Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help Me Decide ...

My name is Andrew and I'm new to this forum ....

I just attended my initial surgeon consultation, expecting to get a lap band. My surgeon is recommending the sleeve over the band, due to my BMI of 53. However he made it clear that he will support 100% with whatever decision I make.

My hesitation is due to the added risks, especially after reading some of the nightmare stories in here about experiences of those with a leak. I know I have to do something, and although many have had positive results with the band, it sounds like it does require a lot of time with the ongoing adjustments and a reasonable chance of needing additional surgeries.

I do know a few people with the sleeve and both are doing fantastic, so that is very encouraging. I'm just hesitant to set myself up for a procedure that could result in serious potential complications with a long recovery time.

Hopefully I won't just put the subject of WLS aside, as I need to do something about my out-of-control eating and obesity.

Thanks....

Andrew

This is a really tough question that probably only you can answer. When my husband and I attended various surgeons weight loss seminars, he thought the band would be the best choice but said he would support whatever I chose. I didn't like the idea of something "foreign" in my body and it seems like everyone I know "knows somebody who had issues with the band" <== sounds hypocritical as I'm super sensitive to these comments about WLS in general. I also didn't like the idea of all the adjustments. While I know a few people who had bypass with great success, I didn't like the idea of rerouting stuff and dumping scared me (although this happens for some with the sleeve - so far not me luckily!). I'm happy with my choice (I'm 3 weeks post op) but the pre-op diet and first week after surgery were tough for me.

You seem to be doing the right things by researching your options and considering the pros/cons of each. I think if you pick a good surgeon with lots of experience and do your research on them, your risk of a leak or other complications should be low but there's always a risk with any surgery. Something to consider is finding a "Center of Excellence" surgeon. Oh, and I should mention that you have to do your part as well by following your Dr's orders regarding diet and other instructions as your new tummy heals. Even if your Dr does a great job, you can screw it up by deviating from his orders.

Best wishes to you as you decide what is the best choice for you.

Hi Andrew,

I am 5 yrs post op of the lap band and I am now considering the sleeve. I chose the band because I didn't want to alter my body with RNY and I don't recall the sleeve being an option when I decided on the surgery. I lost slowly over 2.5 years then stalled and started re-gaining. I don't blame the band exactly, but in hindsight I wish I would have chosen a surgery that provided faster results. The band is difficult to get use to but you can get there. Also, I've learned in my new research that 60% of people banded have it removed after 5 yrs due to complications or not reaching their desired goals. I have not reached desired goals, therefore I am considering a band to sleeve revision. It's scary to think about having 80% of the stomach cut out, I will be meeting with a surgeon to discuss on more detail. It's not a decision to take lightly but I am considering it because I want better results, its why I had he surgery to start with. I am leaning towards the sleeve because of the Vitamin loss which isn't a risk as it is with RNY. (Always need Vitamins, but not as risky with sleeve) Good luck on your journey!

Take a look at the band to sleeve revision. Seems like there are more issues w the band and most people end up with a revision

I would listen to your surgeon. I never even considered the band because I known a few people in the family one had a few slips and they both gained some of the weight back. Then I come on here and see so many revisions .

I would listen to your surgeon. I never even considered the band because I known a few people in the family one had a few slips and they both gained some of the weight back. Then I come on here and see so many revisions .

This happened to me. Decided to remove the band wait 10 wks and was sleeved. So far, loving my sleeve much better as far as restriction and most of all---> comfort! Best wishes on your decision.

