Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc changed our hospital b/c other hospital equipment is "broken and sub-par"

Hi all,

My husband is having surgery tomorrow and it was suppossed to be at Mi Doctor. We requested Mi Doctor specicifially because I had such a great experience there last August. They just changed us last minute over to florence because they said that the laproscopic equipment at Mi Doctor is sub-par and not working properly. Since I always sing the praises of Mi Doctor, I thought it was only fair to share this news too, so people can do their homework. I know there were quite a few people trying to decide between the 2 hospitals so I thought this might factor into any decisions. We are sad about switching because I really loved the care I got at Mi Doctor, but happy that my husband will be safe. But on the brightside, Dr. Kelly was really awesome about the switch and did not charge us the $500 extra to be at florence.< /p>

Anyone else's docs switch hospitals lately for this reason?

I don't mean to cause any chaos and I would definitely do more research on it if I were you (you know how easily rumors spread), but I felt like its a piece of info I would want to check into if I was scheduled there.

I second that! My surgery is June 17 at Mi Doctor' date=' guess I better check with a lighter me and find out what's up....[/quote']

Let us know what is said. I am having surgery there in a little over a week!

I am there June 17th also. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

I'm scheduled there on Friday! Has anyone else checked into this or heard anything. I will contact Ronda today but since it's Sunday, probably will not here anything until tomorrow. So if anyone has heard anything else about this please post and let us know.

Call the hospital.. They'll tell you the noted reason why the dr is no longer practicing at a specific hospital. It's not a confidential issue.

Call the hospital.. They'll tell you the noted reason why the dr is no longer practicing at a specific hospital. It's not a confidential issue.

Okay, I'll do that. Thanks.

I did contact my coordinator and basically this sounds like a business decision by a doctor. I do not think anything is wrong with this hospital. This is big business for these doctors and hospitals. If there was a problem, it would be taken care of. Patients should not be put in the middle of squabbles between rival companies and hospitals but I fear that is what is happening here. I would reprint what my coordinator emailed me but I think they say what puts them in a better light against their competition. I just think it has very little to do with us patients. I know I have confidence in the decision I made to use Mi hospital and Dr. Lopez.< /p>

Same here. It's interesting information but I trust Lopez :)

After Dr. Kelly being upset with the staff at florence too and canceling his future surgeries there while we were there, I don't believe this was about Mi Doctor. I believe that is just what we were told. In my honest opinion, I believe Dr. Kelly is extremely picky about how he wants things and has very high standards (almost too high for MX) and I believe this leads to him being a hard surgeon for the staff to please (which you could see as a good or bad thing). Personally, I love for my surgeon to be a perfectionist but I would NOT want to work for him ha ha.

Bottom line: I had surgery at Mi Doc in Aug and liked it. My hubby just had surgery at Florence and we liked it too. I honestly believe you will receive great care in either facility. I did not mean to feed into any rivalry or competition I was going by what the coordinator told us and felt like I owed it to VST to share the information. Glad everything is ok at Mi Doctor!