Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full but Still Craving Sugar Help!

This board is amazing! I just found it after belonging to a smaller F/B page I am excited that I can get allot more info here because there are so many members and so much experience! I alsso joined OH!

About me, I have Medical Insurance but it left me with self pay as there was some kind of exclusion clause. (Bull@*&^@). So I started doing my research. In fact man I did a ton of it. I have had some blood clot issues and was very concerned that surgery in MX would be the last thing I ever did. I found a Surgeon in MX that made me rethink my fear..

You see I got blood clots that became embolisms because I did not walk or move enough after surgery. That is the blood develops clots somewhere usually in your legs and then they break loose and either land in your heart, brain, or lungs. Mine were in my lungs and after a week in the ER I went home to six months of blood thinning shots and pills with weekly blood tests!!!!

This Dr. made me feel that he totally understood my fear and assured me I would not have a repeat of this nightmare under his care. Yeah I know "they all say that"..

Well,, I got sleeved in early May and am down 25lbs so far and no clots!!!

Which brings me to my question and the main reason I joined up here.. I am very happy that it is working for me. I had a band and well that worked in the short term but...

Ok my question, I am not really all that hungry but I am freaked out by these damn SUGAR CRAVINGS!!!

I know it is all in my head but that doesn't matter I still want a pound of truffles or Hershey kisses or?

I make daily shakes with lots of Bananas, strawberries but as you already know it makes me too full! Any ideas? Help me out here, please.

Has anyone else used Dr. Juan? The Dr. Juan from Mexicali? I understand from other patients that Dr. Juan was a partner of a Dr. Aceves. I was able to get in on the Mexican Government's program.

They picked surgeons from various specialties and then they pay part of the surgery. I believe it has something to do with Mexico's Medical Tourism but I am not certain about that. I just couldn't pay the full price! IThe funds were not there..

So if someone is in need of some help paying for their surgery you should try Dr. Juan.

Well that's all for now thanks for listening to my story and I hope you can help with the sugar craving thingy.

Well there are two different solutions that come to mind. Number one being that carbs are addicting...don't eat any, and sooner or later you will stop craving them...or two, go ahead and have some. Just have a little and be done with it. I am almost two years out and I don't restrict myself from having anything. If I have a craving for something then I have it...just a little bit usually does the job, and then my brain and tummy are happy. If there is something that you really want then have it. It has worked for me...I have lost over 140 pounds and I feel great! I know if I tell myself that I can't have a certain food then I become obsessed with it and it drives me nuts. Good luck to you! :)

I"m not craving sugar nearly as bad but I definitely can tell when that time of the month is coming because even the sleeve doesn't take the sugar craving away :D I think what the PP said is nice. If you are at a point where you aren't as restricted then let yourself have a bite. I, personally, struggle with that because then I'm one that ends up saying it's just a bite .. every day ... so I just avoid it. :blink: Good luck!!

I love sweets too. I get my sugar fix by using Splenda to sweeten my non-fat greek yogurt. One of my fav ways to have it is topped with blueberries sweetened with Splenda. I also like a shake made of fat free greek yogurt, splash of OJ, couple of frozen strawberries, bigger splash of Water, and Splenda.

Other sweet treats that don't dent the diet include sugarfree hot apple cider mix, diet lipton green tea with citrus, soy milk heated with a splash of Torini caramel Syrup (also good with skim milk but I'm lactose intolerant post-op).

Early out, the Protein shakes satisfied my sweet tooth. My fav was GNC's Optimum Nutrition 100% whey Gold Standard in French vanilla Creme.

Lynda

Aria-I am curious about how you liked Dr. Juan. I am considering him for my sleeve surgery. How did everything go for you? Tell me the good, bad, and ugly, please.

As for the carb issue, if you focus on Protein and lower sugar fruit (strawberries are good) you will get through this. The first few weeks will be very difficult but once you get through them, you will not endure the carb cravings like you are now. I obviously have not had the sleeve yet, but have been following a low carb diet with varying degrees of sucess for the past two years and it does get better, I promise!

The sugar free popcicles work for me.

Have you tried mixing a little sugar free hot chocolate powder into a raspberry flavored yogurt? I've been doing it for years, kinda my way of having a chocolate-raspberry mousse.

I'm curious about the Mexican government sponsored program you mentioned. Can you give me more information about it?