Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 different surgeons, 2 different options?

So I've consulted with a one surgeon (he placed my band in 08) and he's happy to remove and do the sleeve in a 2 step process. I'm going to a surgeon for a second opinion (only because I didn't do this with the band and I regret not getting more info from another source) and he performs the removal and sleeve in the same surgery.....which is way more appealing to me. Anyone out here have 1 procedure? I'd like to hear from both (2 procedures and 1). Thanks!

I had it done in two procedures - my doc feels that it is safer to take the band out, let your stomach heal from the trauma, then get sleeved approximately 3 months later. I was happy to take the safer route, and I'm now happily sleeved (would be more happy if I could get past this stall!). Every doctor is different, so I guess it all comes down to what you're okay with! Personally, I absolutely LOVE and TRUST my doctor (he is not the same doctor who I was banded with), so I was going to do whatever he said.

I have heard of people on here who had to be "re-sleeved" because of the "all in one" procedure - apparently not enough stomach was taken out because it was so enlarged/irritated after band removal. You may want to talk to the "all in one" doc about that!

My surgeon said if the stomach is too inflammed than the staples won't hold and will leak. He showed me a lot ofpictures to see the difference. If mine isn't too irritated then he can do it in one if it is then it will be two steps. I'm hoping for one.

I'm praying for 1 surgery on July 16th, but I won't know for sure till I wake up in the recovery room. The plan is to do it all at once. Not only is it easier, but it's the only way I can afford it. I cancelled my Medicare Part B 2 yrs ago, cuz I never, ever useed it and it cost $110 mth. I'm a disabled vet and see a dr at the VA Clinic. So I'm in the insurance coordinators office last month scheduling my surgery when she informs me that Medicare Part B covers the drs charges - all $5400 of it. So I'm now responsible for that. I guess 3 1/2 yrs ago I did once use my Part B - to cover my drs charges on my lapband. I had no clue.

So panicking, I worried how I was gunna pay for it. I can sign up for it again (in Jan) and it will take effect next July. By that time, my stomach will be too damaged by my band to even do a sleeve. And Medicare won't pay for a 2nd surgery when my stomach is healed cuz my bmi is only 28 now.

So if I don't get sleeved at the same time, I'm SOL. I'm praying hard!

Oh, and my in laws were so worried about me they gave me the $5400. I have the very best in laws anyone can ask for! So surgery is scheduled for July 16th.

So I've consulted with a one surgeon (he placed my band in 08) and he's happy to remove and do the sleeve in a 2 step process. I'm going to a surgeon for a second opinion (only because I didn't do this with the band and I regret not getting more info from another source) and he performs the removal and sleeve in the same surgery.....which is way more appealing to me. Anyone out here have 1 procedure? I'd like to hear from both (2 procedures and 1). Thanks!

I really wanted it in one surgery so it would be less out of pocket and les pain with going twice. I had all my Fluid removed 3 years ago to let it heal. Then we could not get the insurance to cover it. That is why I had to wait 3 years. My surgeon prefers to do it in two steps but I told him about my insurance changing 7/1 and I was already approved for both so he told me he would plan on doing it all in one.

Well I woke up yesterday and my first question to the nurse was "am I sleeved" lol

Turns out I was :D

So if you can, get all the Fluid removed from your band to facilitate healing. It could take as little as two to three weeks to start repairing itself and reduce the inflammation. I'm not a doctor though lol so ask your surgeon what he thinks will be best.

Good luck with your decision!

I also had my revision in one surgery, my surgeon prefers it in one. My stomach was adhered to my liver where it had prolapsed over the band, but the band slipped right off my stomach with little or no scar tissue there. In surgery 4 1/2 hours, and my recovery was probably a little slower because if the liver complication.

I had all this done during one surgery: band removed, hiatal hernia repaired, sleeved, gall bladder removed, adhesions from previous surgeries removed. And no, I didn't have an unfill of the band prior to surgery.

Surgeons have good reason to do it in 1 or 2 sugeries. Sometimes its the only safe way. I had to wait 18 months to heal and if my dr did it in one... no doubt I would have had many complications and a very difficult recovery.. if I recovered at all.

This was me in Feb!

Lets just say the surgeon that would've done one surgery (band removal & sleeve) I never consulted with because the wait had been 2hrs and I left frustrated. I'm glad I did because I went back to the surgeon that did my band. He does two separate surgeries because he said its way too much trauma on the stomach to do one flat out surgery. I was bummed but he told me the patients he band removed and sleeved had leakage to some extent. I am not trying to sway your decision but I did want to share my experience.

I went into my surgery with the understanding that if my stomach was not too damaged from the removal of the band, my Surgeon would proceed with the Sleeve. I am fortunate to say that the revision took place during one Surgery.

Hey, I had it done in one procedure and my recovery is a lot harder. I had massive scarring and heavy distorted stomach from living with a sever slip which we didn't know until surgery.

I had one surgery and my recovery was an absolute breeze. I also had gallbladder removed and a hernia repair. I was back at work on day four post op. However my surgeon completely unfilled my band 3 months before my surgery, put me on several medications to calm the acid reflux and a medication for healing the lining of the stomach prior to my surgery. He also required several endoscopies

So that he had a better idea of what he was getting into there. I'm really glad I didn't have to do two surgeries he was able to get it done in one but I trusted him and would have trusted whatever decision he thought was best.

I had my band for almost 9 years and am now waiting to be sleeved. My surgeon, the same one that did my band, recommends 2 procedures. The reason I was given is that the stomach is thicker where the band was and bc of that they want it to heal. According to him lap band patients have an increased chance for leakage. He Also stated that being that the stomach has thickened or enlarged makes it harder for them to gauge what size staple to use. At first I was annoyed bc I'd rather everything be done at once, but now I'm glad that they are doing it in two procedures. If it's means less chance for complications I'm all for that. I have to do all the consults over again as my insurance treats me like I never had WLS in the past. My band was removed on 5/22 and last time I was at my surgeons office, the stated that with the way all my consults are scheduled I may be looking at a September date. Kind of poetic, since I was banded September of 2004. Good Luck with your decision!

Mine was two surgeries... which my surgeon encouraged me to choose, but, he was okay with trying for a single surgery. I had several reasons for choosing two and since I had no complications AND I eliminated all my doubts while waiting for the sleeve - it was totally the right decision for ME. I had the band for 10 years and it needed to GO pronto due to slippage and I just wasn't mentally prepared for the sleeve. 2.5 months later - I was eager to be sleeved. Realizing how crazy strong my appetite was with no band in place - I knew that I had no choice and needed another bariatric surgery. I think that being really sure was one of the things that helped me be successful.

I think there are definately times when it is very clear for medical reasons that it should be 2 surgeries, but I wonder if it is really true that it is safer for most people.

What I have been curious about is are there actual studies that show evidence of higher complications when it is done in a single surgery? I haven't been able to find any.