Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok Ladies I need some help. I love love love love to shop! On a recent shopping trip for some necessities for my 2 boys I decided that I will pick up some items for my post-surgery weight loss. I was looking to buy some clothes from a size 24 down to a 16. Just a few items nothing serious. As I was skimming through the smaller sizes I could not wrap my mind around that I may possibly be in those size 20, 18, or 16 pants and found myself so stressed out that I said forget it and just purchased some summer items in my now size 24. Once I arrived home I was down in the dumps about not being able to wrap my mind around purchasing smaller clothing. Have any of you ladies ever had this happen? If so, how can I get past this?

Please inform me if I am jumping the gun on shopping as I will not be sleeved until Sept. 23.

Thanks for the advice,

Rashaun

I would wait! After you're sleeved, you change sizes so quickly, a pair of jeans can go from too tight one week to nearly falling off in two. I really shopped on the clearance rack for a very long time...

I would wait! After you're sleeved, you change sizes so quickly, a pair of jeans can go from too tight one week to nearly falling off in two. I really shopped on the clearance rack for a very long time...

Thank you for the suggestion. After the sleeve did you have issue with changing your shopping mindset from plus sizes to normal sizes?

I bought some items "in advance" and ended up not wearing them. They either were too big or didn't sit right with my body changes.

I started shopping "just in time" at Value Village and Goodwill stores. They always have a big selection, lot of sizes to try on and very cheap. When you're only wearing sizes for 4 weeks or so, it doesn't makes sense to buy new, even on the clearance rack!

As I started to slow down in my weight loss I found I would stay at a size for longer times and could purchase things in the next size down (if I found an item I liked at a good price). All the while though, I have only been shopping at these "used" clothing stores (though often the items are brand new with tags still on).

Once I'm at goal, I will build a brand new wardrobe with new clothes.

As to the "big girl thinking". I totally get you........

I am now a size 14, but started at a 26-28. Once I started wearing size 18s (and finding them too big half the time), my mind was WARPED. Really? I have been a plus size my entire life (43 yrs old now). I could only shop at 1 store in Canada (Penningtons). There are a few other plus size stores (Addition-Elle, etc.), but they usually only went up to a 22 or a 24, so out of my range.

Now I can shop ANYWHERE! It blows my mind. REALLY! I can even buy Levi's jeans (1st time in my life.....).

Give yourself some time dear. The biggest adjustment with this surgery is not on your body, it is on your mind. You will find the "new you" in body and mind over time.

Enjoy the ride. It's a blast.

Thank you for the suggestion. After the sleeve did you have issue with changing your shopping mindset from plus sizes to normal sizes?

I found it much easier to wrap my head around it when the smaller sizes I had just didn't fit any more. I don't see the loss in the mirror, but in pictures I can tell. You have just coined my new favorite phrase, Chubby Girl Mind. I had kept a few pair of jeans from about 12 - 13 years ago, the last time I lost any serious weight. Always hoping for the day they would fit again. I came across them about 3 weeks ago when clearing out my closet, I put them on and they were too big.

Getting our minds to stop seeing the old us is just going to take time. I actually find it easier to buy clothes on line, I don't have to hold up the item and think to myself "that is never getting past your knees"

I would hold off buying too much ahead of time, you really do drop the sizes quickly. I purchased "in between" clothes off ebay. Brand new with tags items and a fraction of the cost. You may be able to take advantage of some good clearance sales and stock up on some staples before hand. (I replaced every pair of panties 5 times now . ugh) My family all gave me gift cards toward a new wardrobe for my birthday and Christmas. Most fun gifts EVER!!

Good luck!!

I bought some items "in advance" and ended up not wearing them. They either were too big or didn't sit right with my body changes.

I started shopping "just in time" at Value Village and Goodwill stores. They always have a big selection, lot of sizes to try on and very cheap. When you're only wearing sizes for 4 weeks or so, it doesn't makes sense to buy new, even on the clearance rack!

As I started to slow down in my weight loss I found I would stay at a size for longer times and could purchase things in the next size down (if I found an item I liked at a good price). All the while though, I have only been shopping at these "used" clothing stores (though often the items are brand new with tags still on).

Once I'm at goal, I will build a brand new wardrobe with new clothes.

As to the "big girl thinking". I totally get you........

I am now a size 14, but started at a 26-28. Once I started wearing size 18s (and finding them too big half the time), my mind was WARPED. Really? I have been a plus size my entire life (43 yrs old now). I could only shop at 1 store in Canada (Penningtons). There are a few other plus size stores (Addition-Elle, etc.), but they usually only went up to a 22 or a 24, so out of my range.

