Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

long term sleeve complications?

I'm moving in the direction on sleeve over RNY. (Taking out my band). 5 yrd ago when I had the band it was the "safest wls with minimal complications". This is now what I hear about the sleeve. I can't help but wonder......what will have to deal with that we just aren't aware of yet. Please, share your thoughts.

Thanks!

I had several complications after my surgery. I was hospitalized for dehydration, continuous vomiting, etc. Everyday is a struggle to drink, take my Vitamins, eat my Protein and Constipation. There are days I feel like I have stretched my stomach and some days I don't want to eat. There is also the struggle of head hungry. When I am depressed I eat and I have realized I can eat a small bag of potato chips compare to a few bites of vegetables. But, this is what I do know... I would do it over again... And every day I am on that scale weighing myself, one pound of weight and I am adjusting my diet. It is easier to lose two pounds compare to the 134 pounds I lost. Good luck to you!!! You got this....

I had the exact same question. When I had my band done in 2009, you rarely heard of complications. Now, seems like 50% of people with band (just my guess, no actual proof of the 50%!) have had some kind of problem with the band. Bypass haas been around so long there is more info on it. But the sleeve is still pretty new (wasn't even offered to me in 2009) and there's not alot of long term data out there.

The thing I worry about are what if something happens to the 15% of stomach I still have? I'm up a creek without a paddle. It's like donating a kidney. If something happens to the 1 u have left, you're screwed.

No amount of complications shown will change my mind, however. I AM going to get my sleeve. Not sure why I chose something that wasn't meant to be permanent when I NEED a permanent solution.

Good luck to you!

I know I've read on here somewhere that the sleeve has actually been done for many many years (50+) as part of the surgery to remove stomach cancer. Cancer survivors have lived long and healthy lives afterwards with no repercussions from having most of their stomachs removed. I've had my sleeve for 3.5 yrs, and can tell you I've had no complications at all due to it. I did have a hematoma develop post-op in the area where the port from my band had been when it was removed, but this can happen with any surgery.

My step mom had this done about 35 years ago due to stomach ulcers. I don't think it is as small as we are all getting, but a sleeve. She did not NEED to lose weight, but did and has kept it off all these years. Never any problems that I know of, she is 83 yrs old.

Your responses have calmed my nerves! I'm a bit of a "catastropher" so I'm always thinking of worst case scenarios. I want to be in shape and healthy not skinny and sick....which is why I'm choosing sleeve over RNY. Thanks everyone.

The most common issues I've seen in report tracking people 5 years and beyond is weight gain and acid reflux. Some have an issue with a neofundus (part of the stomach regrows or stretches, allowing weight gain, acid reflux and other issues), but there is some debate about that being caused by poor technique when doing the sleeve.

If you don't eat right or take your Vitamins, also problems with Protein, Vitamin or Calcium deficiency.

Lynda