I am new here but I really felt the need to respond to you. I got a lap band back in 2011, since then I have had 4 hospitalizations, persistent nausea, fainting after I eat, and many more problems than that. I was led to believe that lap band was not only safer but easier to recover from and that is was completely reversible. As a RN, I thought wow, that sounds great. What I didn't know what that most people end of having the band removed either because it didn't really work or it slipped/eroded/etc. The aftercare for the band requires accessing your port for fills, unfillings if it too tight, and avoidance of certain textures of food because things get stuck even if your band has no saline in it. Many people get "stuck" and there is this odd thing of this slime that starts to come up, eventually you starts kind of burping without noise and out comes your food. I throw up 4 or more times a day because of this. So what ends up happening is you begin to eat foods that go down easy- mashed potatoes, Pasta, creamy Soups, etc which aren't great for weight loss. Even if you are diligent in your diet, your band can still slip. After all your organs do move around a bit when you move and it basically kind hula hoops or slides out of place. For me, it would slide over my Vagal nerve and I would faint. Finally, my band slipped which I found out last week. My lap band surgeon was one of those 1 800 Lap Band kind of places and as soon as I had my surgery they deserted me.

I am now in Kaiser and my new surgeon is fantastic. I had never considered the gastric sleeve. Honestly I have never heard of it and I am a RN. When he explained that the gastric sleeve did away with "95% of the complications of bypass" I was sold. You basically still have a small stomach with all the normal plumbing and thus more normal function and absorption. So less likely to dump or have malnutrition issues. Not that surgery is without its complications but it seems much less so. I am having my band removed June 28th with a revision to the gastric sleeve. I cannot wait.

Another thing about the band, you are a slave to it. If you eat something you shouldn't- you will get stuck. Also, if you overeat- it sits in your esophagus for a long time which also causes heart burn and back flow of the acid. Sometimes my port shocks me- little electric shocks. When I woke up from Lap Band surgery I was screaming in agony- I was in tremendous pain and I have a very high tolerance to pain in general. Many stories I heard on hear people say the revision to the sleeve seemed to go better or was easier than lap band. I also saw alot of research that by removing the larger portion of the stomach, the ghrelin (hunger hormone) is almost completely gone. Lap band patients have experienced up to 50% increase in this hunger hormone over the first 8 months. Something to consider.

If you want a bottom line, if you want a permanent solution and are going to do surgery anyways- consider doing the sleeve. I was on the lap band talk website for 2 years and many of them are now doing the revision to the sleeve or even to a bypass. Most seem to regret getting the band in general and most did not lose the kind of weight they wanted to. I wish someone had said its not going to be easy, you will have to think and remember you have a band every day, and explained to me my other options- I may not have went the lap band route.

Just something to consider.

I have not had my surgery yet. I am scheduled for June 24th, 3 days to go. My initial intent was to go with the lap band, I have changed my mind. The sleeve appeals to me for multiple reasons. I like the idea of a significant decrease in hunger due to the decrease of ghrelin. I also like the fact that the part of the stomach that remains as little stretch to it. But most of all because of the conversations I've had with my best friend who has the lap band. She had been in for many adjustments and at this point her insurance no l longer covers the visits. There are issues with tissue that has formed around it (the port, I believe ) My understanding is that adjustments are no longer an option. But most of all because she always feels hungry. Never really satisfied. It does stop her from over eating. Therefore she has lost weight.

Having said all that I'm not suggesting you choose one over the other, just sharing.

I don't regret getting my band bc I would certainly have climbed to over 400 lbs without it, but I am revising to a sleeve on 6/25 due to complications with my band. I too did not have the sleeve options when I was banded 6 years ago. On lapbandtalk.com you will find many wonderful success stories and many horrible complications as with any surgery. Do your research and find what fits you best. I personally am ok with having 85% of my stomach cut out after having the horrible complications I had. But I am still not ok with the bypass. Good luck!

