Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be honest - does anyone regret the surgery?

I regret many, many things in my life. High school boyfriend. College boyfriend. Not going to Europe when I was in college. The horrible female mullet with big bangs haircut in 1990. But I don't regret having lost 90 pounds in the last year. I don't regret that I still have 70 to go and it's getting harder. I would greatly regret still weighing 325 pounds and being flat out miserable. I know the surgery isn't for everyone. It is work. But to image going back and the struggle it was to lose just 20 pounds back then - I can't even fathom it. There is work, no doubt, but regret for me would be never having done it. To those of you searching threads on "regret", think about how you feel NOW, last year, last time you wanted to do something and couldn't. That is regret EVERYDAY. Research every option and educate yourself thoroughly. Don't let any ONE experience (good or bad) influence you. It is a huge decision that you can't turn away from but this is not a one size fits all.

Hi. I'm 4 months post op and like many others, I wish I had done this YEARS ago I missed so much, but I'm back in the game. I not where I want to be but I am no where near where I was (4 daily insulin shot, HB pressure and cholesterol pills). I know and see first hand this is a miracle but it's not an easy path. I have a lot of new habits to develop for my new life but I am still very grateful.

Occassionaly, I wish I could pig out, when something tastes really great...but I would never give up how I feel now. I've lost 70 pounds including the pre-diet in 4 months.

Not a moment of regret.

So good to hear all who are glad they did this. I just started my preop diet and in a week I will have the gastric sleeve surgery. For a week I have been second guessing this decision. Reality is that yes I can diet and lose weight but have never been able to keep off the weight. I need this "tool" to remind me that I can't eat huge amounts. I am not worried about the surgery but life after surgery. I was so excited at the beginning of this journey but now feeling anxious about down the road.

I backed out of bypasses twice and a band once. I was ready when I learned about the sleeve. Is it easy? NO! Was it worth it? Absolutely. My surgery was July 15th and I'm down 75 pounds. It's never coming back. I still have 80 pounds to go, but threw out my fat clothes today. My husband has asked to take me shopping twice. Life is goid., Be brave!

I am only 11days out and I am happy with my decision. I'm not gonna lie....when I first woke until my week visit I regretted it. But it was so emotional because it was so drastically life changing. I couldn't drink a full glass of cold Water and that upset me. I had anxiety and depression. Because I thought what have I done. But then I went to see my surgeon and she explained to me that everything that I'm experiencing is normal. Everyone heals different. I had my gallbladder taken out July 9 .....so I was having another major surgery within 3mths of each other. So I stayed in icu for 4days with a fever. But then I was released that Sunday night and came home and I couldn't sleep and I felt myself becoming dehydrated and I started questioning my decision. But after I saw my surgeon and she prayed with me and assurred me it's gonna get better then i've been HAPPY. But still want to drink a big glass of COLD water but I am still happ about my life changing.

I regretted during my first month pre-op after having some complications that required a second surgery. I changed my mind quickly as the weight started falling off.

Now almost 1 year out and down 148 pounds I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to be sleeved.

This was the best decision of my life!!

I am one of those individuals. I got scared and nervous in June when I was getting ready to see the surgeon to schedule my surgery date. I even thought what if I die while on the operating table. Insurance had already approved everything. It's December tomorrow and I regret not having it done back then. I called again last week and have a scheduled appointment for the 16th of December. I am going through with it this time. I continue to read everyone's blogs and I pray that mine surgery goes well and that my first years is successful.

TvlGrl712, I am just three weeks out, post op, and I am already feeling regret. Don't get me wrong, I'm losing weight and lots of it. But I can't help but feel sad that I couldn't do this on my own. There are a lot of changes that you have to make to be successful. In hindsight, I wish I had tried to follow the post surgery diet during the six months wait for insurance approval, just to see what would happen.

I'm sure my sentiment isn't popular. But I actually had a debate with my surgeon prior to surgery regarding the fact that it's an unfair world where people are starving in some countries and people are undergoing surgery so they can lose weight in others. The irony and injustice really didn't sit well with me. You can imagine the look he gave me!

My decision to have the surgery wasn't an easy one. But, I was starting to have problems with my knees, I couldn't participate in activities with my family and my health was starting to be impacted by the weight. After spending the majority of my 40 years living life as a fat person, I decide to see what it was like to finally be free of the excess weight. But I debated my decision for over a year. I finally decided to take a leap of faith, let's see how I feel about it in a few months. ????

My only regret is not doing this 20 years ago.

No regrets wish inwould have done it 15 yrs ago

No, I don't regret it. :)

I've lost 73 pounds and am 12 pounds from goal. :)

But my journey is far, far, far from over. Losing the weight is the easy part. The sleeve is a huge help--with its restriction and (thus far) the greatly reduced amount of ghrelin (the hunger hormone) coursing through my system and begging me to eat, eat, eat.

Still, changing my lifelong fat-person behaviors will make the ultimate difference in whether I stay normal-sized. I'm working hard on those parts, too.