Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endometrial Ablation?

Hi all,

I am pre-op. My husband and I are actually meeting with the surgeon this week to sign our release and get our surgery date (he is having the bypass and I am having the Sleeve). Next week I have to get a uterine polyp removed (so thankful they fit me in rather than having to wait 6 weeks). I have another problem, my former GYN took me off of my birth control pills and suggested Mirena. She stopped practicing and now I have a new GYN who found the polyp, but she no longer does surgery so I have to go to another guy in her practice-so I don't know that I am really getting the right direction-because I have not been with these doctors long. I have read too many horror stories about Mirena so I am going to say no to it. The only issue I really have is the heavy periods, which started after I came off the pill. They Dr. said he does not think the polyp removal will cure it, and said I could consider Ablation. I am not sure what to do, I of course have read good and bad things about it and sort of have to make up my mind this week. I was also wondering if a D&C is something I could consider.

Can anyone who has had the Ablation or D&C tell me your experience? I am so nervous!! Thanks!

I just had the HTA & my sleeve done within a week of each other! Also I've had polyps removed before & helped greatly with the bleeding!

I had the Endometrial Ablation a couple of years ago and it was the best thing I ever did! Cured the problem right up and I had very light periods after that until they stopped completely. I actually had mine 3 days before Christmas - rested that day and was out shopping the next day. Like I said - best thing I ever did UNTIL I get my sleeve!

I had endometrial ablation done almost 4 years ago and I consider it the second best thing I did for my health. My sleeve recently passed it as the number one! :)

I bled most days of the month. Bad cramps was also an issue.The procedure in its self was easy. About 10 minutes. Twilight sleep, like when you have a colonoscopy. Had cramping for about 12 hours, pain med was all that was necessary and next morning felt fine.

I had bleeding/discharge for a few weeks and have not had a period since. When I had mine done, my GYN said after about 7 years or so, it may need to be repeated. I should be well into menopause by then.

I am so glad I did it. I consider it to be the best thing I did for myself in my 40's and my sleeve the best thing in my 50's so far!

You are welcome to PM me if you have questions you don't want to pose in the thread.

Good luck!

I had my ablation last April and is was very easy (no pain and back to regular activity the next day) and helped tremendously with heavy periods. I still have them but they are 5 days max and very light (regular tampon every 6-7 hours is only 1/2 used). It was a huge help for me as my periods were out of control heavy. Unfortunately, I still have to deal with some mild bloating and cramps but those are much easier to deal with than scary heavy periods. Good luck!

LOVED the ablation! My OB/GYN said she has a 95% patient satisfaction rating with it. It was about as invasive and involved as an endoscopy. I was back to work the next day but would recommend having it on a Thursday and going back to work on Monday. One drawback is that you can no longer sustain a pregnancy. When I researched it previously, the studies stated that women who had the ablation had a significant percentage reduction in having a subsequent hysterectomy. Your health situation is likely different than others here so it is always best to discuss your options with your physician. Feel free to reach out to me. I am happy to go into further detail. Best of luck!

I wanted to say thanks ladies for the replies. I am having my polyp removed tomorrow and I have decided to go with the ablation. I am hoping they can do everything tomorrow because of course it is that time of the month. The doctor said he could still do it provided it wasn't too heavy. I just don't want to have to postpone it since I did just get my surgery date for the sleeve and my husand got his for the bypass. Thanks again!!! :)

I has EA in april of 09 have not had a period or anything that resembles it since then .... If i started bleeding id prob freak out ... Lol

I hope your ablation went ok. I had a d&c and ablation done at the same time. I'm in the small percentage of women that still has a period and just as heavy as it was before.

I had my EA about 4 years ago. Best thing I ever did as well! I have the tiniest period every month but interestingly enough, still have the cramps! Good luck!!!

I hope your ablation went ok. I had a d&c and ablation done at the same time. I'm in the small percentage of women that still has a period and just as heavy as it was before.

Sorry to hear that Heather. It has gone well so far, I had it done on the 18th and still have very light discharge & rarely a little bit of bleeding. I went for my post op today and he told me the discharge could last up to a few more weeks. I won't know about my cycle for another week to 3 weeks because it was very often and heavy. The day of surgery I had it and I went home with pretty much no bleeding. I did have a d&c as well and a polyp removal. He told me if things didn't improve to come back and we could talk about other options. Have you talked to your dr. about other options? Sorry it didn't work for you!

I have to say the oblation was the best thing I have ever done. Before that it had been getting tubes tied. Unfortunately for the oblation, it is quickly getting pushed back to second by my beautiful new sleeve. I am 11 days post op and am so thrilled. So my new list of best things I've done --

Sleeve

Oblation

Tubes Tied

These all translate to some form of freedom for me. I was trapped or held back by something and these 3 things freed me. I would never want to go back and undo any of these....... Unless is meant doing them sooner.