Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss...African Americans

Hi, I've yet to be sleeved, still jumping through hoops:/ congrats to all who have been nd gl to those still waiting. My question...has any1 had problems with Hair loss? Ive read many forums and people are freaking out about major hair loss. A lady asked in one of the forums and they told her to go to the African American forum and ask. So I went there to get an answer as well for myself. But only one person answered, I guess bc it was asked in a general title of over a thousand posts. So I started this one. Any post ops willing to answer? I'd greatly appreciate it:)) Dee Dee

I'm black and I haven't lost any hair and I was sleeved 9 months ago. I made sure to get in my Protein and Vitamins. I'm not sure if that helped but it didn't hurt. My hair is still thick and long. I've dyed and relaxed my hair several times since surgery and haven't noticed a change and haven't seen any breakage or excessive shedding.

I was losing hair initially but only noticed it when I washed it. I wear it short and natural but never any problems with thinning because my hair is really thick. Once I was able to intake at least 60 grams of Protein it stopped. During the times when I was losing it, I used a keratin protein Shampoo which may have minimized the hair loss..

I've dealt with Hair loss before and almost had a nervous breakdown so I'm so happy to here that it isn't as common in AA women I hope I don't lose that much

Ty all for your replies. I wear my hair braided most of the time or better yet loose locks which I do myself. I was just praying that when I do have the surgery, Lord willing, that I wont be leaving trails of plats behind me:/ thx

Thanks also I'm the lady that had asked the question but didn't know at the time how to find the forum so glad you took up the baton. I wear my hair locked so brushing through won't be a problem although when I was and condition I brush all roots (feels so good) wasn't looking forward to my locks dropping off after such a long time getting them to lock.

Ty so much for the encouragement.

Has anyone had the problem of eating everything that they think they won't be able to have post op??? :rolleyes:

Im African American...sleeved on Jan 31...my hair is coming out really bad. It started about 3months postop and it is still falling fast at 5 months. I am taking my Biotin, Proteins, and Vitamins. I am sooo scared that I will be bald if it doesn't stop or slow down. I have less than half the hair I started with. My sides are almost bald...omg...I'm kinda embarrassed but my weight loss is super...so I don't mind my hair much cuz I look marvelous...lol

Im African American...sleeved on Jan 31...my hair is coming out really bad. It started about 3months postop and it is still falling fast at 5 months. I am taking my biotin' date=' Proteins, and Vitamins. I am sooo scared that I will be bald if it doesn't stop or slow down. I have less than half the hair I started with. My sides are almost bald...omg...I'm kinda embarrassed but my weight loss is super...so I don't mind my hair much cuz I look marvelous...lol[/quote']

Yikes!! I pray that u don't go bald, bless ur heart:( .I'm terrified. Hmm, I guess wigs are an option:/

Has anyone considered box braids as a protective style for hair retention?

I am considering braids...my daughter has the box braids and she is catching heck with them...they r heavy on her head and uncomfortable when she sleep....Hmmm..so I might get reg braids because pulling back in a lil thin ponytail is not cutting it...lol

I'm not sure what's its called but I wear my hair in braids now. Well, I braid them myself so they look more like plats maybe. Yes, there are uncomfy when I first do them but aftr a few days I'm good. But like I said, I've not been sleeved yet and I wanted to know if any1 had those issues bc I didn't want my braids falling out. Nor did I want the braids to be stress for my hair if people r havn problems w Hair loss. Thx:)

I was told Biotin would help. You can get it in the Vitamin section. Helps with nails too.

TY. My surgeon told me that hairloss is inevitable, which is y I started the AA thread bc on the other forums, a lot of Caucasians are sayn hairloss happened to them all. The few Latinos I read had no hl, which is y I asked any of us had we had any problems postop. And it doesnt seem to b as big of an issue for us, at least I've not read much. He said Biotin wudn work. Idk if its bc of his experience w more Caucasian people telling him that or what. Idk, just speculating. But as I've read their post, some use biotin nd day that it helps w regrowth, not stoppage but to make sure ms take ur Vitamins nd mostly get allll of ur daily allowed Protein. So gl to us all;))

MegaTek and Jamaican Black Castor Oil mix WORKS... that and protective styling. Also I'm pre sleeved but know someone who is post and uses collagen dietary supplements in their shakes as well as keeping their Vitamins and Protein up. Hope this helps :)