Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those of you who've already had surgery, what period of time do you think has been the most difficult so far and why? Was it the pre-op diet? The gas pains after surgery? The fourth week post-op?

Thanks!

For me, it was the day after surgery. I was absolutely miserable. The PA told us to expect that, bc my surgeon allows NO Fluid by mouth until after the post-op barium leak test, about 24 hrs after your surgery. I was uncomfortable from my drain, having trouble getting enough oxygen in, in pain when I walked, having difficulty getting in and out of bed, hated having my legs plugged in (lol), etc. But the worst part was being so parched from not drinking. The popsicle I had after my successful leak test was the best thing I ever tasted! By the next day, I felt 80 percent better. Now at 4.5 months out, I feel like that one day was just a little blip on the radar screen. I don't mean to alarm you by telling this, but I was glad that the PA told us what to expect bc I felt like it was better to be mentally prepared. Oh and I felt awful on the painkillers they gave me and once they changed me to a different on, I felt a lot better. I was having trouble focusing my eyes and it made me woozy. So if you don't feel good on yours, ask to try a different one. And if you get nauseous with anesthesia, ask the anesthesiologist to give you something to prevent the post-op nausea. That is a lifesaver.

I thought one of the hardest things about the pre op and liquid post op diet was not being able to chew. SF popsicles are a lifesaver

Hello there curious :) I didn't have to have that barium leak test after surgery and I didn't have a drain. I guess every doctor is a little different, for me the hardest part was keeping liquids in on and after the day of surgery. I went into dry heaves and that was painful because of the stomach surgery. I felt much better the 3rd day.... I was supposed to get up and go to the bathroom about 2 hrs. after surgery and was asked to drink something about the same time. Needless to say your stomach is so sore and swollen that the drinking was hard for me. I did not like the bloated feeling but that went away after week one. Today I am almost 4 weeks out, have lost 40 lbs and feel terrific, I have started exercising again, the wounds are healing, I am on pureed foods and I do fine with all the Fluid intake. My advice to you is...... don't push yourself.... thinking that to have to be like everyone else. Just do the best you can.! You will feel wonderful soon after. Neuanfang

The hardest part for me has been keeping up mentally with the physical transformation - and quite honestly, I can live with that ;)

For me, it was week 2. I was still getting the blood thinner shots in my belly, and trying to get all the fluids in. It was very challenging cause the meds were gone, I needed to walk every day and I was trying to gauge my stomach and what I could put in. It was very frustrating.

I am three years out next month - I had surgery with Dr. Aceves in July of 2010.

In my opinion? The hardest part is not recovery. It is not the diet, either pre-op or post-op. It is not learning how to enjoy exercise. It is not getting through the stops and starts and stalls of the loss period.

It's maintenance. It's getting to the root of whatever is causing the myriad of diets you have surely tried to fail. It is learning why you eat and how to stop it. Ultimately, for me, the biggest challenge has been realizing that I will not get to just reach goal and forget about food. I have to be vigilant for the rest of my life. I had to learn ways to eat that I can maintain and enjoy for life.

In the short term, things like post op aches and pains (normal), dealing with acid (normal), feeling frustrated when the scale won't move or even goes up (so normal, and still driving me nuts after three years) are all small hurdles.

Understand now that no matter what genetic or medical causes might also be behind your obesity, there is most likely also disordered eating in there somewhere. Be aware of it from the start. Know that the discomfort will pass. You will learn how to eat again. Some day, you will be able to eat pretty much whatever you want. Most likely, you'll only be on your PPI for a short time. You might lose in fits and starts but you will lose. You will find that magical balance of protein/carbs/fats that makes you happy and you lose on. And eventually, you will reach goal and be smaller than you've been in a long time.

But you and the why of your obesity? That's here to stay, unless you work on it.

