Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

woman died from stuffing her esophagus with food.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2159155/Obese-woman-suffocates-food-gastric-bypass-surgery-meant-couldn-t-fit-stomach.html

Holy crap, I just read this from last year. A woman had gastric bypass and was still eating too much and kq

So sad.

That is so sad! But I don't understand how that's possible. I mean after you have the surgery if you try to eat even just a little bit more than your body will allow you will start to feel symptoms of fullness and probably other symptoms that make you uncomfortable or cause pain. How or why would someone put themselves through that? especially knowing that this isn't advised once you get the surgery? I guess this is why doctors require all the appointments and tests. To make sure we are ready and to know what to expect.

What it sounds like happened is she was not chewing her food up. When you get to large of pieces it could back up. Why is the person getting this attention, she did this to herself. Why do you have to eat so fast. IS someone going to take your food away.

That is so sad and horrifying at the same time. As someone about to get a sleeve gastrectomy I worry that this too will be my end. Definitely something worth thinking about

Why is this person getting attention when she did it to herself?

As a warning to us that what you think couldn't be possible is? Because she was a human being who, irrespective of what others might think, didn't deserve to die like this?

Every one of us who has wls deserves respect and not to be judged. Some in the thin community have the same attitude - u did this to urself, so you don't deserve sympathy. Let's not do that to each other.

I know this article is a year old but it states that stretching the esophagus is a side effect or complication or whatever. I have never heard this before.

I think this is very sad but important illustration of how important it is to address the emotional issues around our weight. She hid the surgery from her family, telling them she had surgery for cancer and even telling her son that she actually had surgery on her legs. She was depressed and I expect ashamed. She didn't deal with the issues that were creating her obesity. If she could have managed to find strength to reach out for help from a therapist or her surgeon, this very sad occurrence may not have happened.

To me, the moral of this sad story is simply this: Don't be ashamed and don't hide. We have taken this proactive action to improve our health. And most importantly, ask for help if you are struggling. It's out there, we just have to ask.