Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other July 1st sleevers home?

I am still having pain when I drink. Though warm fluids seem to be better than cool/cold. I am not drinking near as much as the surgeon had suggested its just too painful. I will agree with you that I was not really prepared for all of this post op pain.

I was sleeved July 1st too. Discharged yesterday. Wondering what in the heck I have gotten myself into! WOW! Never thought I was a wuss, but seriously thinking I might be. I've already had issues with dehydration, nausea, back pain, and it feels like someone is squeezing my stomach every time I take a sip of Water. I cannot tolerate anything but warm broth, Water, and occasionally tea. Only pain med I can tolerate is Tylenol and it doesn't help much. I have gained 20 pounds and look like the Michellin man! So swollen! I'm scheduled to have additional IVF's tomorrow because I'm not getting in enough fluids. Headache, trapped air bubbles in chest, back pain & nausea is the worst. Anyone else having any of these issues?

I had nausea when I first tried to stand up from my hospital bed. Luckily, it didn't progress to vomiting, and I was given both Zofran in my IV and an anti-nausea patch to wear behind my ear. That took care of it for me.

I TOTALLY understand the squeezing pain every time you swallow. That's been the biggest obstacle for me so far. Well, that and the constant bathroom trips. I would love to be able to take a baby size sip of ANYTHING and have it just slide down without pain. It's slowly getting better, though. Plain water is the hardest to get down, including ice. broth and warm Soups seem to work slightly better.

I've been running a low-grade fever since coming home, and the only thing that kills it is liquid Lortab, but I'm trying to avoid using it too often. liquid Tylenol doesn't cut it for me, either.

*Hugs* to you---you're not alone! It's going to get better.

I was sleeved July 1st too. Discharged yesterday. Wondering what in the heck I have gotten myself into! WOW! Never thought I was a wuss' date=' but seriously thinking I might be. I've already had issues with dehydration, nausea, back pain, and it feels like someone is squeezing my stomach every time I take a sip of Water. I cannot tolerate anything but warm broth, Water, and occasionally tea. Only pain med I can tolerate is Tylenol and it doesn't help much. I have gained 20 pounds and look like the Michellin man! So swollen! I'm scheduled to have additional IVF's tomorrow because I'm not getting in enough fluids. Headache, trapped air bubbles in chest, back pain & nausea is the worst. Anyone else having any of these issues?[/quote']

You were blessed to be able to stay that many days in the hospital! I DID NOT feel ready to come home. It has not been a good experience for me, but I'm still 100% committed to this and I know it will be worth it! I'm religiously taking my tramadol every 4-6 hours... I cry without it!! Kudos to those who can function without it. Don't worry, you are not alone in any of that!!

I'm kinda frustrated because I was NOT prepared for this side of it. I researched on VST for several weeks prior to my surgery, it seems like everyone painted this pretty little picture about the surgery and that is was "no big deal." Someone even said it was comparable to "soreness after a hard ab workout!" Yeah right! I know surgery treats everyone differently, but I wish that I had read more stories similar to my future reality! Hang in there, girlie! Every day gets better!!!

My surgery was July 2nd at 10:30am and left the hospital at 3:30 July 3rd. Gas gas gas ... Terrible gas pains. Yes it is gas because it eventually comes out lolol but builds back up quickly. Have tried liquid gas X and liquid equate. chicken broth is the only thing that seems to go down easily. Anyone have similar experience with gas and if so how do you alleviate it... Besides the obvious...

I was sleeved July 1st too. Discharged yesterday. Wondering what in the heck I have gotten myself into! WOW! Never thought I was a wuss, but seriously thinking I might be. I've already had issues with dehydration, nausea, back pain, and it feels like someone is squeezing my stomach every time I take a sip of Water. I cannot tolerate anything but warm broth, Water, and occasionally tea. Only pain med I can tolerate is Tylenol and it doesn't help much. I have gained 20 pounds and look like the Michellin man! So swollen! I'm scheduled to have additional IVF's tomorrow because I'm not getting in enough fluids. Headache, trapped air bubbles in chest, back pain & nausea is the worst. Anyone else having any of these issues?

Sorry you are having such a hard time. This really is tough and I don't think this "part" of the process was discussed much pre op. I had been preparing for surgery for 10 months and never heard how hard it would be. I am off the Lortab because it made me sick. I take junior dissolve tylenol every 4-5 hrs and that takes the edge off. The thing I find most helpful is walking. It makes me feel normal and helps get rid of the extra gas. I wish you the best and hope you start feeling better soon.

My surgery was July 2nd at 10:30am and left the hospital at 3:30 July 3rd. Gas gas gas ... Terrible gas pains. Yes it is gas because it eventually comes out lolol but builds back up quickly. Have tried liquid gas X and liquid equate. chicken broth is the only thing that seems to go down easily. Anyone have similar experience with gas and if so how do you alleviate it... Besides the obvious...

Walking helps a ton. I go for 30 min each day since I have been home. My Dr gave me a RX for a pill that desolves under my tongue. That really helps me with the pressure. Feel better soon!

This is helping me so much.. Just being able to read others experiences and know I don't need to be freaking out about the gas. I was not given a prescription for antibiotics and thought that bacteria was giving off the CO2 that causes the gas. ... So why not antibiotics? Also how long before it goes away? I'm 4 days out. I'm walking every 3 hours to help keep it under control.