You are right that sleeve is considered major surgery and brings with it some additional risks, however, there are plenty or "horror stories" w lap-band as well. My surgeon, who admittedly was slow to adopt the sleeve, now says that he can only recommend the lap-band with serious reservations...he says what he likes about the sleeve is that his patients have great outcomes while saying it is easy to live with (the latter not being something that either bypass or lap-band patients tend to say)

Being on the Vertical Sleeve Talk forums, I'm sure you're aware that you're going to hear primarily from "pro-sleevers." Personally, I had a LapBand put in January 2010 and it began to slip a year out. While I lost 130 pounds with the band, the slip continued further and further until it was at the bottom of my stomach (my new doctor has no idea how it got that far). Long story short, I moved states/careers after getting the surgery and found a terrific doctor (my current doc) - but my insurance wouldn't cover removal no matter what. My slip was life threatening (one stuck episode could cause a trip to the ER for emergency removal - insurance made it clear they wouldn't cover that either). I lived with a severely and irreparably slipped band for 2+ years and slowly ate/threw up/drank (high sugar drinks) nearly 100 of the pounds I had lost - we call that pity/depression and "soft food syndrome" - eating/drinking anything that has a chance of going down...FYI? Frapuccinos are not good for weight loss :).

Cut to December 2012 - I was laid off from the job I had moved cross country for and, luckily, was re-employed in a new state in late January 2013. This job's insurance COVERS WLS - I got the band removed in March 2013 (had to wait for my new insurance to kick in) and, after my stomach had a chance to heal, was sleeved 2 weeks ago.

Initially, I had a lot of the same thoughts posted above - I chose the band because I didn't want to permanently alter myself, was worried about complications, etc. The statistics today, though, are what they are - much more in favor of the sleeve for long term and permanent weight loss, much safer, etc. The band, on the other hand, has decreased in both effectiveness and safety since I had it done in 2010. Knowing what I know now? Even without having experienced the hell I endured? I'd choose the sleeve over the band.

And? I'm stoked to be a new sleever :).

Do the research and come to your own, informed conclusion - it's the only way you'll be at peace with your decision! Horror stories are what they are - some live through them, some don't. The way I see it? Obesity isn't a disease I want to live with for the rest of my life, and I certainly don't want the complications that are bound to come my way as an aging obese person (I'm 32 now, but co-morbidities run rampant in my obese family). WLS is my forced behavior modification - my tool - to help me conquer this lifelong battle.

Absolutely check with your insurance company about what is covered if you do have complications- I work in case management and I do know many insurances will cover getting it in but not getting it out or the fills/unfills or even if you have complications. And sometimes they only cover 1 weight loss surgery for a lifetime- so wouldn't it make sense to make it be the one that has demonstrated the most success? There are many many people out there that have had partial or total removal of their stomach not for weight loss but due to cancer/etc and they do just fine. I would do some more homework with your insurance company first and ask those questions. Then you should be able to feel confident in whatever decision you make. Good Luck!

I have not had my surgery yet. I am scheduled for June 24th' date=' 3 days to go. My initial intent was to go with the lap band, I have changed my mind. The sleeve appeals to me for multiple reasons. I like the idea of a significant decrease in hunger due to the decrease of ghrelin. I also like the fact that the part of the stomach that remains as little stretch to it. But most of all because of the conversations I've had with my best friend who has the lap band. She had been in for many adjustments and at this point her insurance no l longer covers the visits. There are issues with tissue that has formed around it (the port, I believe ) My understanding is that adjustments are no longer an option. But most of all because she always feels hungry. Never really satisfied. It does stop her from over eating. Therefore she has lost weight.

Having said all that I'm not suggesting you choose one over the other, just sharing.[/quote']

Hey my sleeve buddy.. Mine is also on the 24th!!!

I am 14 weeks post-op, no real complications except dehydration...but I do NOT recommend wls unless extreme circumstances (mine was keeping my mobility due to a permanent injury). I recommend the 3 Ws..Weight Watchers, walking, and Water only. If you decide surgery, read, research, prepare, talk with someone who has had the surgery you've chosen, find a shake you like now, change habits now...and then, till you wake up from the surgery..you don't truly know what you've gotten yourself into...best of luck to you. DO what is best for you and your situation.

Thanks very much to everyone for all the great advice. It's helping a lot to hear the real life experiences and opinions.

Please keep it coming ...