Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this a normal thought presurgery? I can't stop thinking..what if I die and my kids don't have a mom all because I wanted to be skinny? I'm a nurse so I know the risks of surgery and I actually had a patient once who stroked while having gastric bypass and now she's thin but she poops and drools on herself in a nursing home all day. Does anyone else worry about dying or am I the only nut?

I did too. I think it is normal. I told my husband after surgery that I thought I was going to die. He asked me why and I said I did not know...cant explain why!

I thought the same thing when I was gonna have my gallbladder surgery and when I had this one as well. I also thought what if I wake up? I guess it is hard not to think about it because it is there, but everything turned out okay! You'll be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It has crossed my mind lol. I know the chances are slim and I'm banking on being one of the lucky ones. But yeah it's definitely scary. I think the rewards outweigh the risks, in my case at least.

Thought about that too, even up to the moment i entered the OR. But prayed about it constantly. No regrets now. All is well.

Oh bless your heart. I was in tears worrying i'd die too. But, i didn't and have no regrets about doing it. It's something you have to decide for yourself! But yes i do think most people have fears before surgery, and most of the time it turns out just fine.

Any procedure is going to have risk, and it's something that should be considered prior to surgery. I still see the surgery as something that was saving my health. I have diabetes & my blood pressure was high. It was a very slim chance that something was going to happen during surgery. It was a reality that my life was going to be impacted by the diabetes & blood pressure. I tried to lose weight on my own in the past & it came back. This was something that I needed help with & I got it.

I think about it all the time. Like, what if I'm that unlucky % that dies and leaves my babies without a mom?

Then on the other hand I'm like, what kind of mom will I become if everything goes well with surgery? Ill be more active and fun and I'll be able to get down and play with them. I won't be self conscious and wondering if people are stating at me because my my size.

It's a toss up. I've been struggling with my weight forever so it would be nice to not constantly think about it and to feel normal.

Good luck to you! You aren't alone!

Sheena :)

All of us die.... Most of us don't choose when. My Brother reminded me that my Surgery date is the first Anniversary of my Mother's Death. I choose to look at it as the first day of the rest of my life. The risk is higher getting in the car and driving to your Dr's office. Relax..... we're going to be fine. By the way..... I'm a RN too.

I felt that way too. I've felt that way any time I go in for surgery. What helps me to move past it is to write letters to my loved ones, especially each of my kids. I know it's morbid, but at least I'm not leaving things unsaid and they'll know I loved them.

The truth is any of us can die any day. We could be hit by a car or have a freak fall. That doesn't keep us from living our lives. Most of us do this to improve our quality of life.

Hopefully, you're not doing this only to become skinny. If that's the only reaon then maybe it's not worth the risk of dying. Being skinny is not worth dying for. If you're doing this for more reasons than what you stated then I'm assuming they outweigh the risk. They did for me and I'm sure most others here. Good luck :D

I wrote letters to my kids and husband. It's perfectly normal. I am six weeks post now and so happy. It helped new to think that even with complications people almost never ever die and the risk is similar to gallbladder removal and other surgeries.

I worry about this a lot. My closest friend is a doctor and he said for my age (37) that I would be extremely low risk. He spent a lot of time looking up the numbers and he said a large percentage of the 1% (or whatever it is) that die are older people with a lot of other prevalent health issues.

But even with that knowledge, I'm still going to be terrified until I wake up from the procedure, God willing that my insurance approves it.

let me share my experience with you.. I was schedule for surgery on April 8 of this yr went to the hospital and got prepare for surgery and could not go through with it I was at the or door and told them no way.. my nerves got the best of me I could not stop crying the thought of leaving my kids behind was unbearable..so I left and went home only to be disappoint with myself I knew I could not do this by myself so I waited 1 week later and reschedule my surgery for the very next month may 13 I was sleeved im so happy I did this time around I was fine not a nervous bone in my body.. nothing in life is promise if this something you want to do, do it you will be fine hope this helps..

Get a surgeon with a zero mortality rate .