Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG and Lupron injection?

Has anyone gotten a lupron shot (it treats endometriosis) before, during or after their VSG?

Has anyone gotten a lupron shot (it treats endometriosis) before, during or after their VSG?

I, too, have endometriosis and did a round of Lupron therapy several years ago. I wouldn't think anything about it would really impact VSG. I will say I had a terrible time with side effects and, personally, wouldn't do it again in a million years. I think it's one of those things people either love or hate. If you can muddle through it, it can help your symptoms. I couldn't live with the side effects and had an allergic reaction to some component of the injection, so it wasn't for me.

~Kat

I did the one shot mega dose of Lupron...not to treat endo but to conceive (we did a FET last year). I actually had less side effects than I had in 2007 when I was morbidly obese. That time I was miserable with the side effects and felt horribly sick for days. This time, I couldn't even tell a real difference.

~Cheri

Oh, and I mean to add that if you're at/close to goal and Mirena is an option it is the only treatment I have ever tried that stopped the pain. It also (after a few weeks) stopped my cycle - so not only was I not experiencing the daily pain, I wasn't forced to endure that terrible ten days of the month, either.

Caveat: I had to have mine removed because while I was in early loss I simply could not lose and I felt more hormonal with it in. I can honestly say that my hormones were wacky the entire first year I was losing, though, so the only thing I can be sure it did was slow my already slow loss down. However, there are plenty of ladies here (check the powder Room) that use it and love it and have no problems.

Good luck,

~Cheri

Thanks! I am starting lupron next week. I'll do two rounds for a total of six months. I have stage two endo and my dr says this is the best way to get rid of it. And what better time then now to have a vsg? They don't want you pregnant too soon after surgery and the lupron will shut my system down.

Both of these are tools for me to get pregnant. 7 years of infertility is enough! We will be trying for a baby at the start of the new year.

Oh, and I mean to add that if you're at/close to goal and Mirena is an option it is the only treatment I have ever tried that stopped the pain. It also (after a few weeks) stopped my cycle - so not only was I not experiencing the daily pain, I wasn't forced to endure that terrible ten days of the month, either.

Caveat: I had to have mine removed because while I was in early loss I simply could not lose and I felt more hormonal with it in. I can honestly say that my hormones were wacky the entire first year I was losing, though, so the only thing I can be sure it did was slow my already slow loss down. However, there are plenty of ladies here (check the powder Room) that use it and love it and have no problems.

Good luck,

~Cheri

I will ditto what Cheri said with the Mirena. It's been the best treatment for endometriosis symptoms that I've found. My Reproductive Endocrinologist said he also likes the latest version of the IUD without hormones, though I haven't personally tried it. I had a Mirena placed after the birth of my son about 10 years ago and loved it. I only had it removed, at the convincing of my ex, because he wanted to try for another baby.

I had a 2nd Mirena placed almost 3 years ago, after an ectopic pregnancy. That one was removed about a year or so later, during the latest surgery done by my RE the endometriosis and for an inguinal hernia repair. In kind of an interesting twist, that surgery is what ultimately led me to the sleeve. :) The surgeon who did my hernia repair (my RE doesn't do the hernia repair) typically does bariatric surgery and suggested it as an option for me. I had never heard of the sleeve until she suggested it.

With the Mirena, it's a very low dose of hormones and an extremely common side effect that periods are suppressed.

~Kat

Thanks! I am starting lupron next week. I'll do two rounds for a total of six months. I have stage two endo and my dr says this is the best way to get rid of it. And what better time then now to have a vsg? They don't want you pregnant too soon after surgery and the lupron will shut my system down.

Both of these are tools for me to get pregnant. 7 years of infertility is enough! We will be trying for a baby at the start of the new year.

I did (or at least started) the 6 month rounds. I was diagnosed at 20 w/ Stage IV endo. I've had 5 laprascopic procedures for it. One was done specifically to get pregnant. :) I had surgery to remove the endometriosis and was lucky enough to get pregnant, with no additional intervention, within a month. I know some people are able to experience a remission of sorts post-childbirth, but that hasn't been my experience. My RE swears that the latest surgery he did is the newest, best technique and it likely won't grow back. It was widespread throughout my abdomen, including on my bowels. I will believe it won't come back when I see it, but I typically do get pain relief for a couple of years after surgery to kind of clean things up, for lack of a better term.

If your RE or GYN is on board with the VSG at the same time as the Lupron, I would think it's decent timing. My first thought, off the top of my head, is be prepared for hair loss. The Lupron can cause it, VSG can cause it, and together I think you'd be pretty sure to see that as a side effect.

As for post-VSG pregnancy, I know there's a specific forum on that. I think Cheri has some good experience on it, as well. Not that I'm volunteering her for questions, just saying I know that she's one of the many that has done it successfully post-op.

Good luck to you! I hope you get some relief from the endo. It can be miserable in itself, not to mention the emotional part of the side effects.

~Kat

You can PM me with specific questions about pregnancy or look at the posts I made on the board.

I can say that I did NOT get the nice window of remission after delivery this time. I'm only three months post partum. I had been using Nuva Ring to control symptoms but it's not cutting it this time. I don't want to try any other hormonal treatments until I'm well into my weight loss window again (I'm just a few pounds away now, so soon but not yet) because I cannot lose weight on hormones.

My endo is causing me more pain than it has in years and years. Initially post VSG I did seem to experience a lessening of symptoms. And no lie, for about six months after my Mirena was removed I still felt no symptoms or pain. But now it's pure misery and I'm hoping to get back to my usual weight so I can have one put in again.

It's hard enough to enjoy "alone time" with my husband postpartum but the pain is just horrible this time. I'm also a bit concerned that my lower back pain is a sign that I have widespread adhesions...again. It's frustrating, and I don't really want another lap right now. At least they don't (yet!) appear to be on my bladder again - incontinence AND pain is not something I ever want to repeat!

Best of luck to the ladies here - I hope you can find something that works to control your symptoms and also helps you lose weight.

~Cheri

I have never had pain from my endo. My period cramps suck , and have gotten stronger since surgery in march but I don't have any pain outside of that time. The dr kept asking if sex hurt or if I had pain during the month and no. The only reason we did the lap was because after doing multiple ultrasounds to check on follicles (sometimes three a week) we noticed my left ovary was in the same exact place every time. Turns out when we had the lap he found the endo had "glued" both of my ovaries to my abdominal wall. And it had covered 2/3 of my uterus. He says lupron is my best shot at clearing up the mess. He is onboard with me getting the shot while doing the vsg since I'd need to be on birth control anyway.

I'm ready to get started though. I'm going to go look at hair pieces to help hide whatever I lose. I have hypothyroidism so it's going to be a triple whammy on the hair falling out.

So I just got my first three month lupron injection about 15 minutes ago. It wasn't so bad After I bawled my eyes out.

Now I'm just ready for it all to be over. How long was it before you all saw/felt any side affects??

So I just got my first three month lupron injection about 15 minutes ago. It wasn't so bad After I bawled my eyes out.

Now I'm just ready for it all to be over. How long was it before you all saw/felt any side affects??

For me, I saw side effects within about a week or so.

~Kat

I am on my 2nd round of Lupron to help reduce menstrual cramps & long periods. So far, it's not working.. My friend said by the third dosage, I should feel the difference.