Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise question for the VETS

I am just wondering, how many of you who have lost a significant amount of weight or have met your goal weight, did so by exercising? I'm curious if anyone has lost their weight without exercising? I've been trying to get some exercise in but just haven't been feeling motivated enough lately, I know it will help with my weight loss and I wish I could find the energy and motivation but I just don't have it right now..Thanks..

Exercise feels good and smoothes out your sillhouette, but as far as contributions to weight loss, in my experience it made no positive difference, I'm a slow-nonexistent loser whether I exercise like a fiend or lay like a slug on the couch. Wait, I take that back, exercising like crazy keeps me from gaining faster. that is all.

I am just wondering, how many of you who have lost a significant amount of weight or have met your goal weight, did so by exercising? I'm curious if anyone has lost their weight without exercising? I've been trying to get some exercise in but just haven't been feeling motivated enough lately, I know it will help with my weight loss and I wish I could find the energy and motivation but I just don't have it right now..Thanks..

I did not and do not "exercise". I can sprint up my stairs, I walk the mall and park as far out as I can, but as far as going to the gym. That is not me at all and I know it. I knew prior to surgery that I did not want 'exercise' to be a factor in me losing weight, because I know me, and I get bored. I have the attention span of a four year old. I didn't want to become an exercise guru, lose weight, get bored and then risk regaining. I instead chose to make lifestyle changes that I can do forever. It's worked for me but I am not here to "RECOMMEND" this to anybody, all I can do is tell you, with my tail tucked between my legs, I am a lazy bum, sort of. :)

Thanks for your input guys...I am a slow loser and didn't know if it is because I am not exercising enough..I take a kettlebell class once a week, but that's it..I know I feel better when I exercise, but the past 2 weeks I have had no motivation to do so..Just don't want to feel like I will never reach goal if I don't exercise all the time..thanks for the info..

I exercise and I exercised before WLS. I am not an exercise nut. I began exercising because I just couldn't take the weight off with Weight Watchers alone. I didn't lose any weight because of exercising pre-op, but I felt better. Before WLS and till I got to goal I worked with a trainer 2-3 days per week and walked twice a week. After I got to goal I quit working with the trainer and began taking exercise classes 2 days per week and walking two days per week. Now I'm walking four days per week, but I want to go back to taking an exercise class again this fall.

I exercise first thing in the morning. I simply will not do it later in the day.

Lynda

I've lost my weight without exercise. That is probably not ideal but the gym bores me to death. I tried it again recently and after two weeks I just could not go back. I will admit to feeling better after exercising (cardio and some weight training) but the sheer monotony of it drove me back out of the door.

I've lost 90 pounds in 5 months w out exercising I walked the weekend for a bit but I'm thinking I want to exercise I 25 more pounds to lose its getting hard to get this last weight off

I love my gym but before surgery I never was an exercise person. Now, I feel awful if I miss a day at the gym. It helps that I work out twice a week with a personal trainer and then also do a group boot camp twice a week. My gym runs a Biggest Loser program every 90 days and I join each time not because I want to lose anymore but because I like the accountability. The gym is great if you make friends and have the same goals.

What you eat contributes to 70-80% of weightloss, exercise is 30-20% of it. Ive lost 93 pounds so far with no exercise. This week is the first week I actually went to the gym 3 days and exercised for an hour on each day. I do however move around more than pre-op. My arms are getting flabby and I dont want to get an arm lift so I have to decided to work my but off at the gym lifting weights to avoid it! I have 45 pounds to lose I wish they were gone NOW! LOL were is the genie when you need him! :)

I exercise for my health. If I lose weight because of it, that's an added benefit. The more calories you burn, the better your body responds and the better it functions. I am a slow loser and work out almost every day. I wish it was different, but it is what it is. I do know that I am more healthy and probably would not feel nearly as good if I didn't work out. I find it fun and relaxing to get a good sweat going.

