Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Haters

It is confusing to try to eat high Protein, low fat, and low carb. What you basically need to do is eat very lean meats, like chicken, fish, and very lean beef occasionally, but not often. Beef is higher in fat than other meats. Shrimp is very high in Protein, but lots of cholesterol if you have a problem with that. The shrimp need to be boiled, grilled, etc. If you sautee them in butter, that will make them high fat to. You also can eat salmon, but in moderation due to it having a higher fat level as well. meat and lentils are very high in protein. That's how you do the high protein low fat part. I agree that the low carb is the hardest to follow, so you have to really learn to read labels. For example, Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk dressing has fewer carbs in it than any other brand of salad dressing. Trust me, I've checked them all that are available in my area. Most canned and raw vegetables are very low carb, but you have to cut out ALL white flour products, potatoes, corn, carrots, and beets. Sweet potatoes are also full of carbs. Most fruits are good, but there are a few that spike your sugar levels. These are pineapple, bananas, and watermelon, which are my favorite fruits. But, I have to avoid them all together because I'm now diabetic. Things like low fat sour cream and yogurt are very high in carbs, so if you are going to have them, you are better off with regular sour cream, but there are a few brands of yogurt that are low carb. Again, you have to read the labels on everything. A typical meal for me would consist of a chicken breast, either baked or grilled, yellow and zucchini squash with onions sauteed with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil, and salad with the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. Other veggies and meats were used as well, that's just a good example of a meal that fits all of the catagories. My cardiologist told me not to eat things like bacon, sausage, or lots of cheese high in fat. String cheese is very low fat, for example. He said to drink whey Protein shakes made with fruit or fruit juice, ice, Water, and splenda mixed in the blender. They are yummy if you make them right. However, I have to add that this diet was not with a band, so the Breakfast would have to changed, but I think most of the other foods would be allowed in small quantities. It would depend on the person and what foods they can tolerate with the band. I also ate no bread, Pasta, rice, or anything like that. Cool Whip free is also a great alternative to the whipped cream.

I've also read several posts that talk about the South Beach diet. Has anyone ever read the Suzanne Somers diet books? Her philosophy is the combinations of foods eaten together. I've done it before with success, but as usual, I gained it all back when I started adding the carbs in.

I hope this explanation helps you with your food purchases. Again, read read read the labels and you will discover which foods are low carb and the ones that aren't. The carbs in most veggies are minimal and you can have them. Sorry this is so lengthy, but I tend to rattle. LOL

I've noticed that a lot of posts from bandsters mention a high protein, low fat, low carb diet. I have been confused by this because many foods that are lower in fat have added sugars to make up for flavour, hence they are usually higher in carb. My experience has been that it is very difficult to low fat and low carb diet at the same time.

Can anyone clear this up or provide more clarification for me? I was hoping to continue LCing after being banded but I currently eat butter, full fat dressings, full fat sour cream, whipping cream ( you get the picture - full fat varieties not low fat).

:help:

Janice

Maries makes a lovely Caesar dressing with 1 gram of carbs per serving. I like it on most everything - fish, salads, as a dip for veggies... it's a good thing.

I have had some success at low-carbing before - but I honestly didn't worry at all about the fat content. meat & eggs were cooked in butter, and sauces were all full fat - but very low carb.

***For those of you that note BLURRED VISION when you eat carbs - please go to your Primary Care Physician and have your blood sugar levels tested. Blurry vision is a side effect of diabetes. If you also find that you are constantly thirsty and you have to pee all the time - PLEASE get checked. Low carb might not be optional for you...

Diabetes is completely controllable and not so hard to live with - but if you don't keep your sugar levels under control, you can cause irreparable nerve damage in your eyes and extremities.

Get checked. It's one of those things you shouldn't try to pretend about.

Hugs!

Wootsie73, thanks for the info, great to have another person's perspective on different alternative low carb choices and ideas. I do have one question though you said " post-band - so the Breakfast would have to change". Can you elaborate on this, I'm not sure what you meant. Are you eating a different breakfast now, if so, what were you eating then versus post-band for breakfast.

I eat eggs (and very occasionally bacon or sausage) almost every morning since I started LCing and love them!

Thanks,

Janice

:biggrin1:

eggs are a bit hard for some bandsters. I have found that egg beaters works better for me... don't know exactly why.

Has anyone noticed their sleep patterns change? When I go low carb, I don't sleep as much.

