Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS Veterans---Should I Worry, or am I Just Neurotic?

I was sleeved on Monday (July 1st), and when I was finally allowed Water and Clear liquids, you'd think I was being offered prime seating at a royal banquet. I've since progressed to full liquids. The trouble is, when I swallow anything (except Jell-O, which seems to go down more easily), I can *feel* the sip traveling down my esophagus and landing in my sleeve. Like clockwork, every time, my sleeve goes into yoga/acrobatics. It seems to twist, bubble, gurgle LOUDLY, and it hurts!

I've tried warm liquids, cold liquids, sipping teeny tiny amounts of liquid--it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Help me out, surgery veterans--should I be worried? Will this feeling of twisty gurgling subside, or is this my "new normal"? I discussed it with my surgeon, and he just wanted me to keep doin' what I'm doin'...but he didn't offer any guidance or advice beyond that. :huh:

Normal stuff. Your new pouch is adjusting & healing. That's the reason for the different post op diet stages to give it time. It will subside as it heals.

Hi Vixynne

As you know I was sleeved the same day as you and I feel exactly the same thing. My doctor has told me that within a week I shouldn't have any problems with Fluid going down. Right now it goes in, hits a spot does a u-turn, I bring up gas and then it painfully travels down into my stomach. I'm sure it will get easier. :)

No Need to worry!! and you are not at all crazy! Unfortunately, the only good remedy is time. It will get better everyday I promise... do your best to get liquids in now and soon you'll be moving on to real food.... it does get better!

I really hope so! Meanwhile my overactive imagination wants me to go full panic mode: "OMG it's a STRICTURE!!!"

Deep breaths. Whew.

Does anyone besides me have a low-grade fever to? 100.3 ever since I got home. :unsure:

am I Neurotic?

yes you are :D :D

shame on me for teasing a newbie ;)

WLS two days ago

sorry you are hurting a bit :(

gotta give tummy time to calm down

try not to panic (easier said than done :( )

as mentioned from OP your situation/problem with swallowing Water can be common :mellow:

keep taking slow sips of water

as days pass, you will/should feel better :)

100.3 low grade fever since you've been home............

i never experienced that, but maybe others have

keep an eye on your temp - maybe call the doc

speedy recovery :)

good luck

kathy

The sensation of liquids moving down your esophagus is due to edema buildup from surgery. Did they give you an incentive spirometer to take home after surgery? If you have one you should practice with it a couple times a day. Deep breathing and time help to clear that up.

As for the fever, it's not that high so don't be concerned yet. If it continues for another day or two I would call the doctor's office and let them know. They may want to run blood work.

My doc said a low grade temp and flushed skin was normal- something about your metabolism changing... I was a little sedated at the time- sorry. Lol. But I'd def let your doc know if it gets above 101. :)

Neurotic is good!!! Obsessive/compulsive....it's all good. This IS your new life, it's still all about food, but YOU have control. All the stuff you mentioned, all normal. Your tummy is talking to you, I named mine Sylvia the sleeve. She still talks to me, pretty sassy some times, but she isn't doing gymnastics any longer!! You're fine, I'm sure of it!!! Hang on, it's a wild, but fun ride!!! Welcome to the loser's side!

Thx for posting woman, as you know I am facing this as well. I think just taking some time will help us all, a LOT!

I know what will help me, not having my vital signs done every four hours! Can't wait to bust outta this joint

I was sleeved on Monday (July 1st)' date=' and when I was finally allowed Water and Clear liquids, you'd think I was being offered prime seating at a royal banquet. I've since progressed to full liquids. The trouble is, when I swallow anything (except Jell-O, which seems to go down more easily), I can *feel* the sip traveling down my esophagus and landing in my sleeve. Like clockwork, every time, my sleeve goes into yoga/acrobatics. It seems to twist, bubble, gurgle LOUDLY, and it hurts!

I've tried warm liquids, cold liquids, sipping teeny tiny amounts of liquid--it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Help me out, surgery veterans--should I be worried? Will this feeling of twisty gurgling subside, or is this my "new normal"? I discussed it with my surgeon, and he just wanted me to keep doin' what I'm doin'...but he didn't offer any guidance or advice beyond that. :huh:[/quote']

I am having the exact same symptoms....was also sleeved on July 1st! thanks to those who have responded...makes me feel better. i am really struggling though to force the liquids down.

I also have had that. If your doctor gave you a script for Nexium, take that. If not, get extra-strength Pepcid, crush if you are not allowed pills yet. The Nexium was extremely helpful to me.

Thank you for responding, ladies--I appreciate it more than you know!

My incentive spirometer got left behind in my eagerness to leave the hospital--maybe I can send someone out to get it for me. Before bed time last night (I guess I should call it "sofa time" since I can't lay flat in my bed yet), I took a dose of liquid Vicodin and that seemed to knock out the fever. This morning, my temp is at 98.5; hopefully it'll stay there.

I'm going to see if I can get through the day today without Vicodin, since I don't want to encourage Constipation or dependence on the narcotic. I feel like I'm constantly sipping on Water, Crystal Light, Vitamin water, broth and Jell-O--I have yet to finish a full serving of any of them, but I'll keep trying--definitely don't want to become dehydrated!

I just know I bought some extra-strength Pepcid before surgery...I'll track it down today and start crushing it.

Vix- so glad your temp came down but also keep any eye on your heart rate. Take your pulse when you are resting comfortably for a few minutes. It should be under 100. Temp and high heart rates should be an alert to call your doc. I also had that gurgling in my tummy but after a week it slowly slowed down. Once in a blue moon I feel it slightly and I'm 3 months post op now.

Vix- so glad your temp came down but also keep any eye on your heart rate. Take your pulse when you are resting comfortably for a few minutes. It should be under 100. Temp and high heart rates should be an alert to call your doc. I also had that gurgling in my tummy but after a week it slowly slowed down. Once in a blue moon I feel it slightly and I'm 3 months post op now.

Just checked my pulse while resting--60 bpm. That's fairly normal, right? My fever seems to have broken as well.

I really REALLY hope the gurgle-twisting lets up soon. It's making it hard for me to get my fluids in. :unsure: