Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sixties!

I am here too. 65 years old Surgery date May 4th. I kind of thought I was too old too but my dr also said this will be a good surgery for me, and lots of older people have had success with the sleeve.

the mams

Good for you! I had my sleeve done in November 2013, at 60 years old and it has changed my life. It is a wonderful tool. Listen to your Dr.'s and stay the course. I feel and look twenty years younger and you will too. Sassy Tink!

To all of my sixty something freinds in the process of WLS or contemplating it, think about this. I had my surgery a few months before my 62nd birthday, I was almost 62 and felt almost 90. Aches in all my joints, frequent doctor appointments to monitor my co-morbidities, and nothing was getting better. I remember just feeling old and a few years from retirement and thinking, what am I going to be like when I will finally have time for myself and will I be a burden on my family as my health deteriorates. Hell, just bending over to tie my shoes was an ordeal. Does any of that sound familiar? So what's it like today? I feel 10- 15 years younger! Off most meds, no more sleep apnea, I can walk for miles, and not only can I tie my shoes with ease I can finally look down and see them. I finally feel like I can keep up with the kids, I feel like I've gotten off the bench and gone from a spectator to a participant in life. So, are we too old to go through this? Absolutely not! I know there are lots of hoops to jump through (it took me over a year), and surgery is scary, but look in the mirror and ask yourself what your life will be like if you do nothing.

I

m sixty one and just had my VSG surgery on 5/14/15. It is really different being in my age category and having this surgery. Results and expectations seem to be different. My body is taking longer to heal and the surgery was no piece of cake, but then I didn't expect to just get up and get off the table and walk away!

My biggest surprise was that the scale didn't move for several days. Finally, after reading some of the post, I figured out it was because of the Fluids used during surgery, IV fluids, etc. On day 5 post op, the scale really started to show a loss and I was ecstatic. And yes, I have been hungry - mostly "head hunger" because I am a self-proclaimed foodie! Very uncomfortable for the last 3 days, craving for certain foods. I used some creative culinary skills to get through this, making broth and Soup from scratch. This phase is passing into the "mushy stage" which couldn't come fast enough in my opinion.

Since I didn't do this for cosmetic reasons, but for health reasons, I hadn't been thinking a lot about my Goal numbers, I am finally starting to work on both long and short term goals for the next month, to the next six months. There'a lot of planning ahead needed to be successful.

Anyway, that's my journey so far!

just curious, I've seen several people say that the 60s plus doesn't post that much. Could anyone tell me why? Too busy, don't think it's important, doesn't find it helpful? Let me know!

Thanks.

I'm 64 and had my VSG and hiatal hernia repair on Wednesday, May 20. I've had extensive abdominal surgery decades ago and my surgeon was anticipating some adhesions. When he got in there he said he never saw anything like it. It took over 3 hours just to lyse and clear most of them before he could start on my hernia repair and sleeve. I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because of severe nausea and vomiting, but I'm home now and doing well. I still have a lot of abdominal pain, especially getting up, but it is getting better and I am dealing with it. I will remain on Clear Liquids until May 28 when I have my follow-up appointment, and then move to full liquids. I haven't had any hunger pangs yet, and the thought of eating anything makes me nauseous. I stepped on the scale soon after my surgery and had an 11 lb gain due to IV fluids. I'm down 8 and feel I will get rid of the rest today. So far I'm only able to sip Water as the flavored waters seem too sweet tasting to me. I tried some chicken broth and Jello while in the hospital and could only get a couple of spoons down before I felt full. I'm taking 3 weeks off from work (my surgeon recommended 4 weeks) so I will have time to get past the healing process before I jump back into the rear race. I hope all the sixties have a relatively easy time of it. We are a strong bunch! Stay tuned for updates!

Hoping for my VSG 2-3rd wk of June. Will be 67. Already feeling better since started preop. Have lost nearly 30 lbs, have been doing weight and strength training with personal trainer 3x wk for over 3 months and am doing 250-300 min of cardio weekly. I wanted to get started getting healthier before my surgery. I'm hoping this will help me recuperate quicker after surgery. I'm already thrilled that pain in a hip is gone and I don't get out of breath as quickly. I want to get off high blood pressure medicine ASAP and be "med free."

Hello I'm 61. Had RYN 3 weeks ago . I'm down 21 lbs..! Still a little sore but other than that no problems! Hope everyone is doing well also!

Kathy

Today marks two weeks since my VSG and I feel wonderful! I feel no pain, I feel no hunger and have even forgotten to eat several times which I need to work on. I lose more weight when I get all my Protein in. Since surgery I have lost 16 lbs and since starting my preop diet I've lost 34 lbs! My clothes are starting to get baggy, but I'm ready! I've got plenty to keep me nicely clothed until size 12/14. Yep, I've kept clothing because I knew I'd need them again someday. (I kept only the most fashionable, of course!????). Once I go through those 12/14s, I'm going on a clothes shopping spree! The sad news: I have to go back to work next week. I've really enjoyed my time off except the first few days. Oh, and I started on puréed foods yesterday!! That made me HAPPY!

Just got back from the doc and two week check up. She was very happy with my progress and oked me to start swimming again, Anyone else here making plans for exercise program? What are you doing?]

I returned to the medical gym I started going to before surgery and have been using the treadmill, recumbent bike and the stepper, although that is still a little much for me. They check our vitals before and after exercise and give us guidance along the way. Most of the clients are there for cardiac rehab but many like me just feel safer exercising here since I've had previous heart surgery. The only thing I wish they had was a pool as my surgeon said I can start swimming next week. I'm just happy to get back at it!

Two years ago today I had my surgery. I was 66 years old, looked older, had terrible joint pain and was using a cane. Size 24 at 284 pounds.

Today the joint pain is virtually gone although some back pain lingers. The cane is in storage. Size 8 at 152 pounds.

I have been maintaining for over a year and it goes well. Just behind marrying my wonderful husband, having surgery was the best decision I ever made in my life.

Hi Fellow Sleevers!

I've been on this site since my sleeve on 5/14/15 and hoping we can revive ongoing conversation ( some of the posts here are older). I'm guessing many of you have been sleeved for a while or already met your goals. Any new sixtyish sleevers or going to be sleevers out there?

Let me report in: I have had a 22 lb weight loss ( sometimes swings back and forth a few tenths of a lb) including liquid diet. the weight loss isn't fast for me but it is consistent, and I'm thrilled to have hit Onederland last week! Some of the best side benefits so far are not being hungry, blood pressure is lower, knees don't hurt, and clothing that was tight is almost falling off now.

Went clothes shopping yesterday and that was frustrating! Although my current clothes look sloppy-loose, I can't yet fit into the next size down:-( Spent the afternoon trying and failing. so finally just went and got a mani pedi and called it a day.

Any of you more experienced sleevers want to comment on your weight loss and how long it took to go down in sizes? How did you manage the in between times and impatience with size?? Would love to revive our chat asupport group for the Sixties!

I am 64 and see the Dr. For my last visit Thursday. They will have everything in by then and I pray my insurance approves. I thought I was too old. I'm doing this for health reasons. Will sure be nice if it helps all my health problems but I want to be more mobile too. Just retired and love to travel. Has anyone noticed how far you have to walk in airports? Lol