Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits January Challenge

I am only running as my knees will still allow it and I did it before.................if my body starts hurting I will go back to power-walking, I just up the incline and get that heart-rate up, I am only running for the challenge to see whether I can do it again! And I don't run that long, I usually walk when I get puffed, but I am getting better, I prefer going to gym also sometimes as I can use the bike and cross-trainer which are low impact, I think that is a higher priority now!

Good to see you in here at this time!

AmouretteXX

Had a rough day slinging Mah Jongg Tiles! Kat, this is a different game from the computer Mah Jongg.............sort of like rummy with tiles......hard to explain in 10 words or less, but fun...........I've been playing since the 60's (1960's that is!).

Julie, too tired to attempt to answer your questions about what it feels like to be 20/30 lbs away from goal tonight...........will try tomorrow! You made me think! Have to collect my thoughts for you - as well as for me.

I hopped on the elliptical machine at the gym and got my 40 minutes completed 15 seconds before 10:00!! I just did not feel like going out in the cold tonight. (yeah, I know...I'm a wimp!)

Kat, you don't need to run. As long as your activity will elevate your heart rate/make you breathe heavier, you are fine. Adding an incline works, a faster pace works, hand-held weights work, if your knees can handle it. I think your wood-chopping would definitely raise your heartbeat and make you sweat.

Welcome back, Amourette! Wow! Reaching goal before April is super!

Roberta, I'm sorry about your asthma!

hehehe that is NEXT April not this............I am making a conscious effort not to get on scale, I never did before so not too much of a problem.........that is why I don't join the April Bandits Weight Loss , it has to be in my own time and that is healthier for me............

How are you anyway, did you have a nice Xmas, I am trying to upload photos but they seem to be all too large to do so........am working on it, i wrote to Eva and Alison , so hopefully they will reply back!

XX Amourette:D

Hi guys,

As far as running goes, I am enjoying it, but I also know that I need to take it a little easy and not rack my body. So, I am alternating stepping with running- every other day- and so far so good. My heart rate is just as high with the stepping and I can do it on cold and windy days (which of course happens here).

Julie- congrats on being such a good poker player, and still going to the gym!! I know what you mean about a little more attention- someone tried to pick me up at a meeting the other day. I was so surprised I call my husband!!!!

You guys are all so great and on the ball and encouraging!!!

Exercise this month... 7 times to date

Dawn

Banded April 4, 2006

Montreal

358/211/179

Kat, I'm with Boo. You don't need to run -- you just need to make sure a good portion of your exercise time is within your "target heart rate" zone. I wear a heart rate monitor to make sure I don't go over the zone (where you can get hurt), though many people in better shape (or doing less strenuous activity) wear it to make sure they get their heart rate high enough. I find the heart rate monitors to be more reliable than the hand held thing on gym equipment, but then again, it's just another gadget and getting out and moving, with or without it, is the most important thing.

I'm totally with you in that I have no desire to exercise more and more for the rest of my life. I'm planning on 45 minutes, most days (say, 5 a week) and making those 45 minutes as efficient as possible in terms of calorie burning and strength training (i.e., for me, running many of them).

Walking on an incline and chopping wood sound perfect.

Amourette, welcome home and have a great week off before you start flying again.

You guys need to all chorus together with a great big "DUH"!!! Why in my mind I had not really thought of simply changing the workout as opposed to increasing it----who knows!!! I am still doing ok, with what I am doing, but will likely do as all of you have pointed out, and end up changing to a more all around gym eventually. There is just not one in my little town....so will wait until I feel the need!

My knees are not my problem---I have a developing tumor in my fibula--the smaller of the bones in your lower leg. I have 2, they have been there for over 5 years. The one in my leg is the one I have to be most careful of, as it is beginning to encompass most of the bone, it has eliminated the marrow flow---so weakened the bone considerably, it will likely break at some point, and have to be removed---the bone, not just the tumor. I can maintain mobility without the bone, or it can be replaced with a rod. They will decide more at the time. It was originally thought to be a secondary cancer--but at the time of the last biopsy it is not showing active cancer cells, however it is something that can change. The 2nd tumor is in my mastoid---unaffected by most things. I have bone scans every 6 months, and have a biopsy yearly. They seem to have been affected by the form of infusion therapy chemo I took, the growth slowed considerably! Which was a really great benefit! They originally gave me 6 months before the mastoid tumor would have to be removed, and it has grown slowest of the 2! Having these definitely spurred me to get rid of this weight, I know if I lose the bone, it will be a much easier recovery being lighter weight! So that began the string of diets, which in the end only resulted in an extra 50 pounds or so to lose!!! Thank heavens for my band!!!

Anyway----long story later---I do have limitations of stress I can put on the leg.

I agree that the 45 minutes a day, or something in the neighborhood, is a good amount of time. I find it gives me time to be inside my head---if you know what I mean. I used to get that by riding---but I quit when I felt like my size was resulting in cruelty to animals---and now I am riding again, but have company usually! And kids around animals that size take constant attention, not much time for personal reflection anymore!

