Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I eat this post-op and when?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I know most ppl think about what they will and won't be able to eat post-op and alot of it is the less than healthy favs we might have but I have questions regarding healthier options.

*Spicy foods? Will I be able to eat them post-op? If not right away when? I LOVE spicy foods. In fact I am growing multiple jalapeno and habanero plants, because I love them so much. I know spicy can cause acid issues but are they intolerable? If I can't have spicy I think this is what I will miss most post-op :(

*Salads? I know salads are really against the rules but when I think protien first, then think about the fact that for several months post-op my sleeve will be the most restricted I wonder if I will have room for the greens? I am also growing several greens that I use in salads, but I could learn to accept this one knowing that eventually my sleeve will relax slightly allowing me a tiny salad on occasion but I am curious how far out it was before some of the post-op'ers were before they could enjoy a good salad without sacrificing precious protien space. I.e- when there you able to have a salad WITH a protien source and NOT end up eating only the protien because there was no room for the greens?

*In relation to the salad question- We are told protien first BUT protien is not the only nutrient we need. We need to get the Vitamins and nutrients provided in non-protien sources as well if the intent is truely to become healthier. How do YOU balance the need for protien with the need for the Vitamins and minerals not provided in protien sources with such a tiny place to put it in? I know we have to take vitamins but I'd like to have the bulk of my nutrition come from food not pills and since I have not yet been sleeved I don't yet know what i will be able to consume with a sleeve and protien first mantra. Many say they could only eat a couple bites of protien before becoming full, esp early on... where do the fruits and veggies fit in (pun intended)?

Thanks in advance :)

Kristie, I don't know all the answers to your questions, I am 2 1/2 months post op so I will give you my best conclusion. As far as "spicy foods", I don't see why you can't have them once you are cleared for all foods, the biggest problem you may have with that is that you can't drink when you eat, so I don't know if that would be a problem for you or not ( it would be for me! LOL)...As far as salad, again when you are cleared for regular foods you would be able to fit that into your diet..For example, today for lunch I had a salad with grilled chicken on it..So I got my Protein and some greens in as well..I will also eat vegetables with whatever protein I am having for dinner..Of course it isn't much that I'm eating, but I'm still getting a variety..So you will still be able to utilize your garden! Hope this helps alittle...Kari

I've seen a lot of people say salad became tolerable around 6 months.

Yeah, I was afraid to try it for the first time today being only 2 1/2 months out, but so far so good, don't wanna jinx myself though! LOL

I am 7 months out and was released to all foods at 6 weeks post op. I used to enjoy salad also but now I can only eat a few bites after the Protein. It does not pose a problem for me, it just does not taste the same anymore. I guess I get most of my Vitamins from pills. You could try eating most of your protein at 2 meals and Snacks and at lunch or dinner have a salad. I don't like spicy foods so I am no help there.

I can eat anything and everything without any problem at 12 weeks post-op and have since 6 weeks. Spicy foods don't bother me (although its different for each person). I make sure I get all my Protein. I've added Protein Tracker to my iPhone so I can keep up with how much protein I am getting every day. I have found the liquid whey protein bullets (Walmart) are terrific. I was having too much protein (I though 80-100 gms. per day after the first 6 weeks, but doctor told my husband (he had it 3 weeks after me) that we only need 60 gms of protein per day). So, I drink 1/2 of the bullet for 21 gms of protein and then get the remainder from my food. You would be surprised how quickly the protein adds up - a little here, a little there. I take Flintstones multi-Vitamin, citracal Vitamin D, and a Fiber advantage Gummy every day.

I am feeling great. More energy than I've had in a really long time (like 10-15 years ..., LOL!) I do take sips of liquid with my meal (very small ones). The doctor said I could to wash the food down if I had issues.

Hope this helps.

If my forehead isn't sweating, it probably isn't hot enough!!!! Spicy has never bothered me, as soon as I could start eating Beans, I was adding salsa/hot sauce. Salads have never bothered me, but I don't eat much, a few bites so I'll have plenty of room for 'the other stuff'. I got a beef fajita salad the other night when we went to eat Mexican food. I'd guess about 3 oz of meat, an oz of cheese a small scoop of guacamole...all on top of Romaine lettuce. I ate all the meat, cheese and guac....and a few pieces of the lettuce. I did not use Salad Dressing, I used the chip salsa. Very good!!!

If my forehead isn't sweating, it probably isn't hot enough!!!! Spicy has never bothered me, as soon as I could start eating Beans, I was adding salsa/hot sauce. Salads have never bothered me, but I don't eat much, a few bites so I'll have plenty of room for 'the other stuff'. I got a beef fajita salad the other night when we went to eat Mexican food. I'd guess about 3 oz of meat, an oz of cheese a small scoop of guacamole...all on top of Romaine lettuce. I ate all the meat, cheese and guac....and a few pieces of the lettuce. I did not use Salad Dressing, I used the chip salsa. Very good!!!

