Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i want to be banded but have alot of ?s

i really want to be banded but dont know where to start. I will list all my questions...

*is there a health insurance company that covers the lap band most of the time?

* is it safe to have it done in Mexico?

* if i choose to pay with out insurance what is a round about cost?

those are my questions so far. if there is anything else you think i should know please let me know.

5'5

220 lbs

bmi 36.1

Hi jenna_renee2003

I cant help you with your questions as I had my lapband done in Australia but i just wanted to say hi and welcome to Lapband Talk I am sure someone who can help will respond shortly. Best wishes on your research. keep us posted.

:) becky

*is there a health insurance company that covers the lap band most of the time? My insurance is United Health Care. It was covered thru them.

* is it safe to have it done in mexico? For me it is not safe. That is something I would not be comfortable doing. For after care reasons and for my own personal reasons I would not choose Mexico.

* if i choose to pay with out insurance what is a round about cost? For my Dr. in the US it would be $15,000 for self pay patients. He is located in Houston.

Feel free to ask any more questions. As a side note there are some very successful people that used Dr.'s in Mexico, but that was not a choice for me. Best of luck to you!

*is there a health insurance company that covers the lap band most of the time? I have heard of several, mine however does not cover it.

* is it safe to have it done in Mexico? Depends on who you ask. It wasn't an option for me... no way no how. Other have had great success though.

* if i choose to pay with out insurance what is a round about cost?

I was self pay and paid $9950.00

*is there a health insurance company that covers the lap band most of the time? I have UHC Choice Plus and was approved in about 2 1/2 weeks. You have to make sure your employer doesn't have an exclusion on weight loss surgery, many do. It is up to your employer whether they choose to allow the WLS. So you should call your insurnace and ask if they cover CPT code 43770. UHC required a BMI of 40 or above, no exceptions. So make sure you ask your insurance what criteria is needed to be approved, and then get the name and badge number, ext. etc of the person you talked to for future reference. It may or may not be needed.

* is it safe to have it done in Mexico? I've heard a lot of good experiences, but I've also heard some bad. So do your research on the doctor, not just Mexico in general.

* if i choose to pay with out insurance what is a round about cost? My doctors charge is about $15,000 - $20,0000.

*is there a health insurance company that covers the lap band most of the time? I have BCBS of TX, and it says it is covered, but I tried, and was denied twice. They required a years medically supervised weight loss plan. I did it for 10 1/2 months, and was in a car accident. They were going to make me start over after my surgery from the accident--totally ignoring the 10 1/2 months I already did. I ended up self paying.

* is it safe to have it done in mexico? I did go to Mexico. I went where friends had already gone and had it done. It was a wonderful experience. I did careful research prior to going, and had several aftercare options set into motion before going. I met with my aftercare Dr. prior to surgery. I have seen him several times, we have both spoke to the surgeon since surgery, all has gone well.

*if i choose to pay with out insurance what is a round about cost? It will depend on where you go. Prices range from low to high. Cost does not seem dependent on experience. I personally paid in the neighborhood of $8000.00. There were other Dr.'s in MX cheaper, but I had personal friends who had usedthis Dr. and his number of bands done was quite high. And all the research I did on him, come back good.

Good luck making your decision, without a doubt it was the best thing I have ever done just for me!

Kat

Welcome!

My insurance company (Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of VA) are a bunch of scrooges--they wouldn't pay! :angry

My surgery cost $16,250 self-pay. I paid an additional $500 for as many "fills" as I need (to restrict the opening from the small stomach pouch).

I hope everything works out for you! Good luck!