Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cottage Cheese is King

I'm a little over 2 weeks post-op. and cottage cheese is saving my life. I have it alone, mix it with refried or black Beans, mix it with chili, etc.

it has almost no carbs and 13 grams of protien per 1/2 cup!

I got so sick of the sweet flavors or protien shakes (vanilla, choc., cookies&cream, etc) that savory foods have really made me happy.

And I feel more energy getting my protien from real food instead of liquid.< /p>

Ok, I need to know- what does cottage cheese taste like? I want to try it bc of the high Protein, but I'd feel bad to buy it, not like it, and trow it away. I do like yogurt, sour cream, Greek yogurt, things like that.. But I've never been brave enough to try cottage cheese.

It tastes cold and bland, for the most part. It has a bit of a sour tang (the way Greek yogurt does) and it mixes well with other things.

I wouldn't call it bland. It's creamy and tangy, a little like feta cheese. I tend to eat it with black pepper. I think it's absolutely delicious. And you're on the right track- it's a little like sour cream or yoghurt but a little more cheese-y.

I love cottage cheese and I have to have black pepper too. I also like a little shredded cheese mixed with it.

I haven't been able to talk myself into trying Greek yogurt yet.

I'm a little over 2 weeks post-op. and cottage cheese is saving my life. I have it alone, mix it with refried or black Beans, mix it with chili, etc.

it has almost no carbs and 13 grams of protien per 1/2 cup!

I got so sick of the sweet flavors or protien shakes (vanilla, choc., cookies&cream, etc) that savory foods have really made me happy.

And I feel more energy getting my protien from real food instead of liquid.

Cottage cheese was one and is still one of my go to foods. I buy 1%, Lucerne is my favorite brand!!! I eat it for Breakfast sometimes, with a little watermelon, peaches or cantaloupe!!! I also eat about an eighth of a cup EVERY night we are eating at home....with whatever we have for dinner. Packed with Protein and I've eaten all my life, so I've always liked it!!! I have NEVER done with it what you do, but I love refried and black beans! Thanks for the tip!!! Oh, someone at one of my support groups, eats CC with an avocado slice or two. I am going to try it one of these days!

Ok, I need to know- what does cottage cheese taste like? I want to try it bc of the high Protein, but I'd feel bad to buy it, not like it, and trow it away. I do like yogurt, sour cream, Greek yogurt, things like that.. But I've never been brave enough to try cottage cheese.< /p>

I love it, my mom bought it when I was a kid, so I grew up eating it at dinner time most nights! It is nothing like sour cream, to me. I put a little salt and pepper on it when it's a side dish at dinner, but when I eat it for Breakfast, I eat it with a fruit most of the time. My mom use to put it on a lettuce leaf and then she preferred a few peach slices with it. I like peaches, pears, melons.....all are good!!!

BTW - I do not like or eat Greek yogurt, at all. I will use it in place of sour cream when cooking, but that's it! I don't like the tangy taste, too much like sour cream without a baked potato!! LOL

I went out and bought some cottage cheese.. Had a little with lunch. It's delicious. Kinda reminds me of mozzarella. :)

I hate cottage cheese. Or rather, I used to. Now I de-engineer it. I put it in Protein Shakes, or blend it up with sugar free Jello to make yummy Protein pudding, whirl it up with chicken or eggs & a shot of mustard as a chicken or egg salad. I also blend 1 small avocado, cottage cheese and dijon mustard & put it on my Kims Magic Pop for a great snack. Nom nom nom.

I to like cottage cheese. Regular cottage cheese has too much sodium but the 1 percent only has about 400 mg per serving. I tried the non fat and it was horrible. It was from Wal Mart maybe that was part of the problem. I agree that it tastes great alone or with tomoatoes, fruit anything. You should really try it.

Cottage cheese mixed in a blender with some lemon juice is a great substitute for sour cream! I got this from my mom who did Weight Watchers in the 60's. I have used it numerous times as base for dips!

I to like cottage cheese. Regular cottage cheese has too much sodium but the 1 percent only has about 400 mg per serving. I tried the non fat and it was horrible. It was from Wal Mart maybe that was part of the problem. I agree that it tastes great alone or with tomoatoes, fruit anything. You should really try it.

I'll betcha the bland stuff I had was non-fat/low sodium. It didn't taste bad--just plain. The good thing about plain foods is how adaptable they are to adding other flavors in. Before surgery I used to love the Breakstones snack packs with cottage cheese and fruit preserves (strawberry, blueberry, pineapple).

I'll definitely be going back to cottage cheese when I graduate to the soft foods stage.

The salt free is BAD!!!! I can see where you could use it for a base with other things.

My grandmother taught me to eat cottage cheese with SUGAR on it! Any wonder I had a weight problem. My grandmother on the other hand was bird-like.

Since my surgery I LOVE just plain large curd cottage cheese. Thought the fat-free was nasty, so I am taking the extra 20-calorie hit and eating the 4% milk fat type. I like Dean's.