Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey!

So i'm 1 month out and I just started solids yesterday. And I think my surgeon made a mistake and made my sleeve too big. To be honest I dont even feel like I have been sleeved... Yesterday, I was able to eat a medium piece of chicken, 2 asparagus and a little bit of mashed potatoes. I feel like I can eat more than people saying ''im full with 3 bites''. Is this normal? I never feel full :(

plz help, im freaking out :(

Lau xx

Lau,

Wait a second. Take some deep breaths...if you went through the surgery, then you were probably sleeved (LOL)! In my 1.5 years of research, I've learned that different doctors use a different bougie size, which can mean that some people's stomach sleeves are literally larger (and so can hold more) than others. It also sounds, based on all the info on this site, like it takes a lot more time than 1 month for your new stomach/digestive system to really figure out what's going on. So, if you are able to get in all of your Water and your Protein grams, and STILL have some room for 2 pieces of asparagus...well, that's good, right? Because I know right now, with my (as-yet-unsleeved) stomach, I can fit a whole heck of a lot more than what you described. So, have faith, friend. These things will all straighten themselves out. This is a time of new beginnings, experimenting with what works, and surprises (happy and maybe otherwise...). I wish you the best!

Sarah

WOW, I cannot believe this unsleeved poster!! What the heck??

Well as you know, you wait fifteen minutes after you finish drinking before you start to eat,

and this is so the Water can go down the little valve and then into your intestines.

You should not be in a situation where you still have your Water, etc in your stomach.

OR visa versa.

I think that you chewed and chewed that chicken and just about made it pureed. Your restriction will not be as severe if you did that. Asparagus is pretty mushy, so everything you ate basically was soft or pretty close to being pureed.< /p>

You will not really notice too much, except a little heartburn if you eat too much.

When you start to eat much denser protien, you will notice that you cannot eat as much

Every body is different. On your next visit ask your doctor what size of bougie he used. Count your blessing that you are able to eat. My first month was pure hell and I could hardly get anything in. Fast forward 8 months and I learned my body was going through a lot besides my surgery. I have Lupus and between that and the surgery they were both competing to get my attention! I could see how you could eat the asparagus and mashed potatoes with chicken because they are more of a slider food. You will be fine, just enjoy the journey :)

There have been many, many posts here over the years showing that the difference in bougie size is so minimal that it's not even something we would notice in our capacity. Even comparing the smallest standard size (32, I think) with the largest standard size (48, I think) we're talking about two tenths of an inch.

That is not enough to fit in a chicken breast, I promise.

Try some very dense Protein like tuna - chew it, yes, but not until it's pureed. How much can you fit? Weigh your food before eating and after and you'll know what you consumed. Last but not least, be sure you really aren't drinking with your meals.

It's possible that your sleeve is slightly larger, than some of ours - I do not know your specifics. But would I say this is normal? It wasn't for me, that's all I can say. However, your swelling may have healed faster than mine. I was unable to eat more than a scrambled egg for more than a year. And keep in mind that some foods affect people differently. I never had a real problem with chicken but beef? Man - for months on end I couldn't eat more than a bite or two of steak or ground beef.

I can say that you certainly didn't stretch your sleeve with one meal, so put that worry to rest.

To really test this out I'd do a meal of a different dense Protein. Do not drink within 30 minutes of eating or 30 minutes after. I'd weigh, then eat what you can, taking small bites that are well chewed but not pulverized. See how many ounces of protein alone you can eat. Post that result here and we'll see how it compares.

Or even easier? Hard boil a large egg and see how much you can eat. I'm three years out and can eat a whole one but feel pretty darn full afterward.

Good luck, and keep us posted,

~Cheri

I learned that sometimes if I was able to overeat with my band it really wasn't in my stomach at all but backed up in the esophagus stretching it out. Kind of freaked me out. I had no idea. I think what the other people have said makes sense. But it also makes no sense to beat yourself up about a slip up either. Just pick yourself up and keep on going. You can do it!

Im 4 wks post op. does drinking fluids with a mean make you want to consume more food? Whats the reason for no fluids? Does it take up space so its harder to get nutrients in?

