Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would like to share a happy story. I am 5 weeks post op and went out to eat for the first time as I am now allowed to eat almost anything. I went to Panera and got the pick two (brocolli cheddar Soup and strawberry poppyseed salad). I was a bit scared so I slowly ate half the brocolli cheddar soup and had no problem. I had a few bites of the baguette and no problem. Maybe I can be normal. I took the salad home and had half and it was delicious. I was so happy that I was able to eat a normal meal (although much less than I would normally eat) and feel happy to go out with friends again. My sleeve is working for me. I have lost 32 lbs since my pre op diet started 7 weeks ago. I haven't lost as fast as some people but it has been steady and I am 60 yrs old. I am happy I had the sleeve surgery.

Good for you! I am 4 weeks out and went to Panera also. My boyfriend and I shared the pick two. I had a couple of sips of Soup, and then the chicken and egg off the cobb salad. It felt great to go out and enjoy lunch!!!

Have you heard of the Panera bread "secret menu?" This was rolled out to all locations in January 2013. You just need to ask about it at the register as you will not find any of the items on the visible menu. All hidden menu item are " healthy" in the sense they are low carb, high Protein and, in my opinion, very tasty. There are 6 options total and the portions are generally large enough for 3-4 meals as a VSG post op. You may need to wait a few months to be able to handle ingredients like spinach. Try it out!!

Check out their "hidden menu" I was there the other day with a group of ladies and ordered the power humus and chicken salad. Oh Wow! Was it ever good! Packed with Protein and so stinkin good it was ridiculous! About 300 calories and 30 or so grams of protien if I recall. They have 6 or 7 items on it and I sure can't wait to try every one of them. Of course, can't come close to finishing it but wowza! was it good!

I'm 11 weeks out and have lost 32 post op and 45 including pre op. Not as fast as others but it's coming off and I know it will never come back!

Congrats on your success! I can say happily, I know EXACTLY how you feel! :)

it does feel good to Feel Normal and still see weight loss!! Wish I did this 10 years ago!!

Funny ya'll should mention the "secret menus". I just read this article. It lists some of the more popular fast food joints that offer a healthy alternative "secret menu." And it has links to some of the "secret menus." Panera is on the list.

http://health.yahoo....st-food-finds#6

Have you heard of the Panera bread "secret menu?" This was rolled out to all locations in January 2013. You just need to ask about it at the register as you will not find any of the items on the visible menu. All hidden menu item are " healthy" in the sense they are low carb, high Protein and, in my opinion, very tasty. There are 6 options total and the portions are generally large enough for 3-4 meals as a VSG post op. You may need to wait a few months to be able to handle ingredients like spinach. Try it out!!

WHAT ??? Well that irritates me because why do we have to ASK for a healthy menu, why can't they just POST it on their regular menu? I will definitely ask about this from now on. I used to order a half salad with chicken on top and mostly just eat the chicken and a few bites of the salad.

Thanks for sharing that!

This is very interesting, thank you. Quick question, I am 6 weeks out and havent had salad yet, my nut said its a food people commonly have trouble with. So far no problems with anything, yay. So how is everyone doing with lettuce/salad? How long should I wait to try?

Funny ya'll should mention the "secret menus". I just read this article. It lists some of the more popular fast food joints that offer a healthy alternative "secret menu." And it has links to some of the "secret menus." Panera is on the list.

The Wendy's and Cosi's options look really good! Time to go exploit them. :)

This is very interesting' date=' thank you. Quick question, I am 6 weeks out and havent had salad yet, my nut said its a food people commonly have trouble with. So far no problems with anything, yay. So how is everyone doing with lettuce/salad? How long should I wait to try?[/quote']

salad may take you 5 or 6 months until you can process it without problem. There are some that can do it earlier the that, but most struggle on the raw vegetables. I was able to eat small side salads in month 5 and full salads (saved 1/2-3/4 for later) at month 7. Beef was a struggle until month 6. Today, I can eat almost any vegetable or Protein. I do not eat simple carbs or starches like bread or Cereal. No wheat - keeps you healthy. I do eat carbs like fruit and quinoa oats. The good part about eating healthy carbs, fats and Protein is that you do not need to track beyond some simple guidelines. No cravings for the surgery, fat or salt any longer.

