Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you tell people when they ask

So you've had the surgery. What do you tell people who are asking you about losing weight? Some suggestions on how you word it.

I know I should say how should you say it. I had weight loss surgery?

Some people choose not to tell people outside their family and close friends. If you don't want to tell others, you don't have to. If they ask, you might tell them that you are losing through a high Protein diet and exercise - which will be the truth.

Some only need to know, diet and exercise. That's the truth. So what you had a little help. I only tell those that u believe may benefit from knowing, will not pass judgement, or that are just generally trustworthy individuals. Anybody else...mind your business. Lol

If you choose to say anything, I'd recommend telling the whole truth. Only telling part of the story could be misleading or construed as wls is something to be ashamed about.

If you choose not to disclose any of your personal health business, that's a viable option as well!

High Protein, low carb, and lots of time at the gym. Some people I tell I had surgery - but it stays away from college life for now.

thanks guys for your input.

Since surgery I've lost a noticeable amount of weight and if someone asks, I will tell them that I had bariatric surgery. Most people don't know what gastric sleeve surgery is and I don't go into depth with them on it unless it's someone who is asking more questions about it. Those people are also the ones who would generally benefit from the surgery too so I try to be as open and honest with them because it might end up saving their life someday.

I don't know if I ever would have been able to have this surgery if it hadn't of been for 3-5 people close to me that had already had the same or similar procedure done. Their openness and honesty made it easier for me to make the decision and know that I was doing the right thing. I hope to pay it forward to others as a way of giving back.

As for the haters, I haven't said anything about the surgery. I just sit back with my tiny meal, get full off of a few bites and let them try to figure out what's going on. Most of those types made fun of me before surgery so I don't care to mention it to them and they don't have the guts to ask me about it so I just let them wonder . . . and watch me get smaller each day. B)

I really like that approach firefly. I am a full disclosure kind of girl too and if I think you don't have my best interest at heart then I wont mention it either! Thanks for sharing!

There isn't anyone in my friends or family circle that do not know I am about to have barbaric surgery. Luckily they all also knew when my husband went through it last year and were very supportive. So I am blessed with that same support. All of us have struggled with weight issues, some for longer than others. I am having this procedure to extend my own life. For those who don't like it or think I am weak for going this route, well they can kiss it! LOL

I hear you loriann when is your surgery date?

wow I'm the 9th