Thats sounds delish!! I may try to make that at home!!! Thanks for sharing! I really hope my sleeve is as compatible with my tastes as your's is! I kinda feel the same way about spicy! I HATE when you go out and order something with jalapeno's because your craving something spicy and you end up with whimpy peppers :( ruins the whole meal! I could still use my jalepeno plants if I can't handle spicy- I'd just have to wait until they turn red, lose thier heat and start getting sweet but if I wanted sweet I'd grow banna peppers lol. Thanks again!

I can eat anything and everything without any problem at 12 weeks post-op and have since 6 weeks. Spicy foods don't bother me (although its different for each person). I make sure I get all my Protein. I've added Protein Tracker to my iPhone so I can keep up with how much protein I am getting every day. I have found the liquid whey protein bullets (Walmart) are terrific. I was having too much protein (I though 80-100 gms. per day after the first 6 weeks, but doctor told my husband (he had it 3 weeks after me) that we only need 60 gms of protein per day). So, I drink 1/2 of the bullet for 21 gms of protein and then get the remainder from my food. You would be surprised how quickly the protein adds up - a little here, a little there. I take Flintstones multi-Vitamin, citracal Vitamin D, and a Fiber advantage Gummy every day.

I am feeling great. More energy than I've had in a really long time (like 10-15 years ..., LOL!) I do take sips of liquid with my meal (very small ones). The doctor said I could to wash the food down if I had issues.

Hope this helps.

I don't know what my reqs are yet. My mandatory seminar is on the 26th of this month and I prob won't see the nut until next month. I have tried those shot things and they don't agree with my pallet unfortuately but I have been lucky in the protien shake dept for the most part. I'm avg about 65g protien right now but have gotten as high as 174g before- depending alot on if and how many protien shakes I drink.So far today I only have 28g (2 meals, no shakes or Snacks so far today) so not doing great today, lol. Thanks for the input!

Thank you all for your replies! They have been very helpful!!!

Hey hun i am 19 weeks post op my sleeve is like steel unfortunetly there isnt a food ive found that will make me sick or even feel yucky :( so have to really keep a leash on my self control, spicy doesnt bother me in fact i used alot of hot sauce in my puree stage to help w the flavor, i currently have salads as a snack or a cut up veggie. So protien each meal a salad with either cheese or chicken in it for a snack not a huge bowl like 1-4 cup salad or a cucumber or celery w pb or peppers w hummus. Its way easier to get tge protien in now that i can eat about 4 oz at a time used to only be able to eat 1 oz! Everyone is different youll just need to test the waters.

Thats sounds delish!! I may try to make that at home!!! Thanks for sharing! I really hope my sleeve is as compatible with my tastes as your's is! I kinda feel the same way about spicy! I HATE when you go out and order something with jalapeno's because your craving something spicy and you end up with whimpy peppers :( ruins the whole meal! I could still use my jalepeno plants if I can't handle spicy- I'd just have to wait until they turn red, lose thier heat and start getting sweet but if I wanted sweet I'd grow banna peppers lol. Thanks again!

Now I wish we'd planted jalapenos this year. I love growing them!!! Everyone is different, but I really haven't heard anyone at the support groups talk about not being able to handle spicy. I'm optimistic that you'll use ALL your jalapenos. The ONLY things that I am careful with is rice and Pasta, very little, it is like both these things triple in my tummy. I'll make pasta and spaghetti sauce and not mix them. I'll measure out about a fourth cup of pasta and then add plenty of sauce to make sure I don't eat too much. Same with rice, just a little, not even a fourth cup, and I'm three years out. My taste for food hasn't changed, it's still fun....even though I am not hungry and I eat much less!!!

Now I wish we'd planted jalapenos this year. I love growing them!!! Everyone is different, but I really haven't heard anyone at the support groups talk about not being able to handle spicy. I'm optimistic that you'll use ALL your jalapenos. The ONLY things that I am careful with is rice and Pasta, very little, it is like both these things triple in my tummy. I'll make Pasta and spaghetti sauce and not mix them. I'll measure out about a fourth cup of pasta and then add plenty of sauce to make sure I don't eat too much. Same with rice, just a little, not even a fourth cup, and I'm three years out. My taste for food hasn't changed, it's still fun....even though I am not hungry and I eat much less!!!

Yeah, no pasta/bread will leave a void just cause I have ate them my entire life BUT will be much easier to cut out post op because pasta has always been a filler in our recipes. They are an inexpensive way to make a meal stretch to feed the masses lol, so with no hunger and less room to fill I don't imagine I'll need fillers to get full/satisfied. So giving them up will, hopefully, be easier. Not to mention the carb detox on the pre/post diets. :)

New whey = no way! ;)