Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think the dr. That does your procedure makes a difference in your weightloss?

No. Once the surgery is over and you survive that, the rest is up to YOU.

As much as I loved my surgeon, I honestly think it only matters so much.

You need to make it out alive and complication free. You need to have some form of follow up (though for me a lot of my follow up is through my PCP and nutritionist, unrelated to my surgeon). But other than that, I don't believe that one surgeon's skill in the OR will make you lose more weight. You need a skilled competent surgeon who will get you through safely and provide some follow up, but for long term weight loss? It's up to you!

Do you think the dr. That does your procedure makes a difference in your weightloss?

Long term? I doubt it, barring any complications.

I think the support that you receive from them makes a difference, but I've venture to guess that a lot of well qualified doctors have patients that aren't as successful, regardless of the support they offer. In order for the procedure to work, you've got to put in the effort.

~Kat

I think there are different techniques used by surgeons, as well as the different bougie sizes...the technique and bougie size used can have an indirect link to the weight loss experienced I think...but I don't think it is a major factor...since the sleeve is just a tool, I believe the most significant factor in subsequent weight loss is how you use that tool

I wouldn't say my surgeon specifically, but the overall team yes. They help you prepare for your journey & provide you with information on what you should be doing before & after. My surgeon was more someone I trusted to safely get me through this procedure.

the dr must complete the surgery correctly and give you the right information to have a good weight loss, but the person must folllow dr orders to be successfull.

Thanks all for your input. My line of thinking was a lot of the same. Before the operation did u vBulletin find ur selfves going back and forth about your choice to have the surgery? I know with myself its not so much do I need this but more of can I do this?

Thanks all for your input. My line of thinking was a lot of the same. Before the operation did u vBulletin find ur selfves going back and forth about your choice to have the surgery? I know with myself its not so much do I need this but more of can I do this?

I was a revision so I had a bit of a different mindset. I spent a long time debating both, whether I deserved another chance at WLS, and also if I could even be successful after failing once before. But I do think that going back and forth is fairly common. Even when we know we need to do something to save our lives, I would question the sanity of the person that didn't at least give a 2nd thought to removing 85% of a major organ! Now, I would never look back and couldn't be happier, but I certainly spent plenty of time questioning my decision too, just in different ways!

It is good to know someone else has gone thru these tough decisions and come out the better for it. its just crazy how much of this is head work so to speak...lol. I have a 16yr old who is struggling with her weight and it kills me. I know she has gotten her issues with food from me. I want to do this for me but also for her. If I can at fifty turn my life around with a little help (sleeve). Then maybe she can make some life long changes as well. Obesity affects those we love as well as ourselves.

It is good to know someone else has gone thru these tough decisions and come out the better for it. its just crazy how much of this is head work so to speak...lol. I have a 16yr old who is struggling with her weight and it kills me. I know she has gotten her issues with food from me. I want to do this for me but also for her. If I can at fifty turn my life around with a little help (sleeve). Then maybe she can make some life long changes as well. Obesity affects those we love as well as ourselves.

I agree 100%. Part of my motivation was not only to be around long term for my girls (toddlers now), but to be able to lead a healthy lifestyle as an example to them! I learned from my parents and my husband and I decided a while ago that when we had kids, we would be healthy by example and not just words.

Thank goodness u have done it when they are so small then. Its an awesome commitment to do for yourself and them. Inspiring most definitely!

I absolutely do think technique has a lot to do with how successful one can be. Not all sleeves are done the same, and research has shown that different techniques and bougie sizes bring about different long term weight loss success and failures. Do you as a patient have some control? Absolutely!!! Some just have to work a little harder or less hard depending on how their sleeve was done.