow it up.

I wanted to see my removed stomach but he didn't show it to me. I was too out of it until the next day to ask again until it was too late.

I always wonder if those Drs that blow gas into the removed stomach do it to show the patient how stretchable the removed part was and how big you could have filled it with food- though I'm sure not as big as they blow it up.

I wanted to see my removed stomach but he didn't show it to me. I was too out of it until the next day to ask again until it was too late.

I definitely would like to see mine! I bet that sucker is huge! Lol

I definitely would like to see mine! I bet that sucker is huge! Lol

lol, my doctor took pictures of my insides during my surgery....removing the lapband, cutting my stomach, etc....and gave them to my aunt, since she was there waiting for me to wake up....she was so fascinated with them she refuse to give them to me.....I've only seen them once, lol

The nurse who assisted me in the hospital said that the removed stomach is about the size of a condom.

I think I can help!!! Lol My stomach picture isn't inflated with gas. It was taken after the leak tests so it's deflated, and more like it would be sitting in our bodies normally (when we weren't stuffing ourselves anyway lol). Here it is next to my LapBand that was removed!

post-52447-13813667405721_thumb.jpg

Lol it does look like a condom!

HAHAHAHAHAHA I never saw it before, but it's probably all I will ever see again looking at it!!!!!!! It's totally a condom!

I may be wrong but I think they fill the removed part up with air to check for leaks ( if there's a leak on the removed part then there could be a leak on the remaining stomach)

I may be wrong but I think they fill the removed part up with air to check for leaks ( if there's a leak on the removed part then there could be a leak on the remaining stomach)

That's exactly how Garcia explained it to me :)

Kristina, the picture you shared of your poor, leftover stomach is both disturbing and fascinating. Wow. It is much smaller when not bloated for the leak check! That shiveled little organ causes me so many issues. Kind of cathartic to see a pic of it looking so defeated lol.