Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the Sleeve, but not new to WLS

I am a 35 year old sleever. I had a lapband when they were first FDA approved, in 2005. I did wonderful at first and then some other health concerns caused me to have it drained. Then I moved to FL from Chicago and since I didn't have a band doctor here, I left it empty. About 5 months ago I started getting sick, not really able to keep down real food, and was just uncomfortable all the time. I spoke to my GP and she stated that is sounded like reflux and started me on meds. No improvement. She then sent me to a GI doc, he did the scope, and said all looked fine. But I was still sick everyday. I went for a second opinion, and that GI doc referred me to Dr. Uchal at North Florida Surgeons. He had me come in for a barium swallow in front of him, and stated that my band had slipped. he submitted for a band removal and conversion to sleeve. The insurance stated that they could take up to a month to get me an answer. That was not going to work, by this time I was not keeping anything thicker than Water down. And I was dehydrating quickly, as even Water had to be consumed in sips. Dr. Uchal was amazing and called my insurance and requested an emergency phone review. After speaking to him, I was 100% approval. And was in surgery the very next day. Since I had already done the psych, and sleep study for the lapband I was able to skip those steps. I had also lost less than 50% of my excess weight. (like I said the band was empty for quite a while) Well I am now 3 weeks post-op and have lost 16 pounds. I feel amazing, I can keep tiny amounts of food down, and best of all I no longer have the pain and reflux that I had with my band. The down side I lost my job over having emergency surgery, so I am looking for a job now.

A bit about me, I have a daughter that will be 12 this summer. I am married, and have 2 crazy rescue dogs. My family all moved to Chicago at the same time and then 17 years later we all moved back to the Jacksonville Fl area. I was born and raised at Jax Beach, and love the way the salt air smells. I also love the way my feet sink into the sand. I could walk 5 miles on the beach and never realize that I have even left my "spot" lol. I always say there is something magical about the ocean, no matter how much we disturb the sand, the tide comes and makes it perfect again. I feel the same about my soul, no matter how upset, or disturbed I am, the ocean can make it perfect again.

I love to cook, and love to experiment with new foods and spices. I am raising a food snob, lol, she is not fond of processed, or "fake" foods. My hubby on the other hand will eat junk anytime.

When I was banded in Chicago I joined a group like this one and once a month we had a group that would meet and spend time with fellow wls patients. I hope to get something like that going in my area. My join date on here is 2005, I was a part of www.lapbandtalk.com. :)

I am a 35 year old sleever. I had a lapband when they were first FDA approved, in 2005. I did wonderful at first and then some other health concerns caused me to have it drained. Then I moved to FL from Chicago and since I didn't have a band doctor here, I left it empty. About 5 months ago I started getting sick, not really able to keep down real food, and was just uncomfortable all the time. I spoke to my GP and she stated that is sounded like reflux and started me on meds. No improvement. She then sent me to a GI doc, he did the scope, and said all looked fine. But I was still sick everyday. I went for a second opinion, and that GI doc referred me to Dr. Uchal at North Florida Surgeons. He had me come in for a barium swallow in front of him, and stated that my band had slipped. he submitted for a band removal and conversion to sleeve. The insurance stated that they could take up to a month to get me an answer. That was not going to work, by this time I was not keeping anything thicker than Water down. And I was dehydrating quickly, as even Water had to be consumed in sips. Dr. Uchal was amazing and called my insurance and requested an emergency phone review. After speaking to him, I was 100% approval. And was in surgery the very next day. Since I had already done the psych, and sleep study for the lapband I was able to skip those steps. I had also lost less than 50% of my excess weight. (like I said the band was empty for quite a while) Well I am now 3 weeks post-op and have lost 16 pounds. I feel amazing, I can keep tiny amounts of food down, and best of all I no longer have the pain and reflux that I had with my band. The down side I lost my job over having emergency surgery, so I am looking for a job now.

A bit about me, I have a daughter that will be 12 this summer. I am married, and have 2 crazy rescue dogs. My family all moved to Chicago at the same time and then 17 years later we all moved back to the Jacksonville Fl area. I was born and raised at Jax Beach, and love the way the salt air smells. I also love the way my feet sink into the sand. I could walk 5 miles on the beach and never realize that I have even left my "spot" lol. I always say there is something magical about the ocean, no matter how much we disturb the sand, the tide comes and makes it perfect again. I feel the same about my soul, no matter how upset, or disturbed I am, the ocean can make it perfect again.

I love to cook, and love to experiment with new foods and spices. I am raising a food snob, lol, she is not fond of processed, or "fake" foods. My hubby on the other hand will eat junk anytime.

When I was banded in Chicago I joined a group like this one and once a month we had a group that would meet and spend time with fellow wls patients. I hope to get something like that going in my area. My join date on here is 2005, I was a part of www.lapbandtalk.com. :)

Congrats on your journey! i just want to say that i dont think they can get away with firing you from your job, due to the FMLA (family medical leave act). Bad employer!

Congrats and welcome. Like me.. You'll be a lot happier with the sleeve.

The band was actually approved in the states in the early 2000's. I got mine in the fall of 2000 and joined lapbandtalk then. Wish I would have read all the complication posts first though. Hind sight is great though

Again.. Welcome to VST

I wanted 2 have the lap band but read & heard about so many complications & my doc said the sleeve would be best 4 me I was sleeved April 3rd & having so many regrets but its nothing I can do now cause its not reversible & I lost my Job 2 because I need a nap a day with low energy and my sleep schedule is now crazier than ever

Just wanted to say hi! I'm in Jax too and Dr. Uchal will be doing my surgery too. Waiting on my insurance approval then am good to go.

I wanted 2 have the lap band but read & heard about so many complications & my doc said the sleeve would be best 4 me I was sleeved April 3rd & having so many regrets but its nothing I can do now cause its not reversible & I lost my Job 2 because I need a nap a day with low energy and my sleep schedule is now crazier than ever

Why do you say you have regrets? I haven't been sleeved yet.

Why do you say you have regrets? I haven't been sleeved yet.

The things I noted in my post & the hair lost