Is anyone else dreaming about food? It's so strange' date=' every time I go to sleep I dream about eating.[/quote']

Me too! Strange foods like things I liked as a kid. Thought if I was going to dream it would be about other things like crab legs... Hehehe

I had nausea when I first tried to stand up from my hospital bed. Luckily' date=' it didn't progress to vomiting, and I was given both Zofran in my IV and an anti-nausea patch to wear behind my ear. That took care of it for me.

I TOTALLY understand the squeezing pain every time you swallow. That's been the biggest obstacle for me so far. Well, that and the constant bathroom trips. I would love to be able to take a baby size sip of ANYTHING and have it just slide down without pain. It's slowly getting better, though. Plain Water is the hardest to get down, including ice. broth and warm Soups seem to work slightly better.

I've been running a low-grade fever since coming home, and the only thing that kills it is liquid Lortab, but I'm trying to avoid using it too often. Liquid Tylenol doesn't cut it for me, either.

*Hugs* to you---you're not alone! It's going to get better.[/quote']

I also had a fever after surgery and it was because of my lungs having a little Fluid left in them. have you been using the breathing thing since being home from the hospital? Also coughing helped.

I was sleeved July 1st too. Discharged yesterday. Wondering what in the heck I have gotten myself into! WOW! Never thought I was a wuss' date=' but seriously thinking I might be. I've already had issues with dehydration, nausea, back pain, and it feels like someone is squeezing my stomach every time I take a sip of Water. I cannot tolerate anything but warm broth, Water, and occasionally tea. Only pain med I can tolerate is Tylenol and it doesn't help much. I have gained 20 pounds and look like the Michellin man! So swollen! I'm scheduled to have additional IVF's tomorrow because I'm not getting in enough fluids. Headache, trapped air bubbles in chest, back pain & nausea is the worst. Anyone else having any of these issues?[/quote']

Yes! My surgery was July 1st and I'm still having the horrible chest pain from the trapped air. It wakes me up all thru the night and I have to walk. I'm hoping it gets better for you. (And me too)

And don't worry , I've also asked myself everyday. "What have I done" but down to 213 from 231 so it must be worth something. :)

Hey y'all! Today I am finally able to take a more normal sip!! It's not a full gulp, yet, but definitely can get more down! Whew!

TMI: I've also started having severe diarrhea today... anything to worry about?

Also, my incisions have always been sore, but today the one on the right side of my stomach (not the large one where they pulled the excess out) is UNBELIEVABLY painful. Any movements I make almost make me cry. It's not just the incision site... It's also whatever is behind it that is incredibly sensitive to movement. Any ideas?

Hey y'all! Today I am finally able to take a more normal sip!! It's not a full gulp' date=' yet, but definitely can get more down! Whew!

Also, my incisions have always been sore, but today the one on the right side of my stomach (not the large one where they pulled the excess out) is UNBELIEVABLY painful. Any movements I make almost make me cry. It's not just the incision site... It's also whatever is behind it that is incredibly sensitive to movement. Any ideas?[/quote']

I am a little over 7 weeks out, and still experiencing the diarrhea. It no longer bothers me, because I kind of know how long I have between consuming something & having to be near a bathroom. I've begun to eat more solid foods, but I've noticed that then the effect is I'm constipated (or feel like it). I need to be careful to mix liquids with solids, although not in the same meal. I'm also not bothered because as long as I'm "going" I feel like some of the weight is coming off!

I also had that pain under the larger incision just to the right of my belly button. It lasted the longest of all my incisions, but finally faded about week 5. Now I don't have pain in any of the sites and the scars are fading nicely.

Congrats to all you July sleevers!

Hey y'all! Today I am finally able to take a more normal sip!! It's not a full gulp' date=' yet, but definitely can get more down! Whew!

Also, my incisions have always been sore, but today the one on the right side of my stomach (not the large one where they pulled the excess out) is UNBELIEVABLY painful. Any movements I make almost make me cry. It's not just the incision site... It's also whatever is behind it that is incredibly sensitive to movement. Any ideas?[/quote']

I called my doctor about the diarrhea and he said not to worry about it. I still have some pain on my left side, but it's gotten better. I'd say that if it hurts that much, call your doctor. That's what they're there for. I hope you feel better soon.

FYI you can get liquid B complex, B12 at Whole food if you have one in your area. I'm being sleeved on the 15, I have a surgery stomach pillow that helps with coughing and getting up and down that I used from a previous abdominal surgery. My surgeon said I would have 2 night stay and go home on the 3rd day

Hey y'all! Today I am finally able to take a more normal sip!! It's not a full gulp, yet, but definitely can get more down! Whew!

Also, my incisions have always been sore, but today the one on the right side of my stomach (not the large one where they pulled the excess out) is UNBELIEVABLY painful. Any movements I make almost make me cry. It's not just the incision site... It's also whatever is behind it that is incredibly sensitive to movement. Any ideas?

I have had the most horrific diarrhea for three days straight. Today I removed all dairy based foods (no pudding, no milk, no dairy-based Protein powders/drinks) and voila--no diarrhea. Apparently it's fairly common for VSG'ers to have some degree of lactose intolerance post-op. I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow at my first follow-up appointment, but from the sudden improvement in bowel habits, I really think dairy is going to be an issue for me--do you think your tummy troubles might have anything to do with dairy?

I'm able to actually swallow normal sized sips today, too! What a great feeling, isn't it??