Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery?

Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery? If you haven’t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

• Better health, with fewer medications and better reports from the doctor.
    • More energy to do my favorite activities and keep up with friends and family.
    • Clothes shopping! (Enough said).
    • Self-confidence and pride in myself.
    • Food doesn’t rule my life any more!
    • Something else – see my answer!

I have a lot more energy and I sweat a lot less. I enjoy being able to play with my kids and not watch from the bleachers.

Feeling and looking good...Being comfortable in my own skin...Being accepted...Feeling normal, being able to breathe

I'm a little over a month out- less medication, blood pressure and cholesterol, lowering my chances if getting the inherited diabetes. Best of all, smaller clothes! Hehe

Groceries last longer lol.

Haha!!!! a LOT longer!

I'm 4.5 months out and off My medications for my knees, and Migraine headaches. Most importantly my

Blood pressure went from 170/100 to

109/72 sometimes lower.

I've said this before but it miraculous to me.

I Love my sleeve!

I'm no longer distracted by my weight. Meaning, I'm not busy blaming my weight for other, larger issues in my life. I went into surgery truly feeling that the biggest problems in my life and with myself were solely due to my weight. I could not have been more wrong.

So for me, the greatest benefit has been an ability to truly improve myself.

~Cheri

Beautifully put, Cheri.

It's still weight related, but it felt great being able to fasten an airline seat belt again without needing my extender and also having the tray table fall where it's supposed to fall and not be held up by my thigh meat. I will probably still carry the extender with me as I can't get used to it and follow my whole protocol of carrying a jacket or sweater (yes, even in the heat) just in case and still try to hide the extender inside my iPad case.

I think about all the flights I took before I bought my extender where I would just hold the seatbelt over my lap and cover up with my jacket because I was too ashamed and embarrassed to ask for one even though I always felt that I was so wedged in the seat that I wasn't going anywhere. I still feel wedged in. Seats are still tiny and I'm still tall and my knees still hate it when people recline, but it's not AS bad as it was.

My surgery date is August 8th and the one thing that is driving me to succeed is the arrival of my first grandchild in December. I decided if I wanted to play an active role in this child's life, then I needed to be able to help my daughter when the baby is born and at my current weight that would be a problem in mobility and endurance. The health benefits another major aspect and a big hell yeah, I want to go shopping for smaller clothes!

My top benefit is health. Next up is energy, followed by clothes. I don't like shopping still, but its way easier to grab a tshirt and jeans now.

Weight was the one area in my life that was totally out of control. I had been working to fix it for years. I feel in control now.

Lynda

Ability to climb stairs easier...and no hot flashes :)

Even though I have lost 43 pounds (8 weeks out tomorrow) I haven't gone shopping yet - but am looking forward to it...(I still have plenty of clothes that I can "shop" in my closet since I have sizes ranging from 10 to 22)!

Just had my sleeve done on Monday, July 29th. I look forward to getting my backside to fit in any and all chairs/ seats presented to me. No more fear of the tiny chairs at my daughter's elementary school or tiny seats in the theater! I also look forward to walking more often, further, with less pain in my knees and feet. These may be small victories for someone else but they will mean the world to me.

Five months out and down 72 pounds. I'm thrilled that food no longer seems to have a hold over me! It is also so much easier just getting around, especially in the summer when it is so hot. I still have 48 pounds to go, but I'm already enjoying being much smaller. Best decision I ever made for myself to have the surgery.

I look forward to helping my daughter practice ballet, and karate and Tball and soccer! I want to be able to make my husbands jaw drop. And I want to go SHOPPING for my style, not whatever they have in my size (if they have my size)!!