Wootsie73, thanks for the info, great to have another person's perspective on different alternative low carb choices and ideas. I do have one question though you said " post-band - so the breakfast would have to change". Can you elaborate on this, I'm not sure what you meant. Are you eating a different breakfast now, if so, what were you eating then versus post-band for breakfast.

I eat eggs (and very occasionally bacon or sausage) almost every morning since I started LCing and love them!

Thanks,

Janice

:biggrin1:

Janice,

I will be happy to elaborate for you. I'm not yet banded, but have seen my surgeon and am currently waiting for a surgery date. The reason I said the Protein shakes may have to be changed is because most surgeons want you to eat solid food as soon after banding as they allow. The Protein shake will run right through the band, so eating solid food would be much better. You can buy turkey bacon and sausage that is much lower in fat than the regular kind. I have to add that it was my cardiologist who told me to absolutely cut the fat as well as the carbs. It clogs your arteries even if it has no carbs in it.

I agree that with the blurred vision, you need to be tested for diabetes. I was glucose intolerant for a long time, but my last lab work said I'm definitely diabetic now. Keeping your blood glucose level under control is vital to your survival if you are diabetic. Not only does it affect you eyes and extremities, it also attacks every vital organ in your body, especially your kidneys. This damage can be minimized by taking care of yourself and keeping your sugar levels down.

I found something that works for me, thought I would share. Kroger had the South Beach dinners on sale, and I had coupons, so I thought I would try them. The dinners are quite good, and for me, band friendly.

The pork and green Beans works well, the pizza worked (at night), but the breakfast burritos did not.

I was so excited to eat the pork dinner for lunch with no issues... at work!!! Think I may get some more of those...

Carb Haters forever!!!!

I'm in I dont tolerate carbs at all and I dont lose weight if I eat them. I am trying to get rid of refined carbs at least and try that for a while.

ahhhhh.......*drool* turkey bacon.....ranch dressing..... I can't wait to get back to the states so I can have some of those things again.

Hello all

I have recently decided ti follow low carb/high pr diet, but the problem is that I get a little irritated where my band is, it is not exactly heart burn but something similar until the Protein passes through completely, and I feel it competently! I don't have this feeling with carbs or vegs! I think it might be due to high acid accumulation there.

has anyone ever had this problem, any suggestion?

Alright people.....how many of us just can't eat carbs??? The only time I lost any real meaningful weight in my life was when I went on Atkins. While there has been lots of talk about how harmful that diet is to your body, the fact remains that I think my body just refuses to lose any weight until I stop eating carbs.

I'm not advocating eliminating fruits or veggies or all carbs in favor of bacon and real butter, but I think that as long as I eat white rice or Pasta, eat breads or any other type of refined carb, my body is gonna hang on to every pound I've got.

So my new years resolution is to eliminate as much refined carbs from my diet that I can, which is hard here in Portugal because almost every dish is served with rice or Pasta and every meal comes with bread.< /p>

Any one else out there like me??

Yes, I love carbs but they don't love me. I got a little complacent lately and have been eating them like they're going out of style. Well, the scale is showing it. So I'm back to the drawing board of trying to eliminate carbs out of my diet again or at least have them very early in the day so I can burn them off.

Banded since July 26, 2014 I have lost 104 pounds and continue by doing a simple program. Morning-Atkins Milk chocolate shake, Lunch-Beef or chicken with a veggie, Dinner-Beef or Chicken and a salad with Olive garden dressing. The more we complicate our journey the more frustrated and doubtful we will become snd then we want to give up! Keep it simple bandsters..we all can do it. I am 4'11 I was weighing 348 pounds...trust me this band works just keep it simple!! :) I wish every faith and hope...God Bless everyone of you!!!

Alright people.....how many of us just can't eat carbs??? The only time I lost any real meaningful weight in my life was when I went on Atkins. While there has been lots of talk about how harmful that diet is to your body, the fact remains that I think my body just refuses to lose any weight until I stop eating carbs.

I'm not advocating eliminating fruits or veggies or all carbs in favor of bacon and real butter, but I think that as long as I eat white rice or Pasta, eat breads or any other type of refined carb, my body is gonna hang on to every pound I've got.

So my new years resolution is to eliminate as much refined carbs from my diet that I can, which is hard here in Portugal because almost every dish is served with rice or Pasta and every meal comes with bread.< /strong>

Any one else out there like me??

I'm in the same boat. It's almost next to impossible to loose weight while eating carbs. After 2 or 3 weeks of not eating carbs, I willl loose weight but I will go back to carbs because I think my body will handle it. It's a tough diet for sure!