Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tired of being lectured on here

And I might also add, that even when I was eating healthy ( Vegan for over a year) I still could never get under 190 pounds. I think there are a lot of factors when is comes to weight. OBESITY IS NOT A ONE SIZE FITS ALL. It is possible for two people to eat the same exact portions and food and one be heavier than the other.

I'm not sure the sleeve would work or be a helpful tool for someone who already eats very little and just has a slow metabolism. In that case, apparently restriction/calorie control, which the sleeve helps to provide, would not be your answer. If you already have limited calories, getting a sleeve will not help and if it's truly just a metabolic issue, perhaps a thyroid evaluation is in order.

I tried to do some research about what percentage of obese adults had obese parents but got nowhere. All I could find was that adolescent obesity becomes a bigger factor than genetics although that is still a factor.

http://www.urmc.roch...1&ContentID=713

I would guess that many on this forum had obesity in their genes. I did on my father's side. But I also ate like Pac Man smoking grass. :rolleyes:

I wonder if other weight-loss surgeries have the broad and seemingly-random range of doctor's advice. Probably so, since each doctor is bound to have a slightly different take on what matters most and how to get optimum results for each patient. It would be nice if there was only one set of The Directions with no deviations and no substitutions, but that just isn't realistic--apart from general commonalities, like "eat Protein first" and "make sure you get enough fluids".

When we each get our set of The Directions from our NUT and our surgeon, we tend to grab 'em and hang on like grim death. If Our Doctor said we need to stand on our head every day between 3:00p.m. and 3:06p.m., then get up and do the hokey pokey in Swahili, most of us would jump right to it and be confused when another WLS patient said THEY do the chicken dance while blindfolded and never stand on their head, but practice existential yoga poses at dawn for 22 minutes exactly.

We're so convinced that Our Doctor got The Directions right, that we can't help but look askance at someone else's set of do's and don'ts, if they aren't aligned with ours. It's not a character judgement, it's human nature. Most people don't mean any harm by it--they're trying to save you from following a flawed (in their eyes) set of The Directions. The trouble starts when we forget that "different" doesn't always mean "wrong".

Hang in there, and just keep doing what your doctor tells you. He/she is the doctor, not us! :)

I'm not sure the sleeve would work or be a helpful tool for someone who already eats very little and just has a slow metabolism. In that case' date=' apparently restriction/calorie control, which the sleeve helps to provide, would not be your answer. If you already have limited calories, getting a sleeve will not help and if it's truly just a metabolic issue, perhaps a thyroid evaluation is in order.[/quote']

Too late

I am really sick and tired of being lectured on this site...people assuming just because I was fat' date=' that I had an unhealthy relationship with food. Not everyone was like this! Pre op, I never ate to excess because when I was full I would stop eating. (I was on a low calorie lifestyle change and stuck with it for years...I stuck with it so I wouldn't gain weight) Fat people get this stereotype from those on the outside all the time (that we eat a lot)and I finally thought this was a place of non judgement. I am aware many on this site got the way they are because they ate a lot but not everyone. Same goes with exercising: people are lecturing that you have to make sure you exercise daily or else and half of these holier than now lectures haven't seen the inside of a gym until this year. Which isnt a problem because they have chosen to make a change but do not lecture others when you dont know their history. Finally...being lectured about my post op drinks. Everyone is given a list by their drs and are not supposed to stray away from that list. I was told 2oz 3x per day of boost, ensure, Atkins, slim fast, etc. I am constantly being told these are not healthy...and being read the nutrition facts..um I have it right in front of me and can read but honestly if my dr says to drink it I will.[/quote']

You do what your Dr say you can do. If these people on here were such experts on nutrition, guess what, they would be on this weight loss support forum. Let the talkers talk and haters hate. For whatever reason, they are still unhappy with themselves and have to pawn off on someone. Support groups/forums are "No Judgement Zones". We are here to HELP and CARRY each other thru a delicate time in our lives. This is one place where complete strangers can feel closer than family because of one main goal, to better our lives. Sweetie, to those that lecture and criticize on here, you just scroll right on past their posts. When God is doing something AWESOME in our lives, the devil always try to sneak in to steal the joy out of it. We are not here to be downed and defeated, we are here to uplift and encourage. You follow the outline your Dr wrote out for you. Just like we are all different, so are our Dr's. I'm happy for and proud of you for taking this step to improve your quality of life. Congrats to the awesomeness you've accomplished thus far and I pray for more awesomeness to come!!!! shake THESE HATERS OFF BOO!!!!! ✔????

I lost 20lbs in a week so it is working so far. I am not superhuman and couldn't eat less than 1200 per day but when I did I lost weight so I was in pure hell...my dr, nut and surgeon actually said I was the perfect candidate because I will eat less calories and when I get to goal and am maintaining I will be at my pre op calories which helped me maintain.

I would guess that many on this forum had obesity in their genes. I did on my father's side. But I also ate like Pac Man smoking grass. :rolleyes:

I will never see that game the same way again. rotfl.gif

Janice,

I hope you can find the support here you want. This forum has answered a zillion questions for me. You just have a very unique situation that we may not understand. But you have been very clear in answering the questions.

Good Luck!

WeeWers

Too late

Did you consider the lack of metabolic improvement from the sleeve before getting sleeved? Did anyone discuss with you the fact that getting sleeved doesn't really help your metabolism?

Well...The fact is we were all FAT. I can say for myself...I come from many generations of OBESE family members. One thing to remember on here is that none of us know each other personaly. It is only normal to assume you had some bad habits. I know that I did...there were foods that I didnt enjoy very often so when I did have them I would over induldge...but at the same time you would find me at the gym several times a week for the past several years. For me the more that I worked out the more I gained. So the best thing to realize is these people dont know you and they are only giving you information based on what they know to best answer the questions you have...if you dont like what they say just dont take their advice.

We are all here to learn and hopefully encourage...all our drs. give us different guidlines.

So you don't feel that you were overeating when compared to others but bottom line is that you were overeating? No lecture here' date=' I'm just curious how one might become overweight without eating calories than they burn daily.[/quote']

Believe me it made me depressed on a daily basis. Ok then I was overeating but didn't realize it until I started to care about my health and realize 1800-2000 calories while it works for almost everyone didnt work for me...but I assure you I was not overeating at 1200 calories per day.

Did you consider the lack of metabolic improvement from the sleeve before getting sleeved? Did anyone discuss with you the fact that getting sleeved doesn't really help your metabolism?

Why would that matter? If I lost weight at 1000 calories per day and I maintained at 1200-1400 then why can't I just stay under 1000 per day during weight loss period and go back up to 1200-1400 for the maintenence period? For me the sleeve was about not being hungry which I havent been in this last week and 1/2