Now I can shop ANYWHERE! It blows my mind. REALLY! I can even buy Levi's jeans (1st time in my life.....).

Give yourself some time dear. The biggest adjustment with this surgery is not on your body, it is on your mind. You will find the "new you" in body and mind over time.

Enjoy the ride. It's a blast.

Thanks for this advice. I will take my time. By the way I love thrift stores you always find some hidden gems there.

I would totally wait to buy clothes as you go down in size. Smart idea to buy summer clothes that fit for now. I waited a while before buying new cloths because I knew I would be not able to wear them for long. The one exception was my Levi jean and I was kicking myself when they were too big. :)

I found it much easier to wrap my head around it when the smaller sizes I had just didn't fit any more. I don't see the loss in the mirror, but in pictures I can tell. You have just coined my new favorite phrase, Chubby Girl Mind. I had kept a few pair of jeans from about 12 - 13 years ago, the last time I lost any serious weight. Always hoping for the day they would fit again. I came across them about 3 weeks ago when clearing out my closet, I put them on and they were too big.

Getting our minds to stop seeing the old us is just going to take time. I actually find it easier to buy clothes on line, I don't have to hold up the item and think to myself "that is never getting past your knees"

I would hold off buying too much ahead of time, you really do drop the sizes quickly. I purchased "in between" clothes off ebay. Brand new with tags items and a fraction of the cost. You may be able to take advantage of some good clearance sales and stock up on some staples before hand. (I replaced every pair of panties 5 times now . ugh) My family all gave me gift cards toward a new wardrobe for my birthday and Christmas. Most fun gifts EVER!!

Good luck!!

Thank you. I will continue working on my mindset. It is hard coming to terms with it. I have been chubby since middle school and this is quite an adjustment to prepare for.

DONT STRESS URSELF OUT . WAIT TIL IT HAPPENS, JUST THINK WHAT IF U GET THOSE 22 OR 20 AND U SLIP PAST IT WITHIN A WEEK. NOW UVE WASTED MONEY.

I would totally wait to buy clothes as you go down in size. Smart idea to buy summer clothes that fit for now. I waited a while before buying new cloths because I knew I would be not able to wear them for long. The one exception was my Levi jean and I was kicking myself when they were too big. :)

I can not wait to buy a pair of Levi Jeans. :D That is super exciting!

Thank you. I will continue working on my mindset. It is hard coming to terms with it. I have been chubby since middle school and this is quite an adjustment to prepare for.

I have been overweight my entire life. I have done every diet, fast, over the counter pill known to man... I have never felt that I had a grip on being able to lose and maintain. Any significant change is "hard" but in all honesty. I was so ready for this change that I don't feel I am sacrificing anything. I'm satisfied with my meal choices and servings.I could not be happier with my choice to go ahead with surgery. You'll do great, I can't wait to hear all about your great success!

DONT STRESS URSELF OUT . WAIT TIL IT HAPPENS, JUST THINK WHAT IF U GET THOSE 22 OR 20 AND U SLIP PAST IT WITHIN A WEEK. NOW UVE WASTED MONEY.

I love to shop but I do not like wasting money at all!!!

not being able to wrap my mind around purchasing smaller clothing.

Rashaun

I have this "magnet" in my body

i would drive by Taco Bell - and my car would immediately turn in to the drive in :o

whether i wanted to eat the food or not - of course i always "gave" in and sacrificed myself to yummy tacos

as i was losing weight - my "magnet" still drew me to the plus size area in the stores

it was mentally hard to realize i didn't need to shop their

it was also hard to believe to "push" myself into trying on smaller #'d clothes

i always reached for the large size, then a small size

always tried the larger size on first

now i try the smaller size on - and usually buy that!!!! :)

"maybe" jumping the gun alittle if you are buying clothes 3 months pre-op

thats ok though

maybe buy ONE special jean/certain size that you will look forward to wearing :)

even if/when you grow out of them - you will feel great that you were successful in getting to that smaller size :)

we alllll love clothes NSV's :)

happy shopping :)

good luck

kathy

Uhm, when I started I was a 24/26 pants and 2x top. After surgery the the sizes kinda just flew downward.. but let me tell ya it's great not to have to pay $50 bucks for a pair of pants in Lane Bryant!

I can shop anywhere! Clearance racks here I come!

I am currently a 12 pants m/L top and I have 30lbs to go!

I have a difficult time shopping. I LOVE it now, but I always grab the biggest size on the rack... I am constantly bringing XL shirts into the fitting room then asking my husband to find me a smaller size... It is just a habit I have to break, however there is nothing like the feeling of trying on clothing and having things be too big!