I am not sure if I count as a vet. My one year surgiversary was yesterday. I exercise 4 days per week, 2 days on the elliptical for 60 minutes, and a slow walk for 20 minutes and Zumba two days a week. I think exercise has contributed to the hardness of my body. I have really good muscle memory. I have always exercised on and off. I tried to commit to no more than 4 days per week but I love exercise especially cardio. When I am running I feel my body working and I feel amazing. This may be why I keep losing. I am working on eating higher calorie healthy foods and Snacks to offset the additional calories.

Please no one take this with any offense..but every time I see I have lost XX pounds without exercising I want to seriously like punch kittens!

/rant off

*Meow*

Heads up people, GIANT post!

I have not been a "sporty" person most of my life. I had periods where I went out dancing, or swim laps at a local gym. About 2 1/2 years before I got surgery, I noticed a slow decline in my health. I could hardly get off the couch without making old man noises. I could see my future, and It wasn't pretty.I was 55 years old. So I thought about what kind of movement I might actually like, because I knew from being alive for years already, I don't move unless I like it. I have a gym close by that is a rock climbing gym. I did this for a short time because my boyfriend/husband did, and it looks cool to see others do it. I thought, I'm going to that gym, and take a yoga class to start things out. Flexibility was attractive to me. I went into the gym with a friend, took a yoga class (sorry all), HATED IT, because it was too hard for me. I loved the gym though, all giant fake rock walls and cool townies climbing. I looked at the list of classes, and saw Bellydance. You heard it... they had a weekly bellydance class. I had taken bellydance in the 70s, for a few months, and I had always thought, "If I hadn't quite that class as soon as I did, I would know how to bellydance now! And I decided to go to the class and try it out. OK. I loved it. It was HARD, but I loved it. There was cool music, you could wear a skirt and jewelry while you exercised, and no shoes. The ladies were super nice. I made a committment then and there to go to class for 5 years and do at least one public performance. This last friday was my 5th year at bellydance, and I STILL love it. I even took some Tango lessons at the gym, and lately started weights. Around the same time I also started "co-teaching" a walking class at the day program I work at... so I get paid to walk 45-60 minutes twice a week with a group. Heres the thing, I don't feel like I can't get off the couch anymore. I butt-dance in my car when I drive if good music comes on....my body shape has changed s-l-o-w-l-y over the years, and when I lost the (now 71 pounds)weight you could actually see some muscles and shape underneath. I don't think the exercise was a huge factor in my weight loss, but it was a huge factor in feeling great and sexy and connected with my body.I found some things I like to do, I don't have to be good, just committed... and in the last couple of months I have added walking in nature, birdwatching, and taking photos as well. I go out to take photos and birdwatch, and I just happen to be walking at the same time and don't even realize I am exercising until I check my fitbit and see I have gone 2 miles and totally enjoyed myself AND got some practice with my new camera. Just saying, moving is a lovely part of life. I also like to move more because I can eat more when I do. I use my fitbit to track my output, and can eat a little more when I exercise a little more.... its even enough so Im not hungry, which happens to some of us after a few years(or even earlier than that) That is a motivator for me too. LONG POST, sorry if its tooooo long, but thats my story. 2 1/2 years out, lost 87- gained 22, lost 7.... still going to get to goal if possible. I have not gotten to goal yet... but happy and looking good!

Here is a pic of me and my little dog going out for a day of birdwatching on my 60th birthday last saturday... walked 3 miles and saw some fantastic nature! Find something you love to do that involves moving, and do it! Best of luck to you all!

post-3718-13813666798972_thumb.jpg

FYE,

Love your pic! I can't tell where that 19 lbs is going to come from. You look fabulous!

Lynda

FYE,

Love your pic! I can't tell where that 19 lbs is going to come from. You look fabulous!

Lynda

Your sweet! When I lose those 19 pounds I will be at the top of the "Normal" BMI for my hight. And no doubt I will lose it off my boobs and butt! ;)