Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes type 2 and hypertension after surgery

Just a quick ? My husband is considering this surgery. Have you had any luck coming off meds due to weight loss? He takes 2 types of I Surin and 3 loos pressure meds. My words of encouragement for him?

I am a type 2 diabetic, and before the surgery I was on 40 units of insulin daily plus the maximum daily metformin dosage of 500 mg twice daily--even on the meds I was having difficulty controlling my glucose levels, and my a1c got as high as 11 at one time...since WLS, I am down to just 1/2 of a metformin once daily, and I don't really think I need that..most days my glucose levels don't go over 110 or 120 and most of the day stay under 100...haven't had lab work though since my VSG on May 6...I will go soon to my PCP for blood work and am expecting my a1c to be below 7 this time...I am hoping this is a permanent remission of my diabetes...I doubt I will ever get of blood pressure meds...I think mine is a genetic predisposition because I have been taking meds for hypertension since I was in my 20s and of relatively normal weight...I am on two types of meds now for blood pressure and at least hope my PCP will take me off one of them soon...best of luck to your husband in his decision process--it is a tough one (or at least was for me)

I was on Metformin for Diabetes & Lisinopril for my blood pressure prior to surgery. Just prior to surgery they had me off the Metformin & I did not have to take it again. I was taking my blood pressure medication for a few days after, but almost passed out in the shower. I asked my PCP if I could discontinue the medication. It was still above what he wanted it to be at the time (I don't remember the exact #) but he felt that with my changes that it wouldn't be long that I wouldn't need it. Almost 3 months off the medication my blood pressure was 99/71 as of yesterday.

Was taking 9 or 10 pills plus 15 units of Lantus/insulin prior to surgery.

Went home from the hospital day after surgery on 2 1/2 pills and no insulin.

So not really due to weight loss at that point but a big benefit of the surgery and food changes.

Hope to be off everything sooner than later:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!