Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I a walking scale?

So people at work are finally noticing my weight loss. You'd think that would be a good thing. However that is all they want to talk about. I try to talk to the Project Manager about the progress I am making on my work and she blows me off. However she has no problem asking me how much weight I've lost, what am I doing to loose weight, etc. She'll walk right by me and completely ignore me to talk to other people on our team but when she decides to talk to me it is always about weight. What am I a walking scale? Anyway, glad I got that off my chest. Life goes on.

Ah, yes...it's like Goldilocks, we are looking for the "just right" amount of attention as we lose weight...too much and we feel like we are a circus act...too little and we feel invisible

Maybe with your Project Manager, when she wants to chitchat about weight loss, you could divert her with "I'd love to, but before we talk about that, I really need to catch you up on some key information and updates about how my work is going right now."

I think jensjoy is right--it's hard sometimes to hit that good balance of not too much attention/feeling like your progress isn't even noticed. Hang in there.

This is why I am doing this BEFORE I start working and interviewing again. I have has time off with school (masters/MBA), a baby and my mom with Alzheimer's. I call it my chrysalis phase. I hated most of my coworkers wherever I worked because they were superficial and judgmental when I was skinny. I can't imagine how cruel folks would be now I am morbidly obese. When you deal with the entertainment industry or marketing it's awful. You have NO IDEA.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind if people notice. Its just that it is not all I want to talk about (especially at work).

Interestingly enough I ran into her in the break room. She apologized to me for eating potatoes with her eggs. I told her she could eat what she wanted. I am so not judgmental.

So weird.

Ah, yes...it's like Goldilocks, we are looking for the "just right" amount of attention as we lose weight...too much and we feel like we are a circus act...too little and we feel invisible

I've gotten the gamut. At first, people kept telling me that my hair looked great in my new cut or color (which I hadn't gotten). I just smiled and said thank you. Then a guy at work told me I looked great without my glasses (I've never worn glasses to work). I just smiled and said thank you. I also had one person stop and say "something is different about you, but I can't put my finger on it!" I said I had lost weight, and it seemed that my saying it gave them permission to acknowledge it. And this is with 92 lbs down! People are funny!

Yes, people are funny. Me, I don't like too much attention. A compliment here and there is ok. But I have this 1 co-worker that would say stuff that she thought was a compliment but it was so over the top it was offensive. Some would say a form of harassment. Other coworkers say the lady may just be envious. I tried to tell her several times it was too much, but she kept going almost every other day. REALLY. I often find my self just avoiding her now because the very last time she caused such a big stir, had so many people up out of there seats, it was an embarrassing moment. Too much attention all at once for such a private person.

Because of office gossip, I didn't tell any of my co-workers about the sleeve. Only told the few folks that I talk to at work that I'm on a major Quest to get & remain healthy thru healthy eating & exercising which is all they need to know. So I would really be ok with little to no attention about the weight at all.

I've gotten the gamut. At first, people kept telling me that my hair looked great in my new cut or color (which I hadn't gotten). I just smiled and said thank you. Then a guy at work told me I looked great without my glasses (I've never worn glasses to work). I just smiled and said thank you. I also had one person stop and say "something is different about you, but I can't put my finger on it!" I said I had lost weight, and it seemed that my saying it gave them permission to acknowledge it. And this is with 92 lbs down! People are funny!

LOL Beth, I love how you just thanked them for the inaccurate compliments about no glasses, new hairstyle etc! That is classic. :)

I travel a lot for work around multiple sites across the country. It means I see a lot of people and often there can be over a month between seeing them. This means that they always notice the change and I have just had to get used to it. I know now that my weight loss will be the first topic of discussion every time I return to a site. At my own office it is not so much a topic anymore except maybe when I wear something new and someone notices a change. At my head office, where I go at least fortnightly, it can be even worse as there are several hundred people in the building and sometimes I can get it two or three times in one journey in the lift from the ground to the 14th floor as different people who haven't seen me for a while get on and off!

I suck it up. There are certainly times when it feels like nails down a blackboard but I just smile, respond politely, and remind myself that these people mean well. I remind myself that they are complimenting me, encouraging me, supporting me, and celebrating me. It may get tiresome, but I take it. I smile, I say thank you, I tell them how much I have lost, I answer them that I am feeling great and then I guide the conversation back to them or back to the topic at hand.

I know it will pass as I get to goal and to maintenance phase. Well, maybe not pass but at least slow down a bit. Our communications people wanted to do a feature on me and the surgery for our company intranet, I said Hell No! Last thing I need is to attract more of it!

Most of my co-workers are happy for me. Some think that WLS is the "easy" way out. One guy that always greeted me with "hey hey hey" (if you're old enough, you'll remember that's from the Bill Cosby cartoon Fat Albert) is no longer greeting me at all (probably because he hurt his foot and has gained atleast 80 lbs in the past few months).

So, everyone is different. Still doesn't affect how I feel about me. OP: your supervisor is either not interested in your project or not interested in you. I don't know how you can fix that.

Most of my co-workers are happy for me. Some think that WLS is the "easy" way out. One guy that always greeted me with "hey hey hey" (if you're old enough, you'll remember that's from the Bill Cosby cartoon Fat Albert) is no longer greeting me at all (probably because he hurt his foot and has gained atleast 80 lbs in the past few months).

You're a stronger person than I am. I would soooooo be giving him his "hey hey hey" right back again; let him chew on that from the other end and see how he likes it. What a turdburglar. irked.gif

Most of my co-workers are happy for me. Some think that WLS is the "easy" way out. One guy that always greeted me with "hey hey hey" (if you're old enough' date=' you'll remember that's from the Bill Cosby cartoon Fat Albert) is no longer greeting me at all (probably because he hurt his foot and has gained atleast 80 lbs in the past few months).

So, everyone is different. Still doesn't affect how I feel about me. OP: your supervisor is either not interested in your project or not interested in you. I don't know how you can fix that.[/quote']

Karma is a BEOTCH LOLOLOL

On the other hand, I've lost 43 pounds and only one person who doesn't know about my surgery ( which is most people) has commented on it. Sigh.

That bites! It has to be noticeable. What is wrong with people!

I've gotten the gamut. At first' date=' people kept telling me that my hair looked great in my new cut or color (which I hadn't gotten). I just smiled and said thank you. Then a guy at work told me I looked great without my glasses (I've never worn glasses to work). I just smiled and said thank you. I also had one person stop and say "something is different about you, but I can't put my finger on it!" I said I had lost weight, and it seemed that my saying it gave them permission to acknowledge it. And this is with 92 lbs down! People are funny![/quote']

Last week I got 7 compliments about my hair color which I had not changed. :)