Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CHEWING FOOD AND SPITTING IT OUT!

Hahaha thanks!

I would have answered earlier but my mouth was full. I spit it all out and all is well now. :ph34r:

I totally appreciate your honesty!

Wow....how in the world did I miss this thread when it first came out? I gotta give it a bump. Laura, I never chewed anything and spit it out.....but I did lick the seasoning off some wheat thins, and then my sweet lab mix ate the evidence. We both were happy....it was a win/win.

Wow....how in the world did I miss this thread when it first came out? I gotta give it a bump. Laura' date=' I never chewed anything and spit it out.....but I did lick the seasoning off some wheat thins, and then my sweet lab mix ate the evidence. We both were happy....it was a win/win.[/quote']

You know me butter...Two things you never want to get me started on, chewing and spitting and whats your bougie size! :P

Not good' date=' not good at all.... Please people don't do it, and please stop suggesting for other people to do it.

First, this behavior is the first steps of bulemia and getting into the habit of chewing food and spitting it out can lead to a very serious eating disorder. After WLS we are already dealing with changing the way we relate to food, so we want to instill good habits all along the way and avoid the bad ones as much as possible.

Second, there's a biological reason not to do this too. When you smell food and when it enters your mouth and you begin to chew, the body goes into Prep Mode to receive food. Your salivary glands produce saliva, your pancreas produces insulin, your liver produces gastric acid and your brain begins to calculate how much nutrition you're about to receive from the food you eat so it can keep track of it's daily needs/calories --- the body is a well tuned machine and it knows how to deal with food when it knows it's coming. But then you spit out the food. Your body still has excess saliva, insulin, gastric acid and it can't figure out why it didn't get the nutrition it thought it was going to get so the brain accountants go nuts.

Excess insulin in your body causes your appetite to increase so you'll eat more food to soak up all that extra hormone. Excess gastric acid in the stomach -- now released at the Y of your common channel -- can cause indigestion or heartburn or ulcers. And those brain accountants are now doing some creative math to recalculate the nutritional value of food because it thought it was going to get a certain number of calories, but none came, so next time you try to eat that same food the brain thinks you need twice as much to get the same nutrition as it thought it should have gotten last time.

So not only is the whole "chew and spit" habit a training ground for bulemia, it's also a way to tease your body into thinking it's getting food when it really isn't. Bulemia is a very serious illness and not something you want to play around with.

From the unknown sleever.[/quote']

Whoa. You're like...Dr. Laura. But not a crazy creepy Dr. Laura. ;)

My surgeon used an apple fritter...

At least you didn't have to spit it out!

Mine used a linguini noodle.

At least you didn't have to spit it out!

Mine used a linguini noodle.

Oooooooohhhhhhhh.....high GI carbs from day 1. If they want us to get in our Protein they ought to use a hollowed out Oscar Meyer Weiner.

Oooooooohhhhhhhh.....high GI carbs from day 1. If they want us to get in our Protein they ought to use a hollowed out Oscar Meyer Weiner.

And it expanded so now I have a stretched sleeve with no restriction!!!!

I thought a sleeve couldn't stretch....even one made from Japanese noodles.

Unless you eat Cheetos.

Urban legend. ;-)