Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be honest - does anyone regret the surgery?

I'm 41 and need to lose about 100 lbs. Im going through the steps to get cleared by insurance' date=' but I go back and forth? Should I just try a serious diet one more time (even though I've been steadily gaining this weight since my mid-20s and dieting off and on the whole time). Does anyone regret having the surgery?? I know its nerves, but its so drastic to remove part of your stomach...[/quote']

If you search "regret" you will find tons of posts asking the same question.

No regrets for me! Worth every penny!

Been sleeved for three and a half months now and it's going great. I can eat anything I want but choose not to most of the time. The portions are satisfying and I'm losing weight albeit a bit slower than many other sleevers.

Hiya Serendipity--just wanted to say, based on your ticker, you're not a slow loser at all! At 107 days out from surgery, with 104 lbs. lost?! That's just about a pound per day! That's fantastic!!

Hiya Serendipity--just wanted to say, based on your ticker, you're not a slow loser at all! At 107 days out from surgery, with 104 lbs. lost?! That's just about a pound per day! That's fantastic!!

LOL, 70 pounds of that was lost BEFORE SURGERY! I am a slow loser.. likely because I did lose so much before I had the surgery!

Yep, I regret it. I have had no complications except dehydration & I have lost 72 lbs...and I am just over 15 weeks out... I move more toward peace & acceptance with this terrible decision each day, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't wish life had a rewind button... but most people love their sleeve & love their decision to have wls. I am in a very small minority that happen to not love their love & not love their wls decision. Best of luck to you.

No regrets! 5 months post op -62#! Feeling wonderful!

Yep, I regret it. I have had no complications except dehydration & I have lost 72 lbs...and I am just over 15 weeks out... I move more toward peace & acceptance with this terrible decision each day, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't wish life had a rewind button... but most people love their sleeve & love their decision to have wls. I am in a very small minority that happen to not love their love & not love their wls decision. Best of luck to you.

You have been very open and honest with your regret and I'm sorry so many people have attacked for it. Your feelings are what they are. But I can't help but hope that one day you will be able to come in and say, ya, know, maybe this was a good thing.

I really do hope that for you. :)

If we are being honest - then yes. Sometimes I do.

When I want to drink some frozen adult beverages but cannot due to my drastically smaller stomach.

When I haven't eaten all day, I cook some good stuff or go to my favorite restaurant and I can only eat a few bites when I really want about 8 bites.

When i want to gulp down some iced tea because I'm very thirsty and I have to take slow small sips because I can't hold it all at once.

When I want some delicious stuffed jalapeno peppers and tequila based drinks and I can eat ONE pepper and drink a third of my drink.

When do I not regret it? When I get on the scale, when I notice how good I feel most of the time, and when I notice that people don't comment on my weight loss but I see them looking at me with a hint of jealousy on their face. Booyah.

Luckysmomma, it sounds like you're losing weight and not many complications, can you tell me why you regret it? Feel free to message me if you'd like. I am curious...

If we are being honest - then yes. Sometimes I do.

When I want to drink some frozen adult beverages but cannot due to my drastically smaller stomach.

When I haven't eaten all day, I cook some good stuff or go to my favorite restaurant and I can only eat a few bites when I really want about 8 bites.

When i want to gulp down some iced tea because I'm very thirsty and I have to take slow small sips because I can't hold it all at once.

When I want some delicious stuffed jalapeno peppers and tequila based drinks and I can eat ONE pepper and drink a third of my drink.

When do I not regret it? When I get on the scale, when I notice how good I feel most of the time, and when I notice that people don't comment on my weight loss but I see them looking at me with a hint of jealousy on their face. Booyah.

Sharonintx, those are exactly the things Im worried about - though giving those things up is hard, its sounds like its worth it though right? That's what Im trying to weigh = Staying fat, but enjoying my life (including food and drink) or giving those up and enjoying life in a whole new way - shopping and feeling good about myself.

I only regretted it for about 10 seconds a day in my second and third week, and that was only because of the blood clots that were in my intestines that I didn't know about. I had severe pain and no drs would give me an answer that made any sense to me and I was frustrated thinking something was very wrong with my sleeve. Once I got to the university and got real answers and was on the mend, I haven't regretted it for a second. In fact almost daily I tell my DH "I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!" Seriously

I'm 4 mos out tomorrow, and I don't have a single regret. And I even went to mx. Not a day goes by that I don't want to write "my sleeve" in the box in my gratitude journal.

Also close your eyes for a moment

Imagine yourself down 50 lbs or so. You're happier. It's easier to shop for clothes. You don't feel like everyone is thinking you're huge or staring at you when you put a froZen pizza in hte cart or little Debbie cakes. Occasionally you catch a glimpse of yourself an think "not bad at all. ". You have energy to play with your kids and you WANT TO! You are more active and feel alive for the first time in a very long time.

I could keep going. ;)

Not everyone's experience is line sharonintx. I can definitely take 8 + bites. I don't drink tho so that's a non issue. I enjoy the foods I used to like and I'm satisfied having it far less often in far smaller portions. Mostly because I'm enjoying SK MUCH MORE in life now. food was all I ever did. Now I do so much other stuff that good really became much less important. Now I eat so I can do the other fun stuff/ fuel my body for running, biking etc. . Not because there's nothing more fun to do.

Thanks amytug - that's what I keep doing - I've even online shopped for normal sized clothes... that is what keeps me going in this direction! I appreciate the encouragement!

I added a bit above. :)

Thanks for the post. I am also waiting for insurance approval and often start psyching myself out of my decision. I appreciate all the comments and it really helps confirm that this is the right decision for me. I will miss a lot of things but I hate feeling like a marshmallow and just want to be healthy.