Wood chopping is work, that is a fact, but I take too many breaks, to keep the rate up steady. I mean, you have to haul logs in and then move the chopped pieces out of the work area, so your heart slows back down...it is not a steady thing. Not to mention the amount of time we spend laughing at my fine form!!! And the number of times I slam the ax into the ground and miss the stupid log altogether!!! I know there was a reason we bought the log splitter!!! Same with riding, getting ready is a workout, saddling up, etc., but once you mount up, it really isn't much of a workout, if you are just walking! Altogether tho, I guess it is still working!

Amourette---I had a wonderful Christmas, thanks for asking---glad to hear you had a good time as well. Any big plans for this week off, before getting back to work? You and Julie are going to have to keep us posted of all your dating fun!!! Not Dawn tho---her DH may really get jealous then!!! Men already hitting on her---then hearing your stories may just spur her on!!! j/k

Roberta--hope your asthma is better---that is no fun whatsoever! What type of inhaler, or meds do they have you using?

Boo-- I so know what you mean about the cold, we have another snow storm supposed to hit tonight. And I am due to take my Dad to Albuquerque tomorrow to see his cardiologist. And to get there, I have to go through some of the worst weather area in the state. Will be driving the 4 WD without a doubt. Actually if it gets really bad, we will cancel, and reschedule. His carotid arteries are occluded, but not to a point they are ready to operate...and they do a dopler on them every few months, and that is what this is for.

Ok, well I better get something else done while little one is asleep! Oh yeah-- She finally made the charts!! She was a preemie, (4 pounds) and has always been underweight, and shorter than the charts show. She is now in the 3rd percentile--she is 20 1/2 pounds now, and 30 1/2" tall! And her pediatrician was thrilled with her motor skills, and shocked by her verbal skills (she never shuts up!!!--a true chatterbox), and the fact that she is potty trained. On the other hand my grandson who was just over 5 pounds at birth, is 10 months old now, and weighs the same (exactly!) as the 2 yr old, and is 26 1/2 inches tall, and took his first steps day before yesterday---life will never be the same for my son and his wife!! That boy is into everything---twice! I am so glad to have them---and to send them home!!!

Kat

Wow, Kat, you are a dear person. There is so much need all around you and you keep giving and loving. When and how do you care for your own pain? You must have angels near you!

I wish you could move to California where everyone has a SWIMMING POOL! There's no impact swimming, and the resistence tones the entire body. I can see why you should never run!

Hugs and prayers!

Kat, you are an old fashioned wonderful daughter/mother/grandmother! Your family is so lucky to have you! I love doing all the caregiving things with kids, grandkids, but lately have been feeling the years a bit.......If I do my exercise and do the things around the house I poop out.........been feeling a little guilty lately about my degree of involvement in the kids lives since I've had my band and have been so involved with myself.

Went thru some old boxes with pictures that I've been talking about putting into albums...............found some before pictures that really made me stop and realize how much 55 lbs less means on this body! One of my Mah Jongg pals yesterday asked me if I realize how great I look...........I really don't realize the difference until I get reminded by a picture or see myself sometimes in a mirror.........I still feel fat most of the time.........don't know if that will ever change.........do you think? I think this also goes back to the question Julie asked a few days ago about feelings as you get near to goal. My original goal was to lose 100 lbs and be 134 lbs..........don't think I can achieve that nor do I think I want to at this point.............lots of flabby stuff hanging around now and I will not have PS at my age and so I think I'll actually look and feel better at a higher weight. New final goal is around 150 lbs. Since, I am and have been maintaining for a couple of months that also may change. It actually feels good to be where I'm at, however, I'm feeling pressure (from the head) that I "should" lose more.......because I still weigh 180 and am 5'3" and that still makes me a chub on all the charts. How do we change our mindset?

Still thinking about going in for a fill (why am I afraid?)............I think I've been able to enjoy food a bit again without having many problems and still maintain...........and I like it! In order for me to lose, I have to be so restrictive with my intake and I guess I'm just tired of it.

Sorry for the downer post..................I've just gone back onto my Prozac the beginning of this week...........quit for a few months when I stopped all my other meds and maybe that was a mistake...................had a little disagreement with one of my friends yesterday and I completely blew it out of proportion and have not been sleeping well and so, and so and so...............hope the pills kick in soon.............I was a jerk to stop. I don't take them for depression, just sort of anxiety.................dopey because right now my life is the best it's been in years..............Alan and I are so healthy.............................think it's just an accumulation of stuff the past few months, stress from this banding, stress with my son's surgery, getting to be an old poop, etc!

I know what it is.................I have not exercised in 2 days...........getting back to the gym tomorrow and plan on a NIA class on Friday, Sat, Sun and Monday....................that should help!

aww thanks Boo, I really don't have a lot of pain, it is intermittent, and so far something that Tylenol eases to where it is something that I can handle. I too wish we lived where a pool was possible. This year I will be doing quite a bit of swimming---I won't feel like the beached whale!!! Plan on that being a regular outing with the grandbabies. In fact the other day when discussing the upcoming birthday, my youngest DD said she never knew what to get for anyone. I told her, "well let me tell you Honey, for Mother's Day--you kids can get me a swim pass this year!!!" She tells me "but we always buy flowers and plant your flower beds". I told her that was ok, I'd buy the flowers and just guilt them into helping me plant them!!!! Only part of me was teasing with her---I fully intend on getting a season pass, and going as often as possible. On the positive side, I used to have problems being so blonde my hair would take on a greenish tint---well now my hair is darker---and there is a lot less of it to turn colors!

