Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Illan opinions please!

Has anyone had surgery with Dr. Illan? If so, I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have, good or bad! Thank you!

I love him. I had my surgery 3/7 and couldn't be happier. There is alot of others that have had surgery with him but they really don't post on here as often since we have our own FB Group so that may be the reason you don't see many reviews.

I haven't heard one negative thing or anyone having any complications. So that is also a plus!

Has anyone had surgery with Dr. Illan? If so' date=' I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have, good or bad! Thank you![/quote']

Hi SaraLou! I was sleeved by a different surgeon a year ago but brought my 20 year old daughter to Dr.Illan this past may. 4 of my friends were sleeved at the same time as my daughter and two other women from my small town just got sleeved this past week by Dr. Illan as well. He is a wonderful person and a very competent surgeon. His team is fantastic and nobody can beat Omar (his coordinator) as far as care and concern for patients. I have yet to hear one negative whisper about Dr.Illan. I hope this helps!

Sleeved April 10 ,

best $4000 I ever spent

Has anyone had surgery with Dr. Illan? If so, I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have, good or bad! Thank you!

I was out of town for a wedding, so sorry I am late responding. I'm just over 3 months post-op after having my surgery done by Dr. Illan. I adore him! I'm re-posting here a review I wrote recently, so you can see it, too.

I couldn't have asked for a better doctor or coordinator. I know that, sort of by default, we all love our doctors. Really and truly, though, I've never had a doctor go to the lengths he did to make sure I was comfortable, both before and after surgery.

My boyfriend was extremely reluctant about my decision to head to Mexico for surgery...it's not exactly on most American's radar as an option, ya know? To help set his mind at ease, Dr. Illan and Omar did a Skype conference call with us. Dr. Illan was happy to answer any and all questions we both had, both about his experience and credentials, and about the procedure. I had lots of detailed questions, after researching for almost a year before booking. I truly wasn't nervous until the second I was being wheeled into the operating room. Nerves hit me at the last second and I just couldn't help but be overcome with tears. All I could think about was being thousands of miles from home, having an elective surgical procedure, while my 10 year old (of whom I am a single parent) was waiting for me back home. Dr. Illan hugged me, reassured me he'd get me home to my baby just fine, and held my hand with the anesthesiologist put me under.

I had a little more pain than I anticipated, as I deal with chronic pain already, and wasn't taking my regular meds. I didn't really want to bother anyone but my best friend, who accompanied me, told Omar the very first thing the next morning I hadn't rested that well due to the pain. Omar immediately called Dr. Illan. Both Dr. Illan and the anesthesiologist came in to check on me within 30 minutes. They both told me, several times, I should have had them called. I hadn't wanted to bother them (it was the middle of the night, after all) but they were both adamant that they *wanted me to ask them if I needed extra help to manage the pain. Once I was back on my regular meds, I was fine, but I was pleasantly surprised at how responsive they were.

I just couldn't have asked for better, more personal care. I actually am looking forward to going back to see both Dr. Illan and Omar again! I am currently trying to convince my sister to have the procedure, but if she doesn't, I will be headed back for plastics anyway.

As for Omar...his care and concern is unparalleled. From the moment we arrived until the hour that we left, Omar was concerned and making sure my every need was met. Not just mine, but my best friend's, too. When we arrived it was 2 pm or so local time, dinner time for us (we flew from the East coast). My best friend mentioned needing to get something to eat while I was getting settled, after she noticed the hospital cafeteria. Omar made sure I got settled, then came back shortly with dinner for her...he knew the cafeteria would be closed, so he left and bought dinner and brought it back for her. He was in constant communication, checking and making sure we had everything we needed and wanted.

I have read a lot of people have concerns about coordinators or coordinators not communicating with them...that has never been an issue with Omar. I still talk or email with Omar at least once a week. Sometimes I have a question, more often he calls or emails just to check in.

As for results...I had absolutely no complications post-op. I would say I am losing at a fairly average pace, not really fast but not super slow. Like I said before...I'm about 3 months post op and am down 50 lbs. I started at a 40 BMI and am now at 34. I stopped my high blood pressure meds within a couple of weeks of surgery. I've lost approx 10 inches in my waist and 8 in my hips and 3 pant sizes. I'm down 54% of my total excess body weight. I couldn't be happier with the results!

~Kat