Good luck! I do not regret my sleeve one little, tiny bit. But go browse the vet forum and really educate yourself - not just about what to expect post op (which it sounds like you're doing, great job) but on the very real challenges out there once you're at goal. Goal? That takes a year, maybe two, maybe three. Maintenance lasts forever. It's infinitely easier if you do the head work, though, so do it. :)

~Cheri

I guess for me.. it hasnt really been the surgery at all.. Ive changed what needed to be changed.. I do what is suppose to be done.. its all so normal for me now if that makes sense.. I think the hardest part for me.. is right now... I cant seem to see what others see.. I still see me as the big girl.. when in fact Im not.. I see the clothes I buy... ive seen myself in the mirror.. but I dont see the new me.. Im not sure why... its been so hard for me to see how I am now... I know im tons smaller.. but my brain wont let me see that.. maybe its a defense thing I dunno..but I feel like im not where I should be..even tho I am and past what a lot of others in my group have done.. in 6 mo. I have passed what was suppose to be my wt loss for a year.. yes that is an accomlishment.. but when will I see this? I dont know.. maybe one day I will see myself for real.... but for me that is the hardest part..not the dieting..not the surgery.. not the curious people..not any of that.. it lies within myself...

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Cheri ~ This is an extremely valid point. I spent four months in treatment last year for an eating disorder and having the sleeve fail because I revert back to those behaviors is my biggest concern. I feel like the emotional work was beneficial; learned a lot about myself and why I eat, but the food and exercise pieces were designed for anorexics (i.e., they take away all exercise and encourage you to eat junk food as a strategy for overcoming food fears). I had been working with a personal trainer and had JUST gotten into a healthy cardio/resistance routine, and as far as food fears go - my only fear was not having enough! Needless to say, I gained 20 pounds while I was there. What's worse is that I was told I hadn't gained (you're not allowed to know your weight or blood pressure). Um, then why can't I fit into the pants I wore when I checked in?

I've put on more since, but I've also made a lot of healthy changes (I quit my high-stress job, don't drink anymore, got a dog) and I'm much happier. My blood pressure, which has always been high, is 112/64! It doesn't bother me that the number on the scale and inside my jeans has gone up, but I'm starting to have knee and back problems and it's really slowing me down. I don't binge AT ALL like I used to, I just think my body only knows how to gain now. So I'm throwing a wrench in its plans!

This is Kates husband... we have chatted.

Ive hyjacked her account to answer this one.

Its not any of the above for me. For me its eating my meal atleast four times over and over and over.

I dont vomit per say but it comes back up and no matter how small I chew - 50 times - it comes right back.

My local doctor says I really dont have a real sleeve. Just a piece was removed from my stomach - bit to big a piece. I buy Tums by the case. Is it acid reflux? Theres no burning - no acid.

Do I regret having wls? No.

Do I regret getting it done in MX? No.

Do I regret having it done at 7-11? Yup

LOL

Westcoastlady's husband.

I'm sorry that you had a bit too much taken off. I appreciate that you have a sense of humour about it though. I'm sure it's difficult at times.

Cheri - that's very informative and insightful! I have never explored the idea of why I indulged in food so much and never made good choices (more so when I travel but I travel for work so it's a frequent thing).

Since I am only 25 days out, I can say my waking up from anesthesia was horrific. I was tied down at ankles and wrists, had a breathing tube in and some type of clamp in my mouth that didn't allow me bite threw the breathing tube HOWEVER, that clamp thing was down my throat and I immediately begin to heave hard and uncontrollably and then started throwing up while laying down (just liquid and foam). While all this is happening, the post op recovery person is screaming at me "calm down and stop doing that or you are going to DIE! All the while, as I am pushing the clamp out with my tongue and heaving violently, he's trying to tape the clamp to my face! I can't speak can't move and was terrified! The respitory therapist came over and took out the clamp but I had aspirated liquid into my breathing tube and was choking still but he suctioned it out and then I was settled down. Breathing tube stayed in 20 minutes and came out. The gas is surprisingly terrible and painful and from all the heaving, my stomach was so sore but they refused to give me pain medication for over two hours until I got a hospital room. Pain meds helped though but the first three days were pretty rough. I don't want to scare you but I did have an unpleasant experience. But now, all the pain is gone and I am feeling so much better and looking forward to mt transformation.

Vomiting the first two days and dealing w the head hungry for about a month until you get pass the soft staged and on to regular food I think eat regular food helps w the head hungry .. I was a bug meat and texture kinda of person we it comes to food and it was hard I just wanted to chew something

Vomiting the first two days and dealing w the head hungry for about a month until you get pass the soft staged and on to regular food I think eat regular food helps w the head hungry .. I was a bug meat and texture kinda of person we it comes to food and it was hard I just wanted to chew something

Yes, I hear bug meat can be quite addictive.

We have an abundance of bug meat in canada. Can I send some down to you?

No wonder why I eat the same meal 4 times... chew chew chew