Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Incision possibly infected?!?

I was sleeved 5/13/13 and I have done GREAT! I shower daily and wash all incisions as they told me to do. I noticed today that one area may be infected. Has anyone had to deal with an infection with their incisions and how do they treat it? I live two hours away from my doctor and return to work Monday. I don't have time to take off to go see him.

post-50966-1381366594684_thumb.jpg

Call your surgeon and see how they tell you to treat it.

What about your primary care physician? He/she may be willing to see you.

Hi Shell,

two of my incisions got infected a week after my surgery (1/21/13). They were warm to the touch and a lot redder than yours. I also had drainage (a lot of fluid). Are you using an antibacterial soap to wash ? You really should get to your pcp to have them inspect and do a culture to determine if it is fact infected. Mine was a staff infection and I was treated with Bactrim a Cepheloxen (sp?)

The earlier the treatment, the quicker it goes away. Took mine about three weeks to clear up. It's been four months now and I'm happy as a clam! Down 74 lbs.!!

-Alan

That does appear to be infected. Call your surgeon and they can call an antibiotic into the pharmacy for you.

dear look for signs of infection which are

*locally at the incision: hottness, redness, tenderness, discharge, loss your abdominal movement

*generally you may have fever

*blood picture: leucocytosis(increase white blood cells)

Notime, if those were my incisions, I don't think I'd be too worried. The redness is just right around the incision edges, where it does look like they've opened a bit. But nothing bad! In my opinion, of course...not a doctor or anything. But I've had something like 7 surgeries now, including a Tummy Tuck from hip bone to hip bone. I'm used to seeing incisions that are in the process of healing. ;)

Pick up some triple antibiotic ointment at the store, put some on the 2 spots and cover with a Band-Aid. I bet it looks better in a day or two.

Of course, if you start running a temp, that's a different story, but for incisions, after they've opened a bit, they need to heal from the inside out...plus, you have internal sutures holding things together.

you can take antibiotic + antiinflamatory from pharmacy

if you are diabitic take your medicine regularly

if you ara not do blood glucose for check up

I emailed my doctor the pic and they said I am fine. They said the glue came off early and that's why it looks the way it does. They said the "puss" looking stuff is what they call fluff and my body is healing. They said not to worry unless it becomes warm to touch and drainage can be wiped away.

They are not red but I will still keep an eye on them. I would also try to keep them dry hit em with the hair dryer for a little bit when you get out of the shower also it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to put a little triple antibiotic ointment on them.

Mine got similar and my sis (a dr) said the tissue was granulated but they were fine. Just make sure it dosent get hot feeling