This is very interesting, thank you. Quick question, I am 6 weeks out and havent had salad yet, my nut said its a food people commonly have trouble with. So far no problems with anything, yay. So how is everyone doing with lettuce/salad? How long should I wait to try?

I'm 2.5 years post-op so there are no restrictions anymore. I was told no salad for at least 6 weeks, but I'm sure I waited much longer. Give your new small tummy time to heal, you can resume salad intake later.

The whole secret menu or hidden menu is to create buzz via social media. It just marketing, pure and simple. Of course, sometimes the person taking your order is the last to know about it. :huh:

Okay, THANK YOU JOATSAINT for posting this. You won't believe this...I went to Panera yesterday (my daughters turn to pick a place to eat) and I thought "okay, I'll just ASK for the 'hidden menu'"...OMG THEY WON'T GIVE YOU A MENU, you have to KNOW what you are ordering off the secret hidden menu. They had a bar-code scanner that you could scan with your smart phone but my app for that wasn't working. I was soooooooo ticked off. But YOUR post saved the day because you provided a LINK that in turn had another LINK so that I could SEE their menu and order.

Just all around f'ing ridiculous that I had to waste 10 minutes looking up their menu. Sheesh. Just put IT on the menu or don't but don't waste my time with all the secret hidden crap. I'm going to email them and tell them that exact thing.

Phew. Okay, rant over. I'm posting their menu here in case anyone else runs into what I did yesterday.

All that being said the power chicken hummus salad was VERY good. My husband ordered the last item, steak lettuce wrap, but be warned it is basically a steak salad (they already have a steak salad on their menu...he envisioned some steak with lettuce wrapped around it like a burrito). They serve these WITHOUT a a side of bread (which is good) but they are the same price as their other menu options that include bread. The only difference that I could tell is that they actually GIVE you more meat.

Power Breakfast Egg White Bowl with Roasted Turkey: Roasted all-natural, antibiotic-free turkey, egg whites, warm baby spinach, roasted peppers, and basil pesto. (The Skinny: 180 calories, 7g carbs, 25g protein)

Power Breakfast Egg Bowl with Steak: Two all-natural eggs, seared top sirloin, sliced avocado and tomatoes. (The Skinny: 230 calories, 5g carbs, 20g protein)

Power Mediterranean chicken Salad: All-natural, antibiotic-free chicken, baby spinach, romaine, tomatoes, apple-wood smoked bacon, diced eggs, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil. (The Skinny: 360 calories, 12g carbs, 35g protein)

Power Mediterranean Roasted Turkey Salad: All-natural, antibiotic-free roasted turkey, baby spinach, romaine, tomatoes, red onions, kalamata olives, fresh squeezed lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. (The Skinny: 320 calories, 12g carbs, 22g protein)

Power Chicken Hummus Bowl: All-natural, antibiotic-free chicken, with cilantro jalapeno hummus, baby spinach, cucumbers, diced tomatoes & red onions finished with fresh squeezed lemon & fresh chopped cilantro. (The Skinny: 330 calories, 23g carbs, 33g protein)

Power Steak Lettuce Wrap: Seared top-sirloin, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, diced tomatoes, red onions, basil pesto and finished with fresh lemon juice. (The Skinny: 210 calories, 7g carbs, 28g protein)

M2g- Your experience with the secret menu at Panera sounds like you were a little unlucky or perhaps the clerks were not trained right. Usually, I ask them what is on the secret menu and they recite it for me. You can tell it is not printed anywhere because they always recite it from memory. It is bizarre why they will not even give the workers a menu to refer to! Maybe someday these healthier menu options will make it up onto the visible menu. The sooner the better.

My favorite item has been the chicken, spinach hummus one, but it is still too much food to eat at one time. It comes in a huge bowl so do not even try to eat it in one sitting!

Im 5 mo post op and my tummy cannot handle lettuce.. makes it hurt.. but I can eat the panera breads... my hubby and I usually go split a high Protein sammich... we do have a secret menu at ours but I have not asked for that yet.. I will have to go ask them and see if they have something to hand to me or if they recite it from memory.. Ive seen in on the panera website.. worth checking out.. some say wendys chili is a good source of protein.. too bad my tummy doenst like chili either.. there is a lot my tummy doesnt like at all.. but hey thats ok.. Im glad it likes salmon and tuna for sure. lol.. best of luck to everyone.