Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be honest - does anyone regret the surgery?

I'm 41 and need to lose about 100 lbs. Im going through the steps to get cleared by insurance, but I go back and forth? Should I just try a serious diet one more time (even though I've been steadily gaining this weight since my mid-20s and dieting off and on the whole time). Does anyone regret having the surgery?? I know its nerves, but its so drastic to remove part of your stomach...

Only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

When I stopped to be honest with myself - I wasn't going to "seriously diet one more time." Sure, I could have...and I probably would have, eventually, gained that weight back (again). C'est la vie. I can donate a portion of my stomach to the HazMat container if it means I can get healthy, once and for all!

Yes there are people on this forum who regret the surgery, but I'm not one of them! Best thing I ever did.. If I was able to be successful with diet and exercise alone then I wouldn't have ever gotten up to 360 pounds in the first place. The way I feel about it is our stomachs are not MADE for eating three square meals a day plus a few Snacks here and there.... An unsleeved stomach is the size of a FOOTBALL ya know so you can fill up and then not eat for a few days.. Do I really need a stomach the size of a FOOTBALL in a culture where you eat three times a day?????

Been sleeved for three and a half months now and it's going great. I can eat anything I want but choose not to most of the time. The portions are satisfying and I'm losing weight albeit a bit slower than many other sleevers.

Only regret not doing it sooner. since march I'm down almost 90 lbs and probably added 10 years to my life.

I'm 41 (pushing 42) and I needed to lose at least 100 lbs. I've lost 90 in 8 months. It's the best gift I EVER gave myself. I don't regret the surgery or the power it has given me to control what I eat. I have my life back.

Thank you all - listening to you makes go back to feeling like this IS the right decision!

Do not regret a single thing! I also don't regret the timing. I did it when I was ready. It's been awesome, 110%.

I'm 41 and need to lose about 100 lbs. Im going through the steps to get cleared by insurance, but I go back and forth? Should I just try a serious diet one more time (even though I've been steadily gaining this weight since my mid-20s and dieting off and on the whole time). Does anyone regret having the surgery?? I know its nerves, but its so drastic to remove part of your stomach...

i'm 50. i've only been sleeved for a little over 4 weeks. I've had to make changes in my life and i will never eat the same again. Would i have the surgery again with what I know now? I'd have it without question.

I've proven in the past that I can take off 50 pounds with just a bit of effort. Problem is, it always comes back. The sleeve gives me a fighting chance this time.

Same as a lot of people...wish I had done it sooner. I had a friend who was going to get the surgery at the same time as me....she decided to try to lose it on her own with one last serious diet...that was almost two years ago now. I of course had it and now weigh 170, she managed to lose 50 pounds on her own, but then gained it all back and is now well over 350 pounds. When I see her I just feel so sad for her. She doesn't like to hang out with me anymore. I think it's because when she sees me she thinks of what could have been for her. :(

There are plenty of people out there that regret this surgery...but there are even more out there that regret not having the surgery when they could have. Good luck on your journey, whatever you decide...it is only a choice that you can make for yourself. :)

No regrets at almost 2 years out. Best feeling in the world to not carry around that extra weight and not worry about swollen ankles, and possible health issues in the coming years. Yes, it's a change in your life, but these changes are a lot better than changes for diabetes or heart attack.

Not a one

No regrets here either! I'm 4 weeks post op now...and losing slower than most, but more than I could have lost on one last serious diet alone. To be honest, I was taken off my diabetes meds (the day of surgery) and think my blood pressure meds will be the next to go.

Is there anything I miss about my old eating habits? Yes and no. Yes I miss drinking sodas but I know they were killing me. I was drinking about 6-8 real cokes a day (with all the sugar and caffeine). But this is a trade off I'm glad I made...no cokes=a healthier me.

Like most, that I didn't do it sooner!

Life is amazing almost 4 months out and is only getting better!

Good luck with your decision!

i'm 50. i've only been sleeved for a little over 4 weeks. I've had to make changes in my life and i will never eat the same again. Would i have the surgery again with what I know now? I'd have it without question.

I've proven in the past that I can take off 50 pounds with just a bit of effort. Problem is, it always comes back. The sleeve gives me a fighting chance this time.

Don is right...I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds..I need something permanent and something to keep me going after I cheated after a month. Now I have allowed myself a handful of cheats....tiny little cheats which don't result in big binges. I feel in control and more normal now than I did pre op. I eat small healthy portions and get full quickly. What's not to love? Down 100 lbs , I couldn't have done that without the sleeve

So far, at 10 months out, with no major complications, I'd have to say "no".

Karen