Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help Me Decide ...

I havent had any surgery but am planning on getting the sleeve. I was interested in the band at first but really had a lot of issues with the port. I found a lot of people whose ports were visible through their clothes after they lost weight. Some surgeons attached the port to muscle to avoid this issue but then have to probe deep into your stomach to fill or empty the band and that didnt sound like fun to me. A client of mines has to give herself dialysis and she has a port, in fact she has had several because they get infected all the time and need to be moved and I didnt like the thought of that either. I also found a lot of info about erosion or the band slipping and that made sense to me, you are placing a foreign object inside your body I would assume it will either try to absorb or reject it, thats pretty much what the body does. I am not a big sweets eater but liked the fact that the band didnt come with dumping (though i have seen for some people it does) and also does not come with the malabsorption that may leave you nutrient deficient. I also like that you are left with the less stretchy part of the stomach. My cousin had bypass and although she has not regained all of her weight she can out eat me any day. This is clearly the fat girl in me, but I am being honest one of my considerations is the option that allows me the most variety in what i am able to eat afterwards. I know that changes from person to person, but my goal is to still be able to eat all food, but in moderation, something i have been unable to do with a whole stomach. From what I have read the sleeve seems to meet that goal as well.

I had the lapband for 3 yrs, I lost 100 lbs, however, after losing the wt, My band prolapsed, I didnt know what was wrong right away, I started throwing up, couldnt even keep Water down, then I had a barium swallow and it showed I had a sever prolase and had to have emergency surgery...While I was waiting to go into surgery I started throwing up blood, It was very scary, I was in surgery 61/2 hrs, the doc said I had so much scar tissue....I am sleeved now and about to get resleeved on aug. 1st, I am terrified of getting a leak, but you can get a leak from the band too if it erodes..the one poster on here got it spot on...with the fills and unfills, too tight too loose, sliming, productive burping etc...I dont miss the band at all...good luck on whatever you decide....

My name is Andrew and I'm new to this forum ....

I just attended my initial surgeon consultation' date=' expecting to get a lap band. My surgeon is recommending the sleeve over the band, due to my BMI of 53. However he made it clear that he will support 100% with whatever decision I make.

My hesitation is due to the added risks, especially after reading some of the nightmare stories in here about experiences of those with a leak. I know I have to do something, and although many have had positive results with the band, it sounds like it does require a lot of time with the ongoing adjustments and a reasonable chance of needing additional surgeries.

I do know a few people with the sleeve and both are doing fantastic, so that is very encouraging. I'm just hesitant to set myself up for a procedure that could result in serious potential complications with a long recovery time.

Hopefully I won't just put the subject of WLS aside, as I need to do something about my out-of-control eating and obesity.

Thanks....

Andrew[/quote']

Andy, all procedures come with risk they are a "possibility" however obesity comes with risk and left untreated they are almost a sure thing! I would suggest you look at lap band revision to sleeve rates in places where they were being used before here in the USA , seems like in time they almost always slip, fail, erode! Good luck and keep asking questions!!!

Good luck on your decision, however before you fear the leak idea, I would definitely suggest checking out statistics on the Band also, as I read some things that would make never consider the band.

I'm waiting to be sleeved, but a good friend of mine was revised from the band to RNY because of complications. My surgeon does a lot of revisions and said he doesn't think the band will be around in 5 years. Who knows if that's true or not but on these boards, it seems like a lit of people are considering revision. Good luck to you in whatever you choose:)

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice and information. I really appreciate it.

At this point, I'm done considering the Lap Band, given everything I've learned here and read about elsewhere. Still a little freaked out about the sleeve, but seriously leaning in that direction. Given that bypass is out of the question, I guess it's come down to the sleeve or nothing, regarding WLS.

I think about trying some former weight loss methods (atkins, meds, etc ..), and know that I can achieve some level of weight loss, but also know that I gain that weight back every time. Over and over ....

My next step is to make an appointment with a nutritionist, which I will do on Monday. Then, I'm attending my first support group meeting (run by my surgeon's office) on Tuesday.

Thanks again everyone.

Andrew

Andrew, how have your appointments gone? Are you moving forward with the sleeve?

Yes, I'm still moving forward with the sleeve. Had 1 NUT appointment and have my cardio and pysch coming up in a few weeks. Still a little freaked out by the surgery, but I'm moving forward nonetheless. Thank you for asking ...

How is your progress coming along?

Andrew

Ive been approved for the band to sleeve conversion. I have one more pre op test next week then we schedule the band removal and sleeve to follow after a few months. I'm kinda nervous too but I'm getting more confident in my decision with each passing day.

Ive been approved for the band to sleeve conversion. I have one more pre op test next week then we schedule the band removal and sleeve to follow after a few months. I'm kinda nervous too but I'm getting more confident in my decision with each passing day.

I have to say that I love my sleeve so much better than the band. I feel full when I eat so I am satisfied. I am one month out and have not thrown anything up. The only things I cannot eat are those my surgeons plan says not to and of course no more large portions. Removing my band and getting sleeved was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am losing weight slow compared to others due to metabolism issues I knew I had prior to my sleeve. But I am losing steadily and at a rate greater than I did with the band so this was the right move for me. Good luck on your journeys!

I know people with the band and people with the sleeve . Everyone with the band gain their weight back , everyone with the sleeve haven't gained 1 lb back . So I'm going with the sleeve .. But I also read and read about .. Good luck