Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To tell people or not to tell people: please answer

I'm 4 weeks post-op and I have told many people at work and of course I told my family and a few friends. I have only had a couple of negative comments (both pre-op expressing their views that they didn't want me to have surgery). I'm now down 18 lbs and feeling much better about myself. Kinda funny, I didn't tell my managers til after I returned from the surgery (I had on vacation) and now they are all concerned about how I'm doing with it--to the point of asking how I'm feeling on a daily basis!

Tell who you are comfortable telling...or who you think will keep your secret if you choose to not tell many people. But remember, people LOVE to gossip and others will find out from the ones you trusted.

I am pre-op, surgery is scheduled for July 8th. I have told a handful of people and am not going to keep it a secret. I had a friend who had the lap-band about 3 years ago and didn't tell anyone. Just said she was watching what she was eating and working out. But she was losing so fast that you could tell something was up. The only reason she ever told me was because I told her I was considering getting a procedure done. Then I felt like she had misrepresented herself by not being honest up front. I figure I'm going to tell people, so then if someone is considering it, they know they can come talk to me about it and maybe it will help someone else make a decision.

I wanted to wait till the end of my 6 months and see if I get approved but everyone pretty much knows. I don't care what people think about this. I'm going to do it no matter what anyone says.

I work in a small office there is my superviosr and 5 processors, they all know and of cousre have had there questions but are all supportive. My supervisor even asked me if i wanted to work from the hospital. Ha ha, silly lady, but seriously, this surgery is for you and i know that people can bring their drama, but my opinion on the subject is tell everybody, if they have bad feelings about it or want to give you a hard time for bettering your self give them their walking papers. Your life is going to get so much better, and you dont need someone tring to hold you back because they refuse to see the great things coming your way!

I tell everyone who wants to know. The things I find out..... There are so many people that have had WLS and by telling them my story they tell me theirs. I couldn´t care less if someone thinks WLS is cheating or whatever they say. I have inspired a few people and that is good enough for me to know that sharing is valuable.

If a person takes off work and then returns and starts drastically losing weight I think most people will figure it out on their own. Of course it's always up to you to tell or not.

I always answer these threads the same.

Either tell people the truth or tell them nothing at all. If you lie, it could come back to you and you may well regret it. If you lie and people realise you are lying (which can happen especially if you lose a lot of weight) then your reputation is negatively affected in the eyes of your managers, peers, and colleagues.

I always recommend that people chose to act with integrity. Either tell the truth or say nothing at all.

I haven't told many people. Told family the day before surgery and was pleasantly surprised by the support I got. The truth is, you are losing weight through diet and exercise.

I tell people, I'm very proud of my decision and if they don't like it that's their problem not mine.

I told no one about my surgery. I didn't want to worry family & friends. And honestly, people can be mean, intentionally and unintentionally. My health is really no one's business. I am single with no kids, so it has been easy. Everybody thinks I am doing WW and gym again (which I am) for the gazillionith time. Once you tell someone, there's no taking it back...so, my advice is to think long and hard before you tell anyone.

Let me tell the perspective i got about surgery ppl will talk about when ur skinny, they will talk about you when your beautiful, no matter what you do people are bound to talk about you do what makes you happy and healthy. I love the fact i got surgery now i have a shot of showing the world what im capable of ^^. If you feel like telling go for it but if someone puts you down they are just jealous what your gonna become ~_^