I felt the same way! I actually told my surgeon that I'm not sure he sleeved me! Of course we laughed about it and he said there will be times that I "definitely" will know that I am sleeved. I noticed with me, that some days I can eat more than other days. I feel pretty normal though, and I know if I eat too much or too fast, I get this pain/cramp that lasts a second and then goes away. I've learned if I eat past that..I'll throw up or just feel crappy. So, it's all a learning process. We are all different. I can easily eat an egg, beef, anything really. I've had no issues with anything at all. Which, is a blessing and a curse.

Hang in there...One thing that I've tried to do here, is not read so much on how much people eat or have lost. It's only human to compare and go "why can I eat so much, why haven't I lost as much, what am I doing wrong?" Focus on what you are doing and you'll be great!

There have been many' date=' many posts here over the years showing that the difference in bougie size is so minimal that it's not even something we would notice in our capacity. Even comparing the smallest standard size (32, I think) with the largest standard size (48, I think) we're talking about two tenths of an inch.

~Cheri[/quote']

I asked my doctor if the bougie size mattered, and he said that it did matter. He was adamant that 34 was too small and anything over a 38 was too big. He used a 36 on me...

Im 4 wks post op. does drinking fluids with a mean make you want to consume more food? Whats the reason for no fluids? Does it take up space so its harder to get nutrients in?

Drinking fluids with a meal interferes with the digestion process and will wash away what little nutrients we have going into our stomachs.

Well as you know, you wait fifteen minutes after you finish drinking before you start to eat,

and this is so the Water can go down the little valve and then into your intestines.

You should not be in a situation where you still have your Water, etc in your stomach.

OR visa versa.

I think that you chewed and chewed that chicken and just about made it pureed. Your restriction will not be as severe if you did that. Asparagus is pretty mushy, so everything you ate basically was soft or pretty close to being pureed.< /p>

You will not really notice too much, except a little heartburn if you eat too much.

When you start to eat much denser protien, you will notice that you cannot eat as much

It seems that I personally offended you by trying to encourage the OP. Attitudes like yours might be why so many people are "lurkers"- afraid to join online communities, post on them, or ever reveal actual names, photos, etc. because others will shoot them down (the opposite of what I was doing to the OP). Usually I ignore negative people, but it's Monday, so....chill out, Carol.

I also seem to never be full and can eat "normal" meals. I am 4 mn post op and talked to my doctor. He told me the same "everyone is different speech" and then told me never to be full. Be satisfied. He said for those of us who don't get full it will be easy to consume a lot if calories and over eat what we need. Never eat and drink at the same time-wait the 1/2 hour. Chew as much as you can to let your brain catch up with your stomach.

So I personal do the following:

Measure out everything, use fitness pal app on my phone to track every calorie I take in, work out and get in at least 70 ounces of Water daily.

That keeps me full for the most part and keeps me in check. I still am losing so it works for me. I hope you find what works for you.

Carol1560, on June 24, 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

OR visa versa.

I think that you chewed and chewed that chicken and just about made it pureed. Your restriction will not be as severe if you did that. Asparagus is pretty mushy, so everything you ate basically was soft or pretty close to being pureed.< /span>

It seems that I personally offended you by trying to encourage the OP. Attitudes like yours might be why so many people are "lurkers"- afraid to join online communities, post on them, or ever reveal actual names, photos, etc. because others will shoot them down (the opposite of what I was doing to the OP). Usually I ignore negative people, but it's Monday, so....chill out, Carol.

I really think that people who have questions about their sleeve issues appreciate it much more if they get an answer from someone who actually has had the procedure done.

I dont think that was being negative -- so zip it

Carol1560' date=' on June 24, 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

OR visa versa.

I really think that people who have questions about their sleeve issues appreciate it much more if they get an answer from someone who actually has had the procedure done.

I dont think that was being negative -- so zip it [/quote']

A little rude.. But this is a public forum with tens of thousands of members from all over the world. You can't stop people from posting. I'm pre op (10 days away :)!) but I know so much more about the procedure and diet and stuff then my uncle who was sleeved 2 years ago! Please don't be rude. Lets all get along :)