Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI exactly 40, will I be denied if i lose any weight?

At my consultation appt my BMI was 40.05. Now I have to do a 6 month diet to get approved. My question is will I get denied if my BMI drops below 40 prior to surgery?? My coordinator assures me that the starting weight is the only one that matters but I'm not sold. I don't have any comorbidities and my insurance is BCBS.

Hi, at my consultation mine was 41.4 and they told us that is the recorded weight for insurance nd not to worry if we lose weight b4 surgery:) so I have to trust that. Gl

The different insurances have different policies, and the only way to know for sure is to check with your insurance company, if you call there 800 number they should explain it to you.

My BMI is on the line and I was told not to lose any wgt in the 6 month diet.

I was also told not to lose any weight, my BMI was 41, I lost 4 pounds pounds one month and I was just barely over a 40 BMI and was told to maintain that weight until submission. I wouldn't take any chances with approval.

My BMI was borderline when I was given a referral from Kaiser and the surgeons office told me that I was under the BMI. They didn't check my comorbidity of diabetes because I wasn't taking any medication for my DB. Then my surgeon told me not to lose any more weight before the surgery. So I agree with calling your insurance company. They are all so different..... Best of luck and hope to see you on the BIG LOSER'S BENCH! :P

I have tufts insurance. When I was approved last week and the coach called me for my first conversation in my 6 month pre op program I asked about this. My bmi is 38 but I qualify for other medical conditions. She told me that no one has given then a definitive answer on this. It depends who she asks. So unless you get a 100% answer, you might wanna be careful not to lose too much pre op.

it's not a diet, it's a program that helps you set goals, prepare yourself for life after surgery. They just want to see that you are committed to being able to change your lifestyle and eating habits before you get final approval.

But if they force you to do a 6 month diet they know you will lose.

I was specifically told not to lose any wgt on the 6 month diet or I would not be approved.

Thanks for the input. My coordinator says doesn't matter if I lose cause insurance company knows I will just probably gain it right back.

All we are doing during each visit is making goals getting ready for surgery an starting new habits. Each visit we target a bad behavior and begin something new. On the 1st visit I was supposed to stop sodas before my next visit and start a Multivitamin. 2nd visit I was supposed to stop eating Pasta rice and bread and begin walking. 3rd visit Portion Control, trying to stop going back for seconds. And sticking to 3 meals with small healthy Snacks. 4th visit we will see......and so on until the last visit. But at each visit I have been told do not go below such and such....its all about getting ready for the surgery and showing you can create new healthy habits and stick to them through maintenance. Create a new lifestyle.

At my consultation appt my BMI was 40.05. Now I have to do a 6 month diet to get approved. My question is will I get denied if my BMI drops below 40 prior to surgery?? My coordinator assures me that the starting weight is the only one that matters but I'm not sold. I don't have any comorbidities and my insurance is BCBS.

We are in exactly the same situation- same bmi same insurance. Today I had my third app. Weighed in at 39.5 and was not happy. At all. Doc and every one else was reassuring but there was too much' I can't imagine it'll be an issue' and " I think it'll be fine " for my comfort. First time in my life I wanted to be fatter or have comorbidities. How crazy is that?

Call insurance. In theory that's a great idea. I cannot find one blasted person that can or will give me an answer. It's really frustrating. Hopefully you have better success than me. I'm trying very hard to keep an " if it's meant to be it will be " attitude but its a challenge. We'll just have to stay positive together :)

We are in exactly the same situation- same bmi same insurance. Today I had my third app. Weighed in at 39.5 and was not happy. At all. Doc and every one else was reassuring but there was too much' I can't imagine it'll be an issue' and " I think it'll be fine " for my comfort. First time in my life I wanted to be fatter or have comorbidities. How crazy is that?

Call insurance. In theory that's a great idea. I cannot find one blasted person that can or will give me an answer. It's really frustrating. Hopefully you have better success than me. I'm trying very hard to keep an " if it's meant to be it will be " attitude but its a challenge. We'll just have to stay positive together :)

I was just going to ask this exact question, BMI 40.6, no comorbidities. Getting psych done on Tuesday, then ready for final ins approval & set surgery. Realistically that is probably a good 6 to 8 weeks out. I'm ready to start working-out and eating healthier now. After reading some comments, I'll hold off until surgery is scheduled.

A few more weeks is now big deal considering I'll be changing the rest of my life.