Looks like the weather is going to hold long enough for me to get my Dad to the Dr. Now just hope it holds to get us home!!! I am not afraid to drive in it, as much as I am afraid of others driving in it!!! And there is not any road maintenance through the reservation, so if it gets slick, it stays that way! Could be an interesting day!!!

I AM anxious to see my Dads cardiologist, he has always been just as nice as nice could be, he never said a word to me about my weight, but he always comments on what an excellent patient my Dad is, if he tells him to walk 4 miles a day, he walks 4 miles a day, if he tells him to lose 20 pounds he loses 20 pouns. He will be shocked at my lost weight---and pleased, he is a nice guy....cute too....for a boy!!! So young!!!

Will be in touch when I get back home---have a good one y'all!

Kat

Betty, don't worry about a "downer post." We ALL have down days! This is a support group and we are all here to support you, just as you have done with us. You are right about the lack of exercise bringing us down. When I can't, I really miss the high! But also, you probably do need your Prozac. Don you feel better (more normal) when you are on it regularly? I'm sure it is not like you to blow up to a friend. Hey, it is NOT cool that we have to deal with changes in our bodies and hormones and fears and stresses, but there are so many glorious moments in each day. If you aren't feeling well it is easy to miss them! And you are NOT getting older. At this point, you are getting better!

You have a rich life with great friends. We have all read your posts and enjoy reading about your social outings. Even Bluehill is impressed! Maybe you are feeling really guilty about the fight with your friend. If so, a phone call and apology should relieve that, if she truly is your friend.

We ALL care!

And KAT, drive safely and keep an eye out for all those inexperienced winter drivers (like me) out there!!

Made up with my friend...............agreed we were both jerks....hugged and kissed and put it behind us!

Weigh-in Friday - still maintaining my 181 lbs!??? Eating too much, my exercise is good tho! I have decided to go for a fill within the next couple of weeks...........have to travel 2 hours.

Did my usual NIA class today after a 2 day no exercise span...........enjoyed it so much.

Kat, they changed all my meds. after banding. I now take the inhalers, Flovent, and Spiriva, I also take Singulair, and at times Allegra. For my rescue inhaler, I use Albuterol. My Pulmonary doctor hopes that my weight loss will improve my asthma. I am sorry to hear about your tumors, and am amazed at how much you are able to do. Interestingly Kat, when I was working I used to be a Registered Vascular Technologist. I did all the Doppler exams for my hospital, and for all the HIP groups (an HMO) located in the Queens, N.Y. area. I hope all goes well with your dad's doctor visit and with travel.

Betty, we are here to support one another, so don't feel badly about venting. I'm glad you and your dear friend cleared the air. It happens even among the best of friends.

As for you, Miss Julie, you are hot stuff!! Work it girl !!!

Welcome back Amourette, glad you had a nice time.

Thanks for checking on me Boo, I'm trying to be very careful so that I don't get any worse. So far, so good. This fickle weather is just not good for a lot of people! Have a great weekend everyone!

40 mis. workout.

Roberta

Betty, I'm glad you made up with your friend. I know how bad it feels when things are up in the air like that. Glad you got your NIA in too.

Roberta, I hate that you have to struggle to breathe. I have fairly common anexiety attacks where I can't catch my breath and I hate that feeling. I have meds that I take when in the middle of an attack, but they take about 20 minutes to start working and it's no fun. I would imagine (rightly or wrongly) that the feeling can be akin to asthma. Of course, when I'm not in the middle of an attack, I feel totally fine, where I would think yours is more of a continuum. Anyway, I'm glad you manage it and I'm hoping the weather gets more consistent for you.

I didn't feel like a run tonight, so I just walked at a leisurely pace for just over an hour. I was feeling a little burned out, so I wanted something easier but still logging some time. Today was a hard day. I wanted to eat the furniture. Probably because I had a handul of M&Ms at about 10 a.m. Somehow if I have something unplanned like that at 4, it's no problem, but if it's early, food haunts me all day. I overshot my calories for the day, but not by too much. I'm pretty happy with the day, given how hard it was.

Julie, the lbs are just falling off of you! Wow, you continue to be so impressive. I know you are not perfect, but you obviously stop at a handful of M&M's and don't do it very often. I think our occasionaly "slips" make for a more normal event (this weight loss journey)...........before, it was all or nothing for me............as soon as I slipped with some forbidden fruit it was all over. That has changed this time around for me and I would guess for the rest of you all.

Roberta, hope you are feeling better........good health is really all that matters.

They've added a new NIA class on Sunday, so, I'll be at the gym first thing on Sat and Sunday this week. You'd think I'd be tired of the the NIA classes after all this time, but the instructors are so great and they always change the workouts..........so each day is a new experience.