Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

crushed medication postop

I am 2nd day postop. I opened my PPI capsule and placed the beads in an ounce of Water and i swallowed it down. I immediately became nauseas and spit up like a baby. Now I am afraid to do it again

Has anyone else had this kind of issue.

A nurse at the clinic suggested we break capsules in Jello. Maybe that would help?

Is it possible that you ppi is intended to be time-released? If so, I could see how the full dose being introduced directly to your stomach may have caused sickness

Same thing happened to me actually talked to my surgeon about it today. It's horrible, the taste is horrible can't do it. They recommend you get chewables but #1 concern is gettin fluids in so early on. Hope this helps!

Honestly, I couldn't do them crushed.. My doc said capsules where fine to take, and my one pill that is a solid he said to just break in half.. I have to take 2 of them a day so I just would take them 1/2 at a time 4 times a day for the first week then I was able to take them like normal after that.. Ask your doc for his advise, but I could NOT deal with crushed pills or open capsules at all.

Thanks for you all for replying. I am trying to not do anything that will cause me to vomit for this first month while I heal. I will talk to my doc.

I sprinkle my beads onto baby applesauce (Dr's suggestion) I put a tiny bit in the spoon and mix it with my finger and swallow that. At about 5 days post op I started taking that and a sip of Water it went down easier for me. Oh and don't miss a dose. I did and boy was my tummy mad!

I just drink it down w a sip of Water. I'm sorry you are having trouble with this!

I gave up crushing meds on day three and started taking the whole pill

I am having a terrible time taking the pills crushed. I take a few different medications, but the one that I MUST take is metformin. I crushed it, mixed it with light yogurt and started to puke. I don't know how to get thru this. I can take a nexium whole, that doesn't need to be crushed.

Ask for non time released tablets. You won't have to crush them too long, mine were small enough to take whole. I am 3 weeks out and am allowed to take pills that are any size again.