Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone not lost anything during the 6 months before surg?

Wondering if this affected your outcome for surg. Tomorrow is my last weigh in and I am up a couple pounds. Very nervous

I did not lose weight, or try. I think I even gained a pound since my pre op visit...not trying to eat more. I ate normal until 12 hrs. before surgery. I had no other health issues with my weight problem. Low BP. Healthy otherwise. I was self pay and had no requirements or problems for surgery or after. But I follow all rules now that I am post op. But would of surely followed all requirements if insur. would of paid. I am 5 days post op.

At the bariatric center in my city you are required to lose a % of your weight. If your doctor\surgeon didn't tell you to try and lose some weight then you shouldn't really worry about it. Although losing some weight really helps with the safety of the surgery?

Thanks for the replys, I have been concious with my diet but was told if I dropped below 40bmi I would not be covered(I started with a bmi of 40.4) but I am hopping its not a catch 22 and they deny me because I didn't lose any. Just have the jitters wondering if anyone else is in my position

I came straight out and asked my insurance company if my success or failure of the pre-op diet determined my approval and I was told no. I didn't want to lose too much and I thought I would work on my exercise which I have but I think I am building muscle staying the same and not losing on the scale but that does not mean I have not succeeded. Good luck my last visit is next week.

My insurance did not require me to lose any weight pre-surgery. My surgeon suggested trying to lose 10 pounds prior to surgery if at all possible in an effort to shrink my liver as much as possible - he recommended doing a "no carb is a good carb" diet. So I went totally no-carb for a month before surgery - and lost a whopping 3 pounds. No big deal, and no one seemed to care. I think the no-carb thing DID help me in my post-surgery food transition - I have always been a heavy carb addict. By the time the surgery rolled around, I learned that I could survive without carbs.

I didn't lose anything in my 6 months but I did try. Today is day one of my 2-week pre op "liver shrink" diet and besides being a bit of a grump, it was okay. And I hope to lose at least some weight during this period!! Good luck!

I came straight out and asked my insurance company if my success or failure of the pre-op diet determined my approval and I was told no. I didn't want to lose too much and I thought I would work on my exercise which I have but I think I am building muscle staying the same and not losing on the scale but that does not mean I have not succeeded. Good luck my last visit is next week

Thanks for the replys, I have been concious with my diet but was told if I dropped below 40bmi I would not be covered(I started with a bmi of 40.4) but I am hopping its not a catch 22 and they deny me because I didn't lose any. Just have the jitters wondering if anyone else is in my position

adargie, im in the same boat. I would lose and gain, lose and gain, and on my last visit i was up 2 lbs from my initial visit. Im scared too, and praying for authorization. I was told, similar to debdutah, that it didnt matter. its like they want to see that u really cant lose it. i was also told that the whole point of the surgery is because u cant lose it. but then i read that they want to see that u can stick to a program. i mean really and truly it is a very much a catch 22. we can only wait and pray. good luck to us and future sleevers.

I just had my 3rd weigh in of 6 on saturday i lost 1 lb. In my 1st to 2nd weigh in i had gained 3. So in total i am up 2 from when i originally met with the surgeon. I have been trying though and been keeping a food diary. I get frustrated but hey,that why i am going for wls to begin with. Despite my diet efforts its still hard for me to lose weight. Its hard to lose when you feel hungry all the time. I am looking forward to getting that full feeling of a few bites of food.

As a matter of fact I gained 14 pounds seems like I was eating everything in sight because I was going to do without.

Wondering if this affected your outcome for surg. Tomorrow is my last weigh in and I am up a couple pounds. Very nervous

Adargie, how did you appointment go? I have my last NUT appointment today.......I don't think I gained, but I don't think I lost either, so I'm a little nervous.

Well I ended up losing the couple pounds I had gained(by starving myself for 2 days) so overall my weight was one pound higher than my initial weigh in, so I remained at a 40.7 BMI. My dr was happy and they submitted my info to the insurance, now to wait, they told me 14 days and with the holiday it could be longer. :( So I am hoping to hear something early next week. I don't know anyone who has had this surgery with my insurance(priority health)so I am in the dark.

I'm glad it worked out! Keep us posted.

While I wasn't required to lose any weight prior to the surgery, I lost 18 lbs between initial consult in July & my Nov surgery date. Prior to the 7 day pre-op diet, I worked on the transition of eating healthier.