Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret telling people at work

Its funny you should say this read my Name lol. I made the choice to keep it to myself after hearing my co-workers speak poorly of others at my job who have had it done. I ONLY told 3 people in this whole world my Fiance My mother and my brother who all stood by my side from the day of surgery until today, I was sleeved 12/6/12 and Am down 82 pounds. I have not told any other family members or even my best friend.. I REFUSE to be judged on a life choice I made. I feel left out when it comes to our sleeved community because we have a lot of positive support and things going on that I'm left out of because I made the choice to keep it a secret and that's how it will remain. Its sad that I allowed closed minded folks to make this choice for me but it is what it is and will remain this way! Despite that this is the best decision I have ever made and I have no regrets! I am also very happy I decided to keep it to myself even though people suspect I had it done they will NEVER get a conformation from me! I am only a few pounds away from my goal I'm hoping that no later then August I will see it!

Live your life as you see fit. Haters hate no matter what the issue is. So do you and rock the hell out of that sleeve! Best of luck ;)

But when woman get boob jobs they're practically applauded! Nothing ago an boob jobs.....really. I think there's a stigma or something. I've chosen not to tell anyone for my personal reasons. I'm a private person and I don't like people in my business. But I don't lie easily either so when the weight starts coming off I will reply " its medically supervised and I have a personal trainer". No lie there! Its human nature to be afraid of things we don't understand and most people simply don't understand obesity unless they're living it, therefore you receive negative feedback from some people. (Not everyone) Good luck to all of you! Keep up the good HARD work!! Man I wanna punch people when they say "easy way out"!

I understand completely that's why no one knows except my parents, siblings and inlaws! They are not to tell anyone! I was always thin and for the past 5 years I put on 100lbs from 130 all my life till I was 24 after the birth of my 2nd child I just blew up. Now everyday if my life I have family plus random ppl tell me how beautiful I was and my jlo body ( cuz I'm Puerto Rican) lol is ruined! I've never imagine how cruel ppl can be till you put on weight! I could never go up to someone and blatantly be disrespectful or ignorant about personal issues, however u will meet them. I don't want anyone coming up to me telling me that I took the short cut or asking questions it's none of their business's!!! So to all of us we should proud of our selfs and our journey!!!

I know what you mean.. for the most part.. the nurses I work with at the hospital have been very supportive of my surgery..and some have inquired themselves into surgery for them.. but.. at my morning job.. most are very happy for me and tell me how great I look.. but there is one nurse there.. Im sure she means well.. she is over weight and chooses to do it naturally.. (lose wt). but it seems like she always has to tell me when she sees me that she will not have surgery to lose wt.. (not like ive asked to have surgery either) she always says.. least I didnt have surgery to lose weight. welll.. really? guess what.. Im down 94lbs..and you are what.. hmmmm 3mo and down.. 5lbs? really? well good for you. Im happy for you.. why cant you be happy for me? cuz you are way Jealous of how I look now.. fabulous.. thats what every one says.. and she looks? well lets face it.. 5lbs is not much.. she looks the same. I just smile and say good job.. way to go and keep it up.. and smile. LOL YaY us losers LOL.. keep it up.. .we ROCK!!

I wish there was a "double like" button. This is so funny. I'm a nurse in the OR & was inspired to get this done by a nurse I work with--she's doing amazing! I told a handful of people at work that I was going to get it done. Wish I had not. However, my fiancé and I have decided to go to Mexico to have it done as his insurance doesn't cover bariatrics; mine does. I was worried about coworkers seeing me naked, getting a catheter and having people talk about me behind my back. This is the most caddy place I've ever worked.

I'm willing to self-pay to avoid these issues. I'm taking a month off of work so some might remember that I mentioned the surgery months ago & put 2&2 together, but nothing I can do about that.

There's always been surgeons who comment on how fat a patient is, but one evening I went to a room to get another nurse out to go home, and mentioned that the RN who had the sleeve hadn't eaten dinner yet. The surgeon made fun of her and said "well she can only eat a teeny tiny bit" in his snide voice. I snapped back at him and said "at least she's doing something about it". He tried to back pedal. Too late ass!!! Glad I'm going to Mexico.

Wow mcm! Wow! People really are cruel. But like I said, if a nurse (or any co-worker) came in with her new "enhancements" there would be no such judgment. If I were in your position I would do the same thing. Good luck on your surgery to you and your fiance.

Its funny you should say this read my Name lol. I made the choice to keep it to myself after hearing my co-workers speak poorly of others at my job who have had it done. I ONLY told 3 people in this whole world my Fiance My mother and my brother who all stood by my side from the day of surgery until today' date=' I was sleeved 12/6/12 and Am down 82 pounds. I have not told any other family members or even my best friend.. I REFUSE to be judged on a life choice I made. I feel left out when it comes to our sleeved community because we have a lot of positive support and things going on that I'm left out of because I made the choice to keep it a secret and that's how it will remain. Its sad that I allowed closed minded folks to make this choice for me but it is what it is and will remain this way! Despite that this is the best decision I have ever made and I have no regrets! I am also very happy I decided to keep it to myself even though people suspect I had it done they will NEVER get a conformation from me! I am only a few pounds away from my goal I'm hoping that no later then August I will see it![/quote']

^^^^^^thisssss!!!! I feel ya!!!!

I hate it when people use the terms- "to lose it naturally or with surgery". Even folks who had surgery talk like that. This surgery does not control the food you buy or the food that your hand brings to your mouth. I have lost 94 pounds by getting a grip on my mental attitude towards food naturally. The surgery has helped tremendously by only allowing me to eat small amounts of food.. I am so happy I kept this surgery to myself and did not feel the need to advertise my business. I really hope that people that have not had surgery read this post and learn a good lesson. Keep your weight your own business. Nobody needs to know anything.

I totally agree! Only my fiancé knows. I haven't shared it with any of my family, friends or coworkers. I don't need the negativity or judgmental behavior I have seen against others.

I was so excited for my surgery and I've pretty much told everyone in my life including co-workers about it. My family has been great, but some of my co-workers have been shady. I've even had a few try to tell me that WLS is cosmetic! As if. Now I am not one who cares too much about what others think. But it's super annoying. half of the reason I shared is because 75% of the women I work with are overweight themselves and perhaps hearing my story would inspire them. Instead they hate. Well they will really hate me a year from now when I'm a size 8. Ha.

highest weight = 228 DOS = 219 CW = 203 DOS was May 7th 2013

Well, being big or being small, you are going to have haters....I didnt tell but 3...yes 3 people at work and swore them not to tell, and I can say that they didnt, they let me tell me when I was ready....when some of my co-workers found out most were supportive, some were supportive but threw their jabs in comments every now and then....my response to them is I laugh, I dont get annoyed by them, because if the tables were turned I probably be alittle "j" too....

But I tell everyone who has a negative or "hater" comment about my WLS....if you can go through what I went through at 339 pounds, and be successful then I will listen to you, until then what you say doesnt matter to me.....

Excuse me while I rant: what is this nonsense about "losing weight the natural way?" Every pound I have lost has been lost through my hard work. The surgery didn't remove any weight ( well other than about 2 lbs of my stomach). It's not like they hooked up a vacuum and sucked out the weight.

My weight was lost by sticking to a 2&1/2 week complete liquid pre-op diet. It was done by following my doctor's post-op diet (mostly) to the letter. It was sweated off in daily exercise sessions. It was lost by resisting the urges to indulge in slider foods, wheat and sugar.

What is "the natural way?" Is it taking dangerous prescription drugs (been there)? Is it reading 100s of diet books? Is it numerous counseling, and weight loss group sessions? Is it starting a new diet every Monday morning, then admitting failure by Tuesday? Is it yoyo dieting, losing 10 lbs, then regaining 20; losing 30, regaining 40, and on and on?

VSG is a TOOL. Like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem is a tool. No one looks down their noses at those tools. Why do we put up with people looking down their noses at our tool?

End of rant . . . well, for now.

Many folks employ the pre-adolescent level tactic of elevating themselves by lowering everyone else. Many people see the stupidity of this illusion and by age 13 cease to employ it. Others refine it to an art and end up in politics. <_<

you sound like an author...love your posts