Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My worst side effect was the "word loss." Basically it made it so when I talked' date=' i couldn't find the words to say. They'd be on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't remember the word. Or sometimes I'd just randomly stop talking in the middle of a sentence. Or, I'd be talking and the completely wrong words would come out even though I didn't mean to say them. It got to the point where I felt like I was coming across as stupid to people for my inability to communicate.[/quote']

I have that symptom from Hashimotos. The gabapentin has made it worse (I didn't think that was possible). The official word for it is dysnomia.

My doctor says I can continue taking it through surgey.

Hello everyone. I just started to take Topamax,since Wednesday. How long did it take for you all to start feeling the side effects? My doctor gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. Just curious!

Has anyone here taken the anti-convulsant gabapentin? Did you have to stop before surgery for a certain period of time?

I believe that this is what I take for neuropathy and I didn't have to stop taking it.

Hello everyone. I just started to take Topamax' date='since Wednesday. How long did it take for you all to start feeling the side effects? My doctor gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. Just curious![/quote']

I don't know what your dose is or anything and everyone is different. I felt the effects of topamax almost immediately. I have never seen it prescribed as a mood stabilizer? Seems like a bad fit of a drug for a mood stabilizer to me. It dulls, slows down your brain... Good luck with that.

Jamie

Is this "Neurontin"? If yes... I've never taken it but my dad did. He took mega doses...like 8 caps per day for neuropathy. He lost his insurance and the pills are very expensive. So he just STOPPED taking them. It was a disaster, had to call 911.

I think it's a drug you have to wean off of. Just an FYI for those taking it...you may want to ask abt this or look into it.

Is this "Neurontin"? If yes... I've never taken it but my dad did. He took mega doses...like 8 caps per day for neuropathy. He lost his insurance and the pills are very expensive. So he just STOPPED taking them. It was a disaster' date=' had to call 911.

I think it's a drug you have to wean off of. Just an FYI for those taking it...you may want to ask abt this or look into it.[/quote']

Yes, it's the same thing. It's an anti convulsant. You definitely have to wean off it. You can have seizures etc if you stop suddenly even if you've never had one.

Jamie

Im on gabapentin 600 1x day but i used to be on 1200 x3 a day...however i hope you wean off before surgery because apparently gabapentin combined with morphine or other major painkillers can cause serious issues..your not supposed to mix the two...i will be weaning off gabapentin just before surgery and will go back on it after im done with the painkillers

I took topamax for years for Migraines but couldn't tolerate the 'missing words' any longer. I am just starting it and on a low dose to try to decrease the severity and frequency of migraines. I'm about to get Botox shots around my neck and forehead too.

I discovered that the Topamax causes kidney stones and they built up fast and a large quantity in both kidneys. A very unpleasant lesson!

8/27/13 @ 52