Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking During Eating

How many of you drink when you eat?

I was told by my doc not to - 30 min. before, during, or 30 min. after meals. Why is this? I cannot seem to kick the habit!!!!!

How many of you drink when you eat?

I was told by my doc not to - 30 min. before, during, or 30 min. after meals. Why is this? I cannot seem to kick the habit!!!!!

It's because drinking with a meal will wash the food right past the band, defeating it's purpose. I was told I could drink right up until I start to eat, then wait about an hour after.

I've learned to not order anything but Water with my meals out. Less tempting then having a glass of wine there, and better for me then chugging said wine before I eat! :faint:

I eat occassionally with meals. I find that even though I am eating such a small amount of food it helps me to get it down. I don't overstuff the pounch, I just sip if I need to. Good luck.

I have always said this and I stick to it... If you have proper restriction you should not be able to sip with your meals. If I were to take a sip of anything while eating I would be in mucho physical pain. It makes my food come back up if I try to drink while eating.

Just don't do it :girl_hug:

Here's a very vivid description I picked up along the way:

Imagine your stomach as an hourglass shape with the pouch more like a funnel so to speak. You put solid food in there that's well-chewed. Now, you put a liquid in there. You will literally turn your well-chewed food into a slurry and wash it down the funnel so that your pouch is no longer full. Therefore, you will no longer feel satisfied and feel the need to eat again, sooner.

There's also the theory that you shouldn't be able to introduce liquids with proper restriction. I've heard of some bandsters experiencing terrible pain when they drink with their meal. It would be a strong deterrant if it worked like that for all, but I don't think it does. Most just sort of flush it down, then they say they can eat more. In fact, at a support meeting I went to one bandster admitted that if she was dining out she'd purposely sip Water so she could finish her entire meal. :faint:

I can honestly say I can count on one hand how many times I have had something to drink with my meals since banding-and still have fingers left over! Flushing out the food defeats the purpose of the band, to make me feel full/satisfied for longer periods of time.

I am beginning to see some logic to the "30 minutes before" rule, too.

Here is my PERSONAL experience.

When I haven't eaten for 3-4 hours - all the parts below my pouch and pretty much empty. If I put anything in there - it sends up a gas reaction = the gas pushes back - which forces me to slow down my eating.

If I have had a bunch of Water prior to eating, I don't get this same reaction - the water cleared it out - and I can eat more. I have experienced this on several occassions. I drink a liter of water in the car on my way home from work. If my husband has dinner on the table when I walk in - I can almost always eat more than if I have to wait for a bit for him to cook.

Just a thought.

I drink when I want to and its usually pretty soon after a meal. Far from washing the food through while I'm eating, drinking at the same time of eating is the one thing guaranteed to almost make me PB. It blocks me up badly.

I think I probably do get hungrier sooner than if I didnt drink so soon after a meal (I usually want a coffee fairly soon after lunch) but really, I'm almost at goal weight so who cares? Its worked for me so far, lol.

Thank you so much for everyone's support. I am going to try my hardest to wean myself off of drinking during/after meals. It is hard since I have been a "sipper" my whole life, but that is my new years resolution!!

Happy Holidays everyone!!

It was VERY hard for me to get it through my head to not drink while I eat. I was so obsessed about it that my neice and nephew caught on to me not doing it and they refused to drink when eating as well. (OOPS!) When I was going through my no-restriction phase when I had my leak, I would sip a bit while eating just to wet my mouth. Since my replacement surgery and proper restriction, no way, no how could I drink ANYTHING until at least 30 minutes after I eat. I would be in instant pain if I did.

Peace.