Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy Glucose Test?

Just wondering, did anyone who had the sleeve have a Glucose Test done? Or what other options did your OB give you? I am not having that Glucose Test done because of the sleeve, so instead they have me doing weekly blood draws. What's everyone's experience?

I have had a glucose test since my sleeve (not pregnancy related though). It was not fun! It was the longest two hours! I could barely get down the liquid without crying and then I almost threw up several times and the nurse told me that if I threw up, that we would have to start all over again. Anyway, hope you dont have to take it. It was not pleasant at all!

Haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm not looking forward to it. Had a hard enough time doing it before being sleeved...can't imagine how aweful it will be this time around.

I'm not pregnant but plan to have another one next year when I'm 18mos out, but the Dr and NUT told me I wasn't able to have the glucose test done at all, they said there are other options and to talk to the ob/gyn about it.

I guess I should ask if there is a post surgery guideline for that at my next OB visit. My OB is saying I have to drink that nasty stuff twice this pregnancy because of my age... Yuck!!

There are other ways for us the get tested...the sugar load once we are sleeved is just too much for us to handle...it may cause serious vomiting! I will refuse the test thats for sure!

All you really need is to get the A1c blood test and get yourself a diabetes glucometer( insurance should cover it ask for an Rx) and test your blood sugar 4 times a day!

Ask for the

• The A1C test is a blood test that provides information about a person’s average levels of blood glucose, also called blood sugar, over the past 3 months.
  • The A1C test is based on the attachment of glucose to hemoglobin, the Protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen. Thus, the A1C test reflects the average of a person’s blood glucose levels over the past 3 months.

I'm soooo not looking forward to this. :(

I had no choice but to do it because I was in a remote location (Kyrgyzstan) during that part of my pregnancy. No hospital, no lab, no options!

The first time I got incredibly sick and dumped within fifteen minutes - just horrible. Vomiting and diarrhea followed by shakiness and feeling sick and nauseated for the rest of the day.

The second time they had me lie down and go more slowly. It was not comfortable but I napped through the test and woke up just for my finger pricks.

My sugars were ridiculously good. I was mad they even tested me.

However, having done the gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes thing, no way I wanted to be forced into testing my blood around the clock again just to avoid the glucose test.

There isn't really a guideline, but if you inform your OB of your surgery they will consider other options. Many OBs don't understand the sleeve - just tell them that in this case, at least, our bodies react to the sugar the way a bypass patient's would. They'll understand that, because they already do an alternate testing schedule for bypass patients (fasting draw, small meal, another draw, I think...something like that).

~Cheri

I was told today after throwing up the glucose drink and becoming very sick that I can do the "jelly bean" test instead. I sure hope that goes better. I don't feel so good.

So in conclusion for my own question, I am now 28 wks pregnant and I did not have to do the test where you drink that orange drink and what not. My OB said it just wasn't safe for me cause of having WLS. So she had me do one blood draw a week for 3 week straight and my sugar level was normal. Looks like we won't be continuing to check because everything looks good :)

You are lucky! That glucose drink was awful! The jelly bean test went fabulous though! I don't know why they just don't do that for everybody!

You are lucky! That glucose drink was awful! The jelly bean test went fabulous though! I don't know why they just don't do that for everybody!

Idk if I'm lucky or my OB is just more experience with WLS patients. But she knew about WLS restrictions and what not, and never mention the glucose test at all. She just told me I was not a candidate for that test. Which is awesome cause all these stories of the sugar level was scarring me. But glad you had a good jellybean test :)