Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buyer's remorse? 6 days post op

I was sleeved 5/28 and was discharged from the hospital yesterday. I ended up spending 2 extra nights because I was vomiting and having diaphragm spasms that made me regress back to an IV only source of liquids. So now I'm at home and this whole day I've managed to get about 8 oz of Water in and 30 g Protein. I'm so sooo afraid of vomiting again. When I drink it takes me an hour to drink an oz. My stomach is always rumbling and queasy. Is this hunger? Or is this a sign to slow down so I don't vomit? I'm so frustrated and scared. I can NOT go back to that awful hospital...

Oh My Gosh! I'm so sorry to hear you are having this difficulty. I haven't been sleeved yet so I can offer much in the way of advice but I wanted you to know someone is out here thinking of you and praying you get to feeling better soon.

Your stomach is healing from a major surgery and is going to let you know it. Go slow and hang in there. Once the swelling goes down and healing begins you will feel better about getting more in. Concentrate on your hydration is #1

My doc told me to concentrate on liquids the first week or so and not worry about Protein. Two weeks out and I still can't do both. My thoughts are that you are so full on protein, you don't have room for liquid. Try getting in some Water or Gatorade first, protein later. It's so important that you not get dehydrated or you will be back in the hospital.

It will get better just hang in there...just keep sip,sip very slow,and walking for the gas get Protein in you ....be good to your self If you are still getting sick call your DR and ask for something (RX)..

The loud gurgles will subside in a week or two. Take things slow. I am almost a month out from surgery. I am fortunate to have had no complications. Give your body time to heal. Keep yourself hydrated. You will be able to ingest more liquids as the days/weeks go by. I can say drink slowly and almost constantly.

We have all been there and it really does get better. As LipstickLady stated, my surgeon also wanted me to focus on liquids and then Proteins. Hang in there and good luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Just sip sip sip. Don't worry about Protein yet. I would stick with Water, Gatorade ,propel or something light like that. Maybe some broth. You are going to be sore from vomiting and surgery. I still get sore and I am almost 6months post surgery. Be strong but careful. Good Luck!

I agree that hydration is priority one over Protein. In the first 2 weeks post-op I was told to set my Protein goal to 30 gms... To strive for it, but don't beat myself up if I can't. After 30 became easy, I was to set my goal to 60 and know it will take time to be able to consistently do it. I'm 6 weeks out and still struggle to get in 60. I'm averaging about 40. So, don't focus on just protein right now. Like the earlier post said, sip, sip, sip.

The gurgling is just recovery noises that will dissipate with time. Take one bite. Put down the fork. Wait 3 minutes, take another bite.... Repeat. And LISTEN to what your body says in between bites. I find its a delayed reaction. I still have a bad habit of wanting to chow down three bites quickly. My body (I call her "Ethyl") will tell me, SLOW DOWN. Just listen carefully. Old habits die hard.

When you are more healed, you will be happy you did this. Just give yourself time.

I to havnt has the surgery yet, (18th) so im here for support for u as well. I have read post after post telling of experiences of fluids first and take your time slip, slip slip, and most important it will get better...hang in there and have faith that it will. Soon you will be on here coaching others like me though our time...

Every day you will see great improvements just keep your eye on your target!! GOD BLESS PRAYERS!!!!

hang in there, dear!

i had some hiccups that scared me so bad thinking i was gonna vomit and suffocate at the same time but just try to mentally just calm yourself down and breathe. just close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. maybe watch a Tai Chi or Yogic Breathing video on Youtube to help you learn how to centre yourself and breathe.

also use a tablespoon and a cup of Water and just every few moments just sip a tablespoon of Water. like take 10 breaths and drink the tablespoon of water. my first day home i barely drank but the next day i got a good 40oz down with the tablespoon method. just keep a cup in your lap and watch a TV show and just keep taking the tablespoons of cold water down.

i hope this helps!

feel better soon, ok?

So sorry to hear you are having a problem. I was sleeved May 17th And my first meal at the hospital was apple juice and a Popsicle . Since it worked so well. That's All I had for 4 days. And Water water water. I didn't start Protein per my doctor until day 8.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

I would stick with Water way before Protein. You don't want to land back in the hospital from dehydration. I don't think I got much protein in the first week or so and then it only went up a little bit the second week. It's like a full time job when you get home trying to balance the water/protein, watch the clock. I found it exhausting and very happy I'm done with that phase. I hope it all works out with little problems! Hang in there!

Great suggestion hourglass.

Sent from my iPad using VST