Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk me out of it!

I have decided that I want to have the vertical sleeve surgery, but now that I have, I think I am crazy! I mean I am changing my stomach forever and if I am not happy, I can't go back. But when I look for reasons online to NOT do it...I just cant find any...everyone seems to love it after the first year has gone by. I am scared to make this final. My husband says just call the doctor and make the appointment. Now I freaking myself out but I can NOT stay this heavy forever. I want to change while my children are young(9,9,5,6 months). Help!

I am right there with you. I have 4 kids and have my first appt July 10th.. I feel like it couldn't come fast enough. I have been searching for horror stories and regrets for days and the worst regret I can see is that they didn't do it sooner. I am so set on getting this procedure, but like you have a little bit of worry about losing part of my body.. we can do this right? what state do you live in?

Hello there, You are really going to have to do some soul searching and make a list of pros and cons. It's probably not a good idea doing it for the wrong reasons or because other people want you to do it. I do understand what you are going through and you have to find some quiet time to find what you person inside is telling you. Are you fed up with the way you feel? Have you exhausted all other options? What is the relationship to food in your environment ? And do you have a great support network? All these are things you should consider. For me it was a hard decision as well but when I looked at the list of options I had tried and the results I had gotten and all the risks involved of staying the way I am, I had to do it. For myself..... nobody... and nothing else.... because you know.... you are the one that is going to have to life with that decision forever! Good luck!

I am happy with my choice to have this surgery!

But with that said? Please let's not gloss over just how incredibly difficult the sleeve life can be for some. If you read this forum you will find plenty of people that regret it.

I don't relate to them because that's not me.

But they are out there.

Hi Goddardgo I am in Phoenix, Az...where are you? Neuanfang..if it were not for my flattened feet hurting me all the time, joints more painful as I gain, losing my breathe tying my shoes and having to ask my wonderful husband to do them for me..then I would be much happier with the way that I am. The final straw was having to ask for a belt extender on recent flights I took. Its just time but I am scared...what if it goes wrong? What if I am always hungry like usual but with a even tinier stomach?

Around the time I had my surgery, a forum member here passed away due to complications of DVT.. That's serious stuff.. There are several forum members who suffered serious complications, there are some who regret having the sleeve for emotional reasons. Personally, I'm thrilled with my sleeve and I would do it again in a heartbeat but I definitely felt the fears that you're having going into it. When I weighed the pros and cons and how obesity was impacting my life physically, it was a no brainer.

Best decision I ever made...and I was very against wls.

It's a choice you have to make for yourself and your health.. I'm not going to try to talk anyone out of a surgery that some feel is elective. I can tell you that on March 20th if I didn't have my surgery I probably wouldn't have lived more then another couple of decades at the rate I was going.. Since the surgery, I am almost 80 lbs down, blood pressure is normal, per-diabetic symptoms are gone, snoring is gone cholesterol is normal.

These are the factors in yourself that you need to think about.. The only thing I regret was not doing this years ago.

I am in Phoenix too.. well Avondale, but close enough :) I called the Arizona Weight Loss Institute and submitted my insurance infomation last Friday and they called me back yesterday and scheduled my first appointment over at Banner Estrella. Have you contacted anybody yet, or are you still in the "thinking about it" phase?

You can always go to the search forum and just type in complications or regrets. That will pull up a long list of people and their reason for regretting this surgery. I think it is very vital that everyone should read these so they will not be caught off gaurd after the surgery when they get buyers remorse (95%) of us get this.

The reason I got the sleeve was to help change my eating habits um my daughters eating habits and my wife was sleeved at the same time I was and are already seeing our little girl lose weight our home is healthier and I'm hoping we will both live longer God bless good luck

I was totally against it at first. It took me a few years to decide so take all the time you need. I feel like one day it just clicked and I was like, I don't want to live like this anymore. It's scary to know that you'll be undergoing surgery and risks and complication can arise. I'm 3 months out and I'm down 55 lbs. I feel great. I like myself more now that I'm becoming healthy and taking care of myself. I know I couldn't have reached this weight loss on my own. I have more energy now which makes exercising much easier. I don't dread going to the gym anymore. We can each tell you how well it works for us and how much we like it but you have to decide what will be best for you. Some don't like their sleeve because it is a lot of work. But for me, I think the work is worth it. Wouldn't change my sleeve for anything!

I have decided that I want to have the vertical sleeve surgery, but now that I have, I think I am crazy! I mean I am changing my stomach forever and if I am not happy, I can't go back. But when I look for reasons online to NOT do it...I just cant find any...everyone seems to love it after the first year has gone by. I am scared to make this final. My husband says just call the doctor and make the appointment. Now I freaking myself out but I can NOT stay this heavy forever. I want to change while my children are young(9,9,5,6 months). Help!

I think my first question would be, why do you hesitate? The surgery or life after the surgery?

I am ready for this, I know I am but just found out my insurance will not cover it. My husband works for a school district and they did not include it in the plan. So now the search begins for a reasonable self pay and yet still get a great dr. Thank you all!!!

I am ready for this, I know I am but just found out my insurance will not cover it. My husband works for a school district and they did not include it in the plan. So now the search begins for a reasonable self pay and yet still get a great dr. Thank you all!!!

I'm sorry about the insurance. :( How disappointing for you. Where